Maruti Working on 800CC Diesel Engine For A-Star

Thread Starter #1
The home grown engine is expected to find a place under the hood of Suzuki’s new small car that would replace the Maruti A-Star and the Estilo in India. Regular Indian Autos Blog readers know that the car has already started testing in Europe.

Financial Express reports that according to its sources, the new car would be showcased at the Auto Expo 2014 and the diesel engine will go on board sometime in the later stages of the year. The car in question is internally known by the codename YL7.

During the launch, the car will be available with the 1.0 litre K-Series petrol motor. Details about the new 800cc diesel engine are a bit sketchy at this point in time, but Maruti is likely to target a fuel efficiency of 30kpl.

Currently, the smallest oil burner available in India is the Chevrolet Beat’s 1.0 liter motor which is nothing but the Fiat 1.3 MultiJet minus one cylinder. While the upcoming 2014 Hyundai i10 is expected with a diesel engine, it would be a 1.1-liter unit and Hyundai is planning to position it above the current i10. Introducing a compact and frugal diesel motor in the entry level hatchback segment could help Maruti stay on top of its game.

Source : Next gen Maruti A-Star to sport an 800cc diesel engine

Re: Maruti working on an 800cc diesel engine for A-Star

If it is 800cc, it is likely to be a 2 cylinder version of 1.3 MJD. Do 2 cylinder engines also suffer from poor NVH ? I thought no since they aren't unbalanced like a 3 cylinder engine.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Maruti working on an 800cc diesel engine for A-Star

If it is 800cc, it is likely to be a 2 cylinder version of 1.3 MJD. Do 2 cylinder engines also suffer from poor NVH ? I thought no since they aren't unbalanced like a 3 cylinder engine.
Even Hyundai has developed a 3 cylinder 1.1ltr engine for I10 grand and a TD review shows it has a refiend engine. Let us see how Maruti brings such engine to market. Also the FE could reach 30kmpl.

Global debut for Maruti hatchback at Auto Expo 2014

Dec 30, 2013
Maruti-Suzuki, India’s largest car maker will unveil an all-new hatchback at the 2014 Auto Expo in Delhi this February. This new hatchback known by its internal code, YL7 is the first international model from Suzuki to make its global debut at the Delhi Auto Expo.

Suzuki’s new global small car has been designed for a global audience looking for an affordable and practical hatch. Slated to replace the Splash (Ritz) and the Alto(A-star) in the European market, in India the YL7 will however take the place of the discontinued Zen Estilo and A-star. The YL7 will initially be powered Suzuki’s three-cylinder K10 petrol which has been upgraded to offer class-leading fuel economy.

There are no immediate plans to launch a diesel as the packaging is too tight to accommodate the Fiat-sourced 1.3 Multi-jet motor. At a later stage however, it is likely that Suzuki’s very own two-cylinder diesel motor will find its way under the hood. The YL7 which is much more spacious than the cars it replaces will take the hot-selling Hyundai Grand i10.
Global debut for Maruti hatchback at Auto Expo 2014 | Car News | Budget hatchbacks | Autocar India

Attachments

Spied – Next gen Maruti A-Star (Maruti Celerio) caught uncamouflaged

Maruti has been testing the next generation A-Star (Suzuki Alto) for nearly a year now. Codenamed YL7, the next generation model was shown in concept form at the 2013 Thailand International Motor Expo which took place in late November last year. The concept was called ‘Concept A:Wind‘.

Pictures of the production A:Wind have now emerged thanks to Motoroids reader, Dhananjay. As you can see, Maruti is photographing the car for its initial communication material and brochures. The world debut of this global small hatchback will take place at the Auto Expo next month.

We reported first that Maruti (and Suzuki) could choose to ditch the ‘A-Star’ and ‘Alto’ nameplates, using the ‘Celerio’ name on the global hatchback. While the company is yet to announce any details, we stand by our report and think the hatchback will indeed be called Celerio, and not A-Star.

Initially, only a petrol variant of the Celerio is expected to be made available. The 1.0-liter, three-cylinder, K-Series unit will produce 68 PS at 6,200 rpm and 90 Nm of torque at 3,500 rpm as on the A-Star. Its 5-speed manual transmission would be carried over as well.

Speculations are also rife that Maruti may use their self-developed, two-cylinder diesel engine later on in the Celerio.

Attachments

ET is reporting that YL7 will have a clutch-free manual transmission (AMT).

Introduced in its upcoming global hatchback (codename:YL7), which will make its world debut at the New Delhi Auto Expo 2014, it allows the driver to directly change gears without engaging the clutch. Maruti is going to name the new offering Celerio in India, it is learnt. "It gives the comfort of an automatic transmission and the fuel efficiency of a manual transmission," said a senior Maruti Suzuki executive, requesting anonymity. "Customers can change gears like any automatic transmission car b ..

I think this is their A wind combination of Estilo and A Star and they have named it as Celerio, read this from drivespark.com

Maruti New Compact Car For India To Be Called Celerio

The much talked about upcoming compact car from Suzuki, known until now by its codename YL7 and previewed by the A-Wind Concept at the Thailand International Motor Show in November 2013, now has a name. Celerio. Suzuki Celerio is destined to be the replacement model for the Maruti Suzuki A-Star as well as the now discontinued Zen Estilo. In international markets, Europe for instance, the Celerio will be the next gen Alto (A-Star in India), bringing the end to the ‘Alto' badge outside India. Interestingly, the Celerio name is already in use in certain markets as a suffix to the Alto name
Read more at: Maruti New Compact Car For India To Be Called Celerio - Drivespark

Attachments

I think dimension wise it would be near to Grand i10.

To me or not, does it look like Datsun Go ?
Check this and decide , the front grill looks very polo style [:)]

The soon to be launched Maruti Suzuki Celerio (codenamed YL7) has been caught undisguised in ZXi trim at the Buddh International Circuit by MotorBeam reader Jaymin Acharay. In terms of styling, the Maruti Celerio looks confident with its new design language derived from the Suzuki A-Wind Concept. The front fascia of the Maruti Celerio reveals a broad stance with a swept back design tone. The brawny wrap-around headlamps are neatly connected with two slats of chrome on the grille and there is a separate circular fog lamp housing up front. The side profile consists of a strong shoulder line emerging from the front fender that rises up to the hip of the Celerio. Another crease runs below to give the Maruti Celerio a good presence.
The Maruti Celerio’s rear profile hints of the Maruti Alto 800 and somewhat Hyundai i20 with its tail lamps. The rear bumper is big and chunky and you can notice a roof integrated rear spoiler. Other noticeable bits are the 6-spoke alloy wheels and rear view mirror integrated blinkers. Expect the interiors to be roomy and fresh, having light colour trims. The Maruti Suzuki Celerio will be offered with the 1.0-litre K10 petrol engine initially. This engine produces 67 BHP of maximum power with 90 Nm of peak torque, mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The car will rival the Hyundai Grand i10.
Maruti Suzuki will also introduce an automatic manual transmission system with the Celerio, which is a clutch-less transmission that reduces stress while driving in congested traffic conditions and returns good fuel efficiency. The Maruti Celerio will also be offered with a new diesel engine that will be launched by the end of this year. It will be a 800cc, 2-cylinder unit. Maruti Suzuki will launch the Celerio at the 2014 Auto Expo and deliveries are expected to commence soon after the launch. The expected on-road Mumbai price of the Maruti Celerio is in the range of Rs. 4.60 – 5.95 lakhs for the petrol variants.
Read more at 2014 Maruti Suzuki Celerio Pictures | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Attachments

Its confusing-its almost as big as a swift?- The A-star is much smaller-pictures of-course could be v misleading.
Not sure if the petrol avatar will ruffle the grand i,unless its more affordable. Perhaps that would be marutis strategy?
The 800cc diesel-well -mouth watering mileage and hopefully costs,with the maruti-suzuki label looks like another high-selling maruti!

6 lakh for top end petrol,so where does that leave Maruti to price a diesel?Hope the management is not smoking leaves to expect people to buy this for 7 lakhs,even if it runs on kerosene!A proper diesel car in swift is available for 7.5 on road.

There is a media drive being conducted tomorrow for Celerio. Saw a tweet from Renuka Kriplani of Autocar to that effect.

PS: A-wind concept's front bumper and grille has taken cues from new Honda's exciting H design.
celerio-jazz.jpg

Top Bottom