Maruti Wagon-R Confusion: Which Variant Do I Get?

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone! I know, I know it's been way too long since I last showed up on here. Work hasn't been kind, lol. Anyway, dad and I have planned to part ways with our Jeep (family member since 2006) and get a convenient automatic hatch for a change. All of us in the family are very nit-picky about seating position and road visibility. Being used to vehicles like the jeep and the Scorp, yeah we're a tough bunch to please. Anyway, after much thought and deliberation, we settled on the WagonR. The car has definitely stood the test of time so we're not too sceptical about it. The budget this time is strictly limited to 6L. I was wondering however about what model to choose. The AGS (automatic) is available in three models - VXi 1.0, VXi 1.2 and ZXi 1.2. The ZX series is out of the budget window already but I'm having second thoughts about the 1.0 vs 1.2 thingy. Would love it if anyone can clear my head. Thanks!

If budget permits, always the 1.2 VXI AGS makes more sense, way better than a 3 cylinder 1.0. Also if its going to be 3-4 people in the car for long drives, the 1 litre engine is really not the one worth considering, as it is boring, not as refined as a 1.2, and surely the fuel efficiency thing is a myth(with 3-4 occupants and AC), or else you have to be an extremely slow couch type of a driver. I have used the k10 Manual (currently in the family) and Ritz(2011 to 2014) which had the 1.2 engine, so having a taste of both engines, it should be the 1.2 hands down.
Also do remember if its the refinement of engine & drive which matters to you on daily drives, again it has to be the 1.2 over 1.0, as its an AGS you are looking for, 3 pot engines are really not the benchmark when considered for refinement with AGS systems. And at last with the 1.0 3 pot engine there is always that metalic 'thrum' you have to live with, where as the 1.2 will give you rhythmic 'vroom', take a back to back test drive of both and you will surely appreciate what I am talking about.
The price difference between 1.0 VXI AGS & 1.2 VXI AGS is just around 30k between both the models so you get a lot more of a car/refinement/satisfaction/pleasure/power for that money.

Last edited:

Top Bottom