Maruti Swift DIY Carputer and ICE Installation - First on TAI

Thread Starter #1
Hi Mates, I've installed a DIY Carputer in my Swift.I haven't taken the pics of installation.But Maybe I can disassemble it once again and show you later.I apologize for bad quality pics because I've clicked it through a mobile cam.

21062011.jpg

21062011(002).jpg

21062011(006).jpg

21062011(010).jpg

This was old setup and now I dont have a HU and no radio[cry].Hope to get some radio modules.

06072011(001).jpg

06072011(003).jpg

This is the new setup and I like it a lot.
And here is the GPS receiver.

16072011(002).jpg

Hope you all like my DIY stuff.All your suggestions and comments are welcome.Frontend I use is Centrafuse (30 day trial).If I buy that,I may have to pay a hefty price.Other options are in car Terminal(iCT-free) and media engine etc.Suggestions needed.

Cheers

Re: DIY Carputer And ICE installation!!

nice stuff
what's carputer config .
what's the cost of that monitor
also do share more detail about you carputer like where did you installed it,etc

Thread Starter #3
Re: DIY Carputer And ICE installation!!

Thanks mate.Following are the carputer configs.

Asus M2N68AM SE2 -Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2-Processor
2GB ddr2 ram
160 watt DC-DC psu with ITPS.
7" touchscreen LCD.
Cabinet was made from my old cd player(a DIY)[clap]
Mercury ext. DVD writer(not fitted yet as I need a usb extension)
160 GB pata HDD
GPS receivers.
Its now directly connected to a JBL CS1215T basstube(12") via Sony Xplod XMGTX6042 amp(4 ch.).
My Speakers are all pioneers.
2 ovals and 2 front speakers.

Parts like motherboard,processor,ram,etc are available in the local market.
And what I found it difficult was sourcing the screen and psu.
I have done it myself that too a DIY.It was difficult for me to find any carputer installers here in cochin.

Cheers

350Z

Core Team
Re: Maruti Swift DIY Carputer and ICE Installation

Fantastic and an extremely commendable job there, Mohan. More information, step by step guide and clear pictures will be very helpful for those who are looking to perform a similar DIY on their Swift. You have put the empty space storage space below HVAC controls into a good use. But is it convenient to operate it there?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6

I had to pay some 8600 Rs including the shipping and customs duty.Iride,MH quoted me a price of Rs 17600+ for lilliput touchscreen.
And I've got this from China.But the quality is good.
If you need such screens we can get it much cheaper from there.[:D]

I've used the empty space to mount the screen but it was difficult for rear passengers to view anything on the screen.Then used the 2DIN space to mount the screen and its fits perfectly.Yeah I'll try to try to put a step by step guide on this soon.And pls note that Mohan is my father and my name is Arjun(username ACMohan).

Thanks everyone for the compliment.

Last edited:

Hey Arjun that's a great DIY , kudos to you. But how is this carputer useful to you apart from show-off?

Thread Starter #8

Hey Cooldhaya,first of all thanks for your compliment.The carputer is not just a mere show-off.We may think what's the use of those computers in a car.But there are many reasons..
1)Carputer has immense possibilities mate.We can even add a DSP to it and make it sound better.
2)It supports all the formats of media.Even if a new format is on the way,we can just play it by installing a codec.
3)OBD2 scanning:In this way we can get real time data about a car.And sadly Swift uses a different protocol[cry],I think.We can even clear those check engine codes by ourselves.
4)We dont have to carry our CD Bags everywhere we go.
5)If we have wifi adapter,we'll able to access the internet wirelessly.We can use pocket internet also.
and much more..
I will tell you in the following posts.
Cheers Mate

Hmmm yes i would like to know what exactly are the uses of a carputer when we have laptops at cheap prices these days. I find the OBD scanning to be useful but rest apart we have the latest 2-DIN video players and laptops to satisfy those needs right?

Thread Starter #10

Hmmm yes i would like to know what exactly are the uses of a carputer when we have laptops at cheap prices these days. I find the OBD scanning to be useful but rest apart we have the latest 2-DIN video players and laptops to satisfy those needs right?
Yeah I know a laptop can do the work of a carputer.But will you be able to use those while in car.Will it looks good when we place those on the dashboard.And those new generation players are worth the money.But will it be able to play all the file formats.To avoid all these clutters,it will be better to invest in a carputer.
Your question is very good although..
Please feel free to ask anything about this.I'll answer if I know.

Cheers Buddy.[cheers]

Hmmm what are the total costs involved bro? I was also in two minds whether to get a carputer or a 2-DIN touch screen player but finally went for the player. Till now no problems with that , it has been playing all formats and it costed me around 25k.

Thread Starter #12

If you already have an old computer,you can just rebuild it to a carputer.And since you already have AUX Input,you can connect it to the speakers simply.And what you need is a PSU and touchscreen.Touchscreens are better as it is difficult to use other input devices in a car.Both PSU and monitor come under Rs 12000(for both).[:D]

zengetz

Suspended

ACMohan : First off congratulations on setting up the Switfputer :)
Im planning to get one done in a week or two too. However, my approach is a bit offkey one.

I have an old laptop that has been sitting for ages (Dell-P4 2.4 Ghz), I used it as a CPU for some time as the screen was spoilt and I connected it to a Monitor and used it with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Now, Im planning to hook it up with a Touch Screen Monitor and load Centrafuse on it with all the goodie apps available.

My question however is, the Audio part how do you connect it from a 3.5mm from the Laptop's soundcard Audio Out to the Amplifier ? Is there something else that I may be missing ?

Looking forward to your answer bro.

Many congratulations!

This surely is a masterpiece. Please share what made you to think of this carputer, detailed procedure followed to get this done and the advantages you are enjoying after the DIY.

Great work buddy!

Thread Starter #15

Thanks zengetz for the compliment.You can connect the RCA cables to the computer's sound card by using an adapter.I've attached a picture of it.

Image0500.jpg

The First one is a DIY adapter and I bought the other two from a local electronics shop for Rs 10 each[:D].
But it was a bit loose,so I had to use the DIY adapter and its working fine.
If you have a HU with AUX IN,you can connect the computer to the speakers through it.Using a laptop is better option as you can connect it to 12v(regulated supply) and you may not need a DC-DC psu.
Have you got the touchscreen?Just PM me if you want one.

Eager to see your Carputer setup
Cheers And all the best.

Top Bottom