Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I was since few months Driving Dad's old Maruti 800(which is 16yrs young) for some time and never felt the need of another car. The M800 was serving me well and I did the necessary repairs related to the old age issues of the car and she was(still is) running just fine.

On a Fine Sunday Morning(29/03/2014) saw an ad in a local newspaper regarding ongoing financial year end discounts valid upto 31st March. It spiked an interest in me for the Wagon R as it was within budget and I have driven my friend's Waggie a lot to appreciate her practicality and ease of driving. So me and wifey took off to the nearest dealer at around 11am and saw a Stingray in glistening grey adorning some real estate of the shop floor. My heart immediately knew "THIS IS IT".

Asked the sales representative for the price, discounts, offers, etc. and found the VXi model to be well within my budget of 5Lakhs.

However I wanted the Optional model with ABS and Airbag and was ready to extend the budget for that.

They told me that VXi(O) model is made to order and it isn't there at their stock.

I told them to somehow manage and give me the optional model irrespective of colour. They told it will take time. I took a look at the Swift too but found it to be out of budget. So took a brochure and the price list and went to the market to do the weekly shopping.

In the back of my mind I was contemplating other options too and decided to test the Honda Brio. Though slightly out of budget, test drove the SMT model and found it to be ok, even the wife liked it.

After a discussion with her decided against the Brio.

Brio likes:

1. Spacious interiors, airy and roomy feeling.

2. Outstanding i-Vtec Engine with precise and slick gear shifts.

3. Height adjustable driver's seat.

Brio dislikes:

1. Outdated looking dashboard and controls.

2. Less boot space(maybe better than the Waggie).

3. Look of the rear(subjective).

4. Slightly above 5.2Lakh pricing without ABS/Airbag(Wagon R VXI optional comes at around the same price of the SMT).

That very Evening the Maruti sales representative called me and asked me whether I want to confirm the booking of the Grey Stingray as it was the only one piece of grey available in their stock and they have got another ready buyer. I asked him to give me another day to think it of and decide.

Next day I went to Office and called all the major dealers in the state(Assam) regarding the availability of the VXi(O) version but none of them had it in their stock and a minimum of 2 months was quoted. Most of them didn't even had the Glistening Grey colour. However in a nearby district(Tinsukia) one dealer told they have only one piece of Glistening Grey VXi and asked me to book it asap.

So I went to the dealer in my area and got to know their single piece was sold as I didn't confirm them the booking the previous day. Called up the Tinsukia dealer and told them that I will go the next day to book the car. I was in a mind that booking amount of a car is around Rs.5000 and will provide the rest of the amount by demand draft. That night I kept thinking of which model to go for- the VXi or the VXi(O).

VXi(O) has the added safety features but total delivery time will take more than two months.

VXi is readily available and as the Auspicious festival of Bihu is approaching, I can have it for Bihu.

Finally took the plunge and decided to get the VXi.

The next day(31/03/2014) dealer called me to deposit cash of Rs.2 Lakh and confirm the booking. I asked what for I have to pay so much in cash as I am ready to pay the entire amount by Cheques. They told me as only one piece of my desired colour is available and the ongoing discount is available only upto 31/03/2014, to avail the discount I have to book on that day itself. After some bargaining the amount came down to One Lakh(wonder if I could have lowered it even more). Somehow managed to gather cash of One Lakh by transacting money to two of my friends' accounts and withdrawing via their ATM cards as daily withdrawal limit of one card is Rs.40000.

Reached the dealer at 5pm and asked them to show me the car. They took me to where the car was parked among many others and wasn't even washed. And the representative didn't had the key to the particular car so he requested me to see another VXi car(will share the dealer experience later).
I gave them the cash and the cheques amounting to a total of Rs.4.87 Lakh on-the-road inclusive of registration and insurance.
Came Home and had to wait for another day as 01/04/2014 was bank holiday.

On 2nd April called up the dealer to inform me immediately when the cheques were realized. My cheques were realized by 7pm that day and I told them I will go to them the next day as it was already late and didn't wanted to get delivery during dark. Next day along with my Wife and friend went to take delivery and got my Glistening Grey Wagon R Stingray VXi with 5l of petrol sans any accessories.

Contd...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for your New Car. Its my one of the favorite car.
Since you have opted for non-ABS variant even you have budget for it, you could do one more thing to get replace your ICE with new one that supports Video/Audio + Camera + Maps support.

AVH-X8590BT | [just for example.]

Hearty congratulations.Wish you many miles of happy driving.Wagon R is the best when it comes to height and superb to manuer around.

Warm congratulations pal... Wish you happy miles. She shines like a grey star. It is always best as a toll boy car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Congrats on your wise purchase.. ]

Aren't steering mount controls are provided with VXI ?

I too own Glistering Grey Wagon R VXI.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-tallboy-waggie-pre-owned-wagon-r-2011-a.html
Thank You bro. Steering mounted controls are there in the VXi(O) version only.
Your Waggie looks cool

Congrats on your new waggy. Nice review and pictures.
Thank You

Congrats for your New Car. Its my one of the favorite car.
Since you have opted for non-ABS variant even you have budget for it, you could do one more thing to get replace your ICE with new one that supports Video/Audio + Camera + Maps support.

AVH-X8590BT | [just for example.]
Thank You. At present I have no plans for upgrading the ICE as the stock one is decent enough and is a huge leap over the one in the Wagon Rs of about 2 years ago. Maybe after some time I will opt for it. BTW the pioneer one looks nice.

Hearty congratulations.Wish you many miles of happy driving.Wagon R is the best when it comes to height and superb to manuer around.
Thank You. Its because of this reason I went for this tried and tested work horse.

Warm congratulations pal... Wish you happy miles. She shines like a grey star. It is always best as a toll boy car.
Thank You bhai

Congratulations brother. Wish you many happy miles with your tallboy[clap]
Thank You brother.

Congrats on the new ride. Any mods planned?
Thank You. I purchased 7.5W H8 LED bulbs to replace the stock ones(35W) in the fog lamps. I found the stock ones not to be of much use and the low beam HIDs are awesome. So decided to replace the stock bulbs and plug in the H8 LEDs to use them as DRL[:D]. Not sure how it would look though, just giving it a try.
link: Super Bright 7 5W H8 Car Vehicle White Day Driving Fog LED Light Bulb Lamp ES9P | eBay
Last month got an analogue temperature gauge and a hygrometer from ebay. Will post the installed pics soon. till then here is the linky: Car Mini Steel Core Mechanics Thermometer Moisture Meter Hygrometer | eBay

On 6th April(the day before first phase of election) I was busy with election duty as yours truly was appointed as presiding officer in reserve. Got relieved from duty at 5pm and took the Stingray to Digboi(my native).
The next day on 7th, along with wifey and Mom went to Temple for Puja and returned to Dibrugarh the same day.

Experience with the dealer:
Before the purchsae: On the day of booking i.e. 31st March I reached around 5pm and all the service technicians, helpers left and they showed me the unwashed car. They couldn't even provide me with the car keys as they "couldn't find the keys". So they introduced me to a white Stingray in VXi trim. First thing I checked was the intensity and throw of the HIDs. Throw was nice but the intensity didn't appeal to me much. But this perception changed once I drove the car a night. The HIDs were doing their part satisfactorily. Even with 100W Bosch bulbs and Hella wiring harness in my Maruti 800, the truckers didn't bother to use the dipper when I flashed but with the HIDs and H7 high beam bulbs in the Stingray night drives are so much better now.
Requested a friend to send me a list of PDI checklist to cross check things and because of good people like him the world is still a better place to live.

I asked the sales representative repeatedly to confirm me the manufacturing date but he couldn't provide me with any data. So I asked him for the VIN which again couldn't be gathered as the keys to the Car were not with him.
So I told him to check and tell me the VIN the very next day at the earliest and left the dealer.

1st April was a bank holiday so my cheques were left to be realized on 2nd April. However I even after repeated calls to the dealer I was deprived of the VIN. I was angry to a point that the sales representative got an earful from me, but still no VIN.
On 2nd April no one even bothered to attend my calls as the previous night all the dealer people were partying after closing accounts for the previous financial year and apparently made some huge profits. By 7pm that day all my cheques went through and I call up the representative(Luckily he took my call) and informed him that I will be at the dealer by noon and the Car should be washed/polished and all paper works to be completed by then so that there is no waiting for me. He promised.

During delivery:
Along with a friend and Wifey went to the dealer in the M800 and reached there by noon. Upon arriving they took out some papers and asked me to sign telling me that the Car is ready for delivery. I straight forwardly told him that I am not going to sign on anything untill and unless I get to see the Car and find everything is ok. And now the wait begins.
Apparently the Car was not yet washed and as it was Lunch time there was no one to do the needful. Tempers began to flare but I kept cool by exploring the other Cars in the showroom and in the meanwhile asked for the VIN. After getting and decoding the VIN I was Happy to know that the manufacturing month was Feb 14.
Waiting...waiting...waiting...had 2 cups of tea, a glass of water...stomach making wired sounds in hunger...finally at around 3pm we were asked to come to the back of the dealer where they would hand me over the Car.
Saw the Car gleaming in its metallic paint and polished interiors and my heart was leaping with Joy and Anticipation. Checked the Car thoroughly and was satisfied. Didn't care what they were explaining as I maybe knowing more than them[evil].
Came back for the paper work. Checked the papers, took the receipts and signed. It took some time too because of the ineffectiveness of the incompetent dealer staff but the time was occupied with thoughts and dreams and a framed picture gifted by the dealer depicting handing over of the key and a box of sweets.
There was no freebies on offer be it floor mats or even the basic mud flaps.
Will be extra determined to ask for such things before handing over the money the next time. hehe

Got a call from the insurance company(New India Assurance) regarding my verification and the person told me that the conversation will be recorded and a copy will be provided to me if I wish. They began explaining the intricacies and terms of claiming insurance and at the end I asked them to send me a copy of the converastion by mail which I have not received till date.
Took delivery and asked my friend)who was used to drive a Ritz) to drive back Home in the new car as he may not feel comfortable in the M800 without PS, AC and assisted brakes with over 60Km of highway to cover.
But he insisted that I drive the new car and managed to convince me.

Had Lunch on the way and returned back. My landlord who owns a 2007 Wagon R(rarely takes the car for only out of town drives and has kept the car is in pristine condition) appreciated on the purchase and told me how practical the Car is. Checked her thoroughly and pointed out to me the differences in both the cars with a generation gap.

Post delivery:
I provided the dealer with a copy of LIC premium(snapped by my %mp mobile cam) on the day of delivery as proof of address. A few days later they call me to inform that the picture is not much clear and asked to provide a scanned copy which I sent them the very next day.
I took out time to go through the Owners and ICE manuals and found out that a remote controller is also to be provided with the Car for the ICE. So I called the dealer and they told me to check the glove box and other storage compartments but it was not there. They told they will look into the matter and revert back the same day. However even after two days there was not a word from them. I called them up again and gave the sales rep an earful for not informing anything. to which he told that he mailed MSIL regarding the matter and MSIL delayed in replying which stated that a remote control is not provided with any Wagon R.
I asked him to forward me a copy of the email which he told he cannot however when I insisted that I wanted something in writing he asked me to come over to the dealer and he will write on paper and provide me with the same. I doubt anything of that sort will be of any value.
I was just pissed of with the attitude and working ethics and negligence of dealer staff taking customers for granted.

Anyways, I sent a mail to MSIL customer care regarding this and am awaiting their reply.

Drove the Car for about 500kms till date and will be going for the First Servicing next Monday.

Any pointers as to what are the things to look after during the first service?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Any pointers as to what are the things to look after during the first service?
Would suggest to refer the manual for all the check points on the First service. Its very important that speed restrictions needs to be adhered till first 1000 Kms or so which they would have mentioned in the manual.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Congrats on your Stingray.Stingray looks good in grey colour.My neighbour owns Stingray VXI in red colour and it is extremely better than normal Wagon-R.
Thank You...Stingray looks good in White colour too[:)]

Would suggest to refer the manual for all the check points on the First service. Its very important that speed restrictions needs to be adhered till first 1000 Kms or so which they would have mentioned in the manual.
Dropped her for first service Today
Asked them to fit mud flaps as they are not available in any of the accessories shops.
They were pushing me to purchase rain guards, floor mats and something they mentioned as "AC filter" which would keep out dust, pollutants etc from entering the cabin while the AC is on. I think its the pollen filter or something similar(please correct me if I am wrong).
However declined all three as I didn't see any urgent need of them and I have already purchased 3D mats from snapdeal which are yet to arrive.

Here is a pic of Today's job card:

Attachments

Top Bottom