Maruti Suzuki To Launch Wagon-R Diesel

Thread Starter #1
Breaking!!!

India is facing a situation of sky-rocketing fuel prices which is forcing the common man to burn a bigger and bigger hole in his pocket. The worst hit in this price game is the petrol which has touched almost Rs. 75 per litre in Delhi. 70% of the auto sales in India are hatchbacks and out of them, roughly 60% are the compact hatchbacks like the Chevrolet Beat, the Maruti Suzuki WagonR and the recently launched Hyundai EON. Sadly these cars don’t offer a diesel option making matters worse for the average consumer who can’t afford to buy a car like the Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel. A person who stays in a metro like Delhi or Mumbai has to commute for long distances daily for work, say about 2000 kms per month which makes his monthly running costs touch around Rs. 10,000/-.

Recently, Chevrolet had introduced the Beat Diesel in the Indian markets making a statement that diesel in compact hatchbacks are going to be the future of India. Going by the sales volumes, Maruti Suzuki has been the long time leader in this segment with its models like the WagonR. Currently the WagonR petrol variant is priced at Rs. 3.36 lakhs providing a lot of room for Maruti Suzuki to launch a diesel variant of the same car. The diesel engine could be a three cylinder variant of the 4 cylinder 1.3 litre engine that is powering the Ritz and the Swift making it aroung 970 cc. Power output could be around 58 PS with a healthy torque figure of about 150 Nm. The power figure could be slightly less but with the use of diesel it will definitely have a torquey engine suitable for city driving. Also, the diesel variant is going to bring down the running costs drastically, with fuel efficiency of around 25 kmpl. The same engine will make its way into other small Maruti cars, helping the company maintain its market share.

Source : Maruti Suzuki To Launch WagonR Diesel | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Re: Maruti Suzuki To Launch WagonR Diesel

is this true? i should have waited. Waggie is the only car in which i can seat comfortably

i guess them right , when the chevy introduced the beat with a cylinder missing in the national engine , i imagined , it can do the same duty in A-star , wagon R and in estilo.. err why not in alto too.

Enjoy the diesel madness!

Last edited:
[frustration][frustration] if i ever knew that MSIL would launch a diesel WagonR, i would have waited. even though my monthly run is very low. my 800 took 10 years to get to 62k km.

As of now Chevy beat is not that hit if same capacity engine is being introduced by Maruti then it would be a big game change.
Waiting for price strategy of Maruti hope it is not disappointing like new swift.

AMG

Suspended
Finally, a real threat to the Figo.

Though I personally think that the Figo is a much better car, only to be let down by the interiors.

Hi,
As we all know that Maruti Suzuki is a famous all over world.and the company are giving good response of customers.it is a good omen for cars lovers because Maruti launch wagon-r diesel.

Is this news really confirmed? The reason is I had heard copule of months / yrs back that Santro will be coming up in a diesel veriosn as well & I se no sign on the same.

the large engine bay was said by some to be an indicator of a larger diesel engine. if cars with diesel mills come at this rate government is sure going to go away with diesel subsidy.

the large engine bay was said by some to be an indicator of a larger diesel engine. if cars with diesel mills come at this rate government is sure going to go away with diesel subsidy.
No doubt about that, Question is only how soon? The government will do away with the subsidies for sure and its not just limited to Diesel. They already are doing away with the subsidies on fertilizers. And prices have gone up more than double for some. The impact of this will be seen through the increased prices of vegetables, Pulses and other essentials pretty soon.

About the Diesel engine for the Wagon R from Maruti, It could be the most efficient diesel mill in the country probably if its plonked into the Alto K10, It being lighter than the Wagon R.

Last edited:
Well a good idea,Prices should be kept considerably and a best alternative to beat D who looks for interior space along with a diesel engine.

About the Diesel engine for the Wagon R from Maruti, It could be the most efficient diesel mill in the country probably if its plonked into the Alto K10, It being lighter than the Wagon R.
Yes Alto K10 would be a nice car to fix a diesel motor,then we can expect prices below 5 lakhs on-road which sure is a winner.

Top Bottom