Maruti Suzuki To Launch Wagon-R Diesel

A much expected move from Maruti Suzuki ahead of increasing petrol prices. After Beat Diesel, i was expecting more companies to equip diesel hearts in their small cars. I hope Hyundai & Honda are reading this.

If this car becomes a true hot in market like Swift I guess the waiting period can be more than 1+ year [lol]

I am bit skeptical about the news.

Let us first think where will MSIL get the diesel engine. MSIL uses 1.3 FGT/VGT engine under license from Fiat. They have renewed license recently which is one of the reason for VW-Suzuki spat.

GM had partnership with Fiat during development of this engine and there have some ownership over it. Accordingly GM has produced/modified it to 3 cylinder version. Now I for one do not see GM giving it to Suzuki. So where will MSIL get this 3 cylinder version.

Yeah point .

How are you sure that gm will not give to suzuki. The sales of beat is also not as expected.

Gm may have made a good business with maruti , or will do , or who know a same 1.3L may be in. wait till the confirmed new to come. no other way.

ilango[speed thirst];113849 said:
How are you sure that gm will not give to suzuki. The sales of beat is also not as expected.
Beat was clocking around 2.5k mark prior to launch of diesel variant. Now it is comfortably breaching the 5k mark. So launch of diesel unit has given Beat the push it needed.

Market is tilting towards diesel units. So why would GM give the trump card to its competitor. A diesel WagonR will severely impact Beat.

350Z

Core Team
GM had partnership with Fiat during development of this engine and there have some ownership over it. Accordingly GM has produced/modified it to 3 cylinder version. Now I for one do not see GM giving it to Suzuki. So where will MSIL get this 3 cylinder version.
Fiat is developing New 1,000cc Diesel Engine similar to that we see on Beat. There is no confirmation about timeline but Maruti Suzuki might use it on their small cars.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fiat is developing New 1,000cc Diesel Engine similar to that we see on Beat. There is no confirmation about timeline but Maruti Suzuki might use it on their small cars.
Ok, this was the missing piece of the puzzle. I actually did not read the motorbeam link.

Link not opening up bro.

i think if this is coming up in few months (of course less than that of swift D), it will be a sigh of breath for the people like us.

Maruti Suzuki Wagon R diesel coming soon

Maruti Suzuki has been working on a small diesel engine and this will not just power their new compact hatchback, but even the existing Wagon R, A-Star and maybe even the Alto. This engine is likely to be a 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder diesel engine that could be similar to the Beat diesel engine.

However, we aren’t sure of the power ratings but Maruti Suzuki is using localised turbocharged for this new engine. Our sources confirm that Honeywell will supply the turbocharger for this engine, and even the Nano diesel. Honeywell is also supplying turbocharger to Honda for the Amaze.

The Wagon R’s diesel version is likely to hit the market sometime around the festive season. We have spotted a few European spec Alto’s being tested in and around the factory. Our sources indicate that this could be the diesel spec A-Star not just for India,

Courtesy: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-news/scoop-maruti-suzuki-wagon-r-diesel-coming-soon-10719.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Maruti Suzuki Wagon R diesel coming soon

Hope it is in BeatD's price too...
But if the price is more than a lack less than swift or ritz diesel then i doubt there will be a fall on sales of SwiftD andRitzD.
OR there is a chance that,
A-starD or WaghonRD take over the sales of RitzD or SwiftD.

Maruti have a history of Alto killing the most popular Zen for the same reason.

Let's wait and see.

Hope it is in BeatD's price too...
But if the price is more than a lack less than swift or ritz diesel then i doubt there will be a fall on sales of SwiftD andRitzD.
OR there is a chance that,
A-starD or WaghonRD take over the sales of RitzD or SwiftD.

Maruti have a history of Alto killing the most popular Zen for the same reason.

Let's wait and see.
Yes if MS put the pricing less it is going to be a game changer for entry level hatches. I would say a margin of Ritz sales will get affected by this move. But swift will rock always because there are people globaly who love it will go only for it. I have some friends who has exchanged swift for swifts.

Maruti Suzuki has been working on a small diesel engine and this will not just power their new compact hatchback, but even the existing Wagon R, A-Star and maybe even the Alto. This engine is likely to be a 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder diesel engine that could be similar to the Beat diesel engine.

However, we aren’t sure of the power ratings but Maruti Suzuki is using localised turbocharged for this new engine. Our sources confirm that Honeywell will supply the turbocharger for this engine, and even the Nano diesel. Honeywell is also supplying turbocharger to Honda for the Amaze.

The Wagon R’s diesel version is likely to hit the market sometime around the festive season. We have spotted a few European spec Alto’s being tested in and around the factory. Our sources indicate that this could be the diesel spec A-Star not just for India,

Courtesy: SCOOP: Maruti Suzuki Wagon R diesel coming soon | CarDekho.com
On the flipside, we heard that MS has stopped manufacturing diesel engines and diesel cars, so how did this news crop up all of a sudden?

If the same 3 cyl MJD comes into the Wagon-R, then Swift and Ritz is going to get less marks than beat IMO.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Update:

Buddies, According to latest report, my uncle today informed that Wagon R Diesel is in pipeline and might be launched soon. It could be coming around next month end or very early next year. Though he hinted to me that diesel 800 might also see light of the day as well. No scheduled date though is given at present for sub-1000cc diesel cars by Maruti.

Regards

Akash

Maruti should avoid launching the WagonR diesel because of the following reasons.
1. There is no requirement of diesel for this car
2. It is available in Petrol, LPG, CNG versions alrady since long time.
3. Cost would make it pricier for the car it is.
4. Suzukis Diesel engine the 800cc isn't good , I am yet to see a Celerio Diesel in my city which is flooded with Maruti Cars.
5. Since WagonR struggles with a bigger 1.0 L petrol engine, the smaller diesel wont do any good.

These are just my thoughts though, I think Maruti also knows these and they might launch the Diesel WagonR as an added version to the current offering.

I don't see any need of Diesel engine in this one, its doing good numbers, since ages and Maruti should be proud of it rather then bringing a new engine and creating the negative mindset in people's mind about that not so well recieved 800cc Diesel Engine.

Top Bottom