Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel Review & Pictures

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel Road Test Review

Nice review Akash, however, personally I would have wanted to see the SX4 with more power, but nonetheless, seems Maruti have got themselves a winner here.

Thread Starter #18

Nice review Akash, however, personally I would have wanted to see the SX4 with more power, but nonetheless, seems Maruti have got themselves a winner here.
Thanks jawa. Even i would have preferred a bigger heart.

Thats a nice review Akash!
Well guyz any comments on DZire DDiS v/s SX4 DDiS?[roll]
Thanks gears.
Coming to your Swift Dzire DDiS VS SX4 DDiS query, the difference is similar to that of Punto Vs Punto 90HP. The comparison sounds a bit weird, but its true.
The SX4 diesel comes with Variable Geometry turbo charger which is helpful in gaining the correct aspect ratio at lower rpms. As a result of this, theres minimum lag and better fuel efficiency. On the other hand Swift Dzire has FGT which produces lesser power.
As far as the tech specs are concerned Swift Dzire produces max. power of 75BHP @ 4000rpm while the SX4 Diesel get max. power of 90PS @ 4000rpm.

finally maruti thought to plonk a diesel heart on its sx4 vehicle.But was not expecting this 1.3L VGT anyways, its a smaller engine for sure for this kind of big vehicle with this price range.Yes the engine is very smooth and perfectly matched for comfort city driving with optimum FE from this heart but it lacks the comfort,finesse and quality which verna,vento shouts.Same waterfall dash, dull looking interiors and same fit and finish is not what one expects from a 10L car.What they have is better ASS and best tuned 1.3L multijet engine so far.
BTW great review Akash.Keep up the good work.My list of queries coming up soon.

Thread Starter #20

finally maruti thought to plonk a diesel heart on its sx4 vehicle.But was not expecting this 1.3L VGT anyways, its a smaller engine for sure for this kind of big vehicle with this price range.
You forgot Linea which has the same engine. But more than the engine capacity it is the VGT which plays a major role here. And dont forget the Corolla Altis Diesel is enjoying excellent sales with that puny engine.

BTW great review Akash.Keep up the good work.My list of queries coming up soon.
Thanks Vijay. As for the queries, go ahead.

I don't understand one thing, whenever we talk about SX4 diesel we wish that it had a bigger heart(even I think on the same line) but we forget that Fiat Linea also shares the same motor. I don't know whether it is because of the butch looks of Sx4 or what.

P.S.: please correct the engine power of Verna Transform above.

Thread Starter #22

I don't understand one thing, whenever we talk about SX4 diesel we wish that it had a bigger heart(even I think on the same line) but we forget that Fiat Linea also shares the same motor. I don't know whether it is because of the butch looks of Sx4 or what.
Not only Linea, even the Manza has the same heart. The only reason why every body wished to see a bigger heart in SX4 is due to the rumors of 1.9L heart which were floating over net last year.

P.S.: please correct the engine power of Verna Transform above.
Thanks for reporting, the issue has been resolved now.

How come i missed this thread.
That was an good review Akash.[:)]

How do you rate it comparing with Petrol Version.

And how is the turbo feel.

And any views on turning radius of the car.

One more thing I wanted to ask AFAIK Maruti has got the 1.3 motor licensed from FIAT and they were facing problems in getting their act together for swift/Dzire, so how will they manufacture the engines for SX4 I mean won't there be any supply issues?

I did back to back test drive of sx4(d) and dzire(d) in my opinion sx4(D) has better ride and looks than swift/dzire(d) but it lacks the excitement you get when you drive a swift/dzire(D),it is slow compared to swift/dzire(d).

Thread Starter #26

How come i missed this thread.
That was an good review Akash.[:)]
How do you rate it comparing with Petrol Version.
And how is the turbo feel.
And any views on turning radius of the car.
Thanks Mukesh. The Petrol variant is peppy and has a quick response. Its performance is no where close to the puny 1.3L heart. As for the turbo, it kicks in smoothly unlike traditional behavior (eg; Verna/Vento) where it literally pushes back the rear seat occupants. Add to that the VGT has minimized the lag and it kicks in at 1800rpm.

About the turning radius here you go;
However, the large turning radius is a turn off when it comes to takes U turns on narrow roads.
One more thing I wanted to ask AFAIK Maruti has got the 1.3 motor licensed from FIAT and they were facing problems in getting their act together for swift/Dzire, so how will they manufacture the engines for SX4 I mean won't there be any supply issues?
Fiat engines will continue to power the Diesel Marutis. There has been no official news about the same.

Last edited:

You forgot Linea which has the same engine. But more than the engine capacity it is the VGT which plays a major role here. And dont forget the Corolla Altis Diesel is enjoying excellent sales with that puny engine.

Thanks Vijay. As for the queries, go ahead.
i surely do know and agree yes that many players are plonking same smaller engines for these bigger vehicles with added big premium price tag.
But for sx4 if compared to linea,vento and also verna is a bit let down with no premium feel of a 10L car, see linea which is a droolmal, vento with superb build and quality upmarket fit and finish which maruti sx4 altogether misses out.Thats my take.

well it would as it still continues to fall short for demand of swift and dzires diesels today too, so for sx4 do expect a long waitlist as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #28

i surely do know and agree yes that many players are plonking same smaller engines for these bigger vehicles with added big premium price tag.
But for sx4 if compared to linea,vento and also verna is a bit let down with no premium feel of a 10L car, see linea which is a droolmal, vento with superb build and quality upmarket fit and finish which maruti sx4 altogether misses out. Thats my take.
The fit and finish of SX4 is not the best but it is still better than Maza and to some extent is comparable to Linea if not same. IMO theres a big section of people who still prefer Maruti Suzuki over all the other brands, thanks to the excellent service back up. And the March 2011 sales of SX4 proves this.

akash,surely sx4 is better then manza but then its almost 3L more expensive buy then manza as well, which is why buyers with price range of 7L wont think of buying sx4 for sure and buyers who want to spend 10L would check out much other options available today compared to sx4, say Linea,Fiesta, Verna,Vento,Optra as well.

Thread Starter #30

akash,surely sx4 is better then manza but then its almost 3L more expensive buy then manza as well, which is why buyers with price range of 7L wont think of buying sx4 for sure and buyers who want to spend 10L would check out much other options available today compared to sx4, say Linea,Fiesta, Verna,Vento,Optra as well.
Spot on. The SX4 diesel although has a decent drive even though it has the same heart which many of its younger siblings share, however when it comes to pricing, handling and VFM, i feel Fiesta Classic is the best bet. Even it isnt as adequately powered as the 1.6L Petrol heart, but still it manages to get the line correct with excellent gear ratios and the mouth watering fuel efficiency.

Top Bottom