Maruti Suzuki S-Cross Now On Sale at Rs.8.34 Lakh

Re: Maruti Suzuki S-Cross Caught Testing in India

I really don't have much of hopes on Scross, fed up with that 1.3 DDIS engine. Due to high demand for their cars, their quality has also gone down. I am one of those who cancelled the booking of ciaz. Booked it with high hopes and ciaz turned out to be a dud. Maruti is only good for making small cars segment, period. Which is alto, swift,Dzire etc. They tried it with sx4 and failed and now with the ciaz and failed again. Scross might be another dud from Maruti. If launched with 1.3 DDIS.

I really don't have much of hopes on Scross, fed up with that 1.3 DDIS engine. Due to high demand for their cars, their quality has also gone down. I am one of those who cancelled the booking of ciaz. Booked it with high hopes and ciaz turned out to be a dud. Maruti is only good for making small cars segment, period. Which is alto, swift,Dzire etc. They tried it with sx4 and failed and now with the ciaz and failed again. Scross might be another dud from Maruti. If launched with 1.3 DDIS.
I can't understand how you say that the Ciaz is a dud! It had sold 4k units last month and has been awarded the winner in Autocarindia comparison.
Mods kindly delete the previous post.

Last edited:

On the S Cross - Maruti is speculated to launch this with the 1.3 DDIS engine .
With this the pricing will be very competitive for the mass market . For performance oriented customers Maruti will come with the downsized version of the 1.6MJD but in 2016?

With the Premium hatch release and the Ecosport rival - Vitara Brezza they are speculated to offer Suzuki's Turbo petrol called the Booster Jet engines!

I can't understand how u say that the Ciaz is a dud! It had sold 4k units last month and has been awarded the winner in Autocarindia comparison.
What I mean is, it is not selling as it should. Honda City is more than double its sales. I am truly disappointed with the vehicle's performance, using the same engine again and again and also decline in their built quality over a period of time. And now they also hiked the prices. For me ciaz is a very boring car, no offence to any one. I have been owning Maruti cars over 10 years and I own a celerio AMT which I bought recently. I am absolutely satisfied with car but not with the built quality. It has declined over years. And celerio vxi costed me 5.70 lakhs, by the way I am not expecting much for the money I spent. But I have observed that their built quality has reduced but they are super duper reliable and easy on the wallet, that's why people by Maruti. And half its success comes from Fiat engines and Magneti Marelli. If you ask me, their best engine is k10, which is home grown by Indian engineers, which takes all the beatings that our Indian environment throws at it. Rest all they are good at integrating stuff and sell it at competitive price. I like Maruti but I they still compromise even in their high end cars. That's why I said Maruti is only good for small car segment.

What I mean is, it is not selling as it should. Honda City is more than double its sales. I am truly disappointed with the vehicle's performance, using the same engine again and again and also decline in their built quality over a period of time. And now they also hiked the prices. For me ciaz is a very boring car, no offence to any one. I have been owning Maruti cars over 10 years and I own a celerio AMT which I bought recently. I am absolutely satisfied with car but not with the built quality. It has declined over years. And celerio vxi costed me 5.70 lakhs, by the way I am not expecting much for the money I spent. But I have observed that their built quality has reduced but they are super duper reliable and easy on the wallet, that's why people by Maruti. And half its success comes from Fiat engines and Magneti Marelli. If you ask me, their best engine is k10, which is home grown by Indian engineers, which takes all the beatings that our Indian environment throws at it. Rest all they are good at integrating stuff and sell it at competitive price. I like Maruti but I they still compromise even in their high end cars. That's why I said Maruti is only good for small car segment.
I agree that the build quality of the Celerio isn't upto segment standards. But the Ciaz is very well built as far I have seen. In fact I felt it to be better than Honda City in build strength.
True, they keep on repeating the 1.3 DDis in higher segment cars (Ciaz) too. But atleast they tune it up to be at par with segment standards, right? Let's wait till they bring their brand new diesel engines.

True, they keep on repeating the 1.3 DDis in higher segment cars (Ciaz) too. But atleast they tune it up to be at par with segment standards, right? Let's wait till they bring their brand new diesel engines.
AFAIK, S Cross will come in Two diesel variants.

1. 1.3DDIS
2. 1.6 MJD

But I have observed that their built quality has reduced but they are super duper reliable and easy on the wallet, that's why people by Maruti. And half its success comes from Fiat engines and Magneti Marelli. If you ask me, their best engine is k10, which is home grown by Indian engineers, which takes all the beatings that our Indian environment throws at it. Rest all they are good at integrating stuff and sell it at competitive price. I like Maruti but I they still compromise even in their high end cars. That's why I said Maruti is only good for small car segment.
I totally agree with you in this aspect. Apart from poor build quality, their pricing is on par with other cars which boasts better punchy engines and also better brand value. 1.3 ddis is no way competitive to cars around 11-13 lk
Infact one can get compact suv entirely ditching the c segment!

IMO,the price you have speculated is for the higher variant with 1.6 MJD.
They already have ertiga with 1.3ddis placed near to 11.5. If MJD 1.6 does come it will certainly be much more higher than 13lk and going by MSIL build quality, IMO not much to boast about it.

xxxxxxxthan 13lk and going by MSIL build quality, IMO not much to boast about it.
My view is just a speculation but with some reasoning and hearsay. Suzuki's S Cross which is already engineered and sold in other countries is now being tested for release in India.
Maruti's S Cross has been on test in India for more than little more than a year, so why are they doing so , if there are no major specification changes?
So here is what we can see - they have been testing the 1.3 DDIS ?

Adapting the S Cross with 1.6 MJD to Indian road conditions( suspension, localization etc)
Testing the 1.5 MJD in this car ?
Maybe having the turbo petrol (K14?) or Suzuki's new engine?

For one is sure, they want to have a cost effective product ( and first for Maruti in this segment) but leave space for the YBA for the Ecosport rival in pricing.

Considering all of the above the basic S Cross may start at 7.5 lakhs with the highest variant at 12 lakhs [:D]

Last edited:

Well, i certainly dont think so. S cross is aimed as CUV and it will be certainly priced on par with duster/terrano.
MSIL also has in mind launching grand vitara brezza. Hence if they are launching 1.6 MJD then certainly it will reach outermark of 12-13+

I highly doubt about 1.6 DDIS or MJD or whatever, they are taking a lot of time to test. so it might be 1.5 MJD. At the same time they have tested Ciaz for a long time with 1.3 MJD. So we cannot expect anything until the release. Some bits I would like to point out in ciaz. Either in swift or ertiga, the airfilter intake is placed very well, If you see the same engine in Fiat Linea, even its air intake is placed very well. But ciaz is open in the engine bay. I have owned both fiat and swift 1.3 MJD for a very long time, my swifts clutch plates were gone at 40k and fiats were still there till 70k. But swift never disappointed me in power or reliability. And swifts back then were built strong, it was rock solid till 1.3 lakh kms and I sold it for a decent price. But swifts now, are so flimsy. Maruti cars have a lot of demand and at the same time their quality is reducing. Anyways I would like to see how this Scross would perform against my GT TDI [:)]. Multijet engine against (TDI engines). TDI engines have direct fuel pipes for each cylinder, hence they are not as fuel efficient as MJD but they give good fuel economy when driven sedately, and poor mileage when driven spiritedly and also they are more reliable. To know the difference remove the engine cover of any TDI engine and multijet engine and see the difference. TDI engines are always more reliable than MJD engines. In VW, it's not the engines that fail, it's the other stuff around it. VW TDI , Toyota D-4D , Old Bolero 2.5 tractor engine are all examples of TDI engines. Even BMW is an example of TDI engine. Hyundai Crdi , Fiat multijet are the same. Fiat actually pioneered multi jet technology but later sold it to Bosch.

Just before its launch in May here are some finer details of the Crossover.

The S Cross will be called ACROSS for India so it with will be Maruti Suzuki Across
Maruti-Suzuki-Across-corner-1024x582.jpg

Power Train:
Petrol varianst are still not know yet but most likely will be retained with the 1.6 petrol engine from Suzuki however a rare chance of a 1.4 litre K Series engine.It is confirmed that the Diesel Variants: Maruti Suzuki Across will use a 1.3 litre 5 Speed fiat sourced diesel engine, generating 90PS and a more powerful 1.6 litre MJD engine delivering 122PS mated to a 6 speed gearbox.

Features:
The spy-shots, are with 16″ alloys, front & rear disc brakes, reverse parking sensors, scuff plates, black-cladding, steering-mounted controls, climate control, start/stop button and a chrome strip on tail lamps. There has not been much of a design change from the S-Cross other than a few minor tweaks, we will have to wait and see to get a glimpse of the final production version. The Across will be available in L, V, Z & Z+ variants and the Z+ will get the maximum beautification like the Projector lamps. The car will also be equipped with an AWD version from the top of the 2 trim.

Across basic diesel version could cost 8.9 Lakhs for to the ultimate 1.6 AWD at 13 Lakhs.

Source:Gaadiwaaadi

Last edited:

I can't understand how you say that the Ciaz is a dud! It had sold 4k units last month and has been awarded the winner in Autocarindia comparison.
I hope you are joking. Autocar India is one of the most biased car magazines. You can sense this in almost every comparision report, where they conveniently twist their own logic to declare winners.
I would never seek their final word on cars. Its just good to see glossy pictures and locales, thats all.
No one in his right mind would pick Ciaz as the winner in that comparo. It doesnt matter how many Ciaz's MSIL sells. They also sell about 20000 Altos per month. Doesnt mean the Alto is a great car in all respects.

No one in his right mind would pick Ciaz as the winner in that comparo. It doesnt matter how many Ciaz's MSIL sells. They also sell about 20000 Altos per month. Doesnt mean the Alto is a great car in all respects.
I don't think we can call a car hit or dud so easily. It depends on various factors and their permutations and combinations IMO.

• Brand - If Maruti sells 4k cars, it might be called a dud but if Ford or Renault or Volkswagen does it, the car will can be called a hit [:)]
  • Segment / Price - If a D-segment sells 2k a month, it is obviously a hit but if a B-segment sells just 2k - it is a dud.
  • History - If Maruti sells 5k cars in 10L+ segments, it is a hit but if same Maruti sells 5k cars in < 5L segment, it is obviously a dud.
  • Competitor sales - If the best seller in a segment is 10k and you sell 2k, it is a dud but if thee best seller itself is 3k and you sell 2k, it is a hit.

While seeing all these factors, Ciaz is average (if not below average) - definitely not good enough to be called a hit and just not bad enough to be called a dud. Below is my reasoning.
  • Maruti with its HUGE network just manages to sell 4-5k cars (if you see number of Ciaz sold per dealer (or even per city) - it is way too bad) - FAIL
  • C-Segment Sedan top-end is mostly 10L+ and is an expensive option for average Indian and Ciaz is mostly the second best in this segment (but much less than segment topper) - JUST PASS
  • Maruti never managed great sales in C-segment, be it Baleno or SX4. Ciaz sells much better than these did - PASS
  • Segment Lead City consistently manages to beat Ciaz by a good margin (except in months where there was production issues in Honda) - FAIL

Let us not even go into Auto magazines' reviews and ratings and rankings - They are NEVER transparent or trustworthy - they have their own business reasons for that. For transparency and trustworthiness only auto forums like TAI and T-BHP will be helpful!!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom