Maruti Suzuki Ritz: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
In the mornings only, when i start the engine i get white smoke (lots of it) for 2 secs and then it vanishes. Never again during the day it happens, but only in the mornings. I guess it's something to do with the engine oil when it settles down over the night.

I know in petrol vehicles when you see black smoke coming out you are required to change the engine oil. This is my first diesel and i can cannot count on the black smoke because it's always there just like in any other diesel when revved hard. The usual suspect for white smoke is the leaking head gasket. I have not checked my coolant reservoir for any engine oil mix up. I just came back from a short grocery drive,will wait for the engine to cool down and check the reservoir for any such thing. Keeping my hands crossed!

Please pour in your suggestions especially swift/ritz ddis owners.

Thread Starter #2
Re: Reporting 1st issue ritz vdi

UPdate: Just went down to see oil and coolant levels, thanks to my negligence, the coolant was way too low so topped it up with water(will replace coolant asap), the engine oil level was slightly below the middle marker, topped it up(i always have the left over oil canister in the boot area when i replace engine oil). I think tomorrow morning i will have to watch for the smoke again. There were no oil traces in the coolant reservoir.

I hope you are religiously following warm up and cooling time of 3-5 minute after starting and before turning off respectively.Oil in turbo charger also can produce undesirable smokes if not.

I hope you are religiously following warm up and cooling time of 3-5 minute after starting and before turning off respectively.Oil in turbo charger also can produce undesirable smokes if not.
Jayadev could you please explain this

Jaydev modern diesel engine doesn't need warming up the engine in early morning for 3-5 min.
Its better to move slowly, by not revving hard, with gradual acceleration is what i follow.

It is a good practice to do that for the good life of turbo. The turbine inside the turbo charger is usually drenched in oil which needs a bit of time to settle back to reservoir after a drive.
so it is always good to turn off the engine giving 3-5 five minute of cooling time.

similarly while starting up it need a bit of warming, but yes practicing slow rev is also good thing but it wouldn't be as practical as leaving it for 5 minutes at rest.

Thread Starter #7

It is a good practice to do that for the good life of turbo. The turbine inside the turbo charger is usually drenched in oil which needs a bit of time to settle back to reservoir after a drive.
so it is always good to turn off the engine giving 3-5 five minute of cooling time.

similarly while starting up it need a bit of warming, but yes practicing slow rev is also good thing but it wouldn't be as practical as leaving it for 5 minutes at rest.
Why is the turbocharger drenched in oil?, doesnt the turbo fan fins operates on the exhaust gas? I dont know the inside of a turbocharger is it soaked in oil for the moving parts just like the gearbox?

Also i did an EGR valve cleaning at 26k kms its 50k kms now, time to do it again?

I am a religious follower of engine warm up procedures (but not too religious on cooling it down:)) i never put on the a/c when i feel the engine is not warmed up (-ves of not having a car with temp indicator only a light)

Thread Starter #8
Re: Reporting 1st Issue in Maruti Ritz ZDi

I just forgot to update you guys what happened today morning. The smoke was far less compared to what was it yesterday, i think oil top worked as it might have made the oil more viscous. I am going in for a oil change now, lets see if that eliminates the problem completely.
Excerpt from wiki

"
Turbochargers can be damaged by dirty or ineffective oiling systems, and most manufacturers recommend more frequent oil changes for turbocharged engines. Many owners and some companies recommend using synthetic oils, which tend to flow more readily when cold and do not break down as quickly as conventional oils. Because the turbocharger will heat when running, many recommend letting the engine idle for up to three minutes before shutting off the engine if the turbocharger was used shortly before stopping. This gives the oil and the lower exhaust temperatures time to cool the turbo rotating assembly, and ensures that oil is supplied to the turbocharger while the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are still very hot; otherwise coking of the lubricating oil trapped in the unit may occur when the heat soaks into the bearings, causing rapid bearing wear and failure when the car is restarted. Even small particles of burnt oil will accumulate and lead to choking the oil supply and failure. This problem is less pronounced in diesel engines, due to higher quality oil typically being specified."

Full article here Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I take my words back, it seems oil can damage tc. I will have to let the engine cool down now!

Last edited:

AFAIK Black smoke from crdi technology diesel engines (CRDi from hyundai , Multijet from Fiat , Quardrajet and CR4 from TATA , DDIS from Maruti , TDCI from Ford , TCDI from Chevrolet , Mhalwk from Mahindra and so on) represents un burn diesel .In morning during Cold start it is acceptable as fuel amount used in is more as compared .
Some of the times while tailing these vehicles you may observe Black smoke which is resultant of wrong usage of clutch or high RPM during gearshifts.

But But if you observe whitish smoke you may need to rush to ASS for further analysis .White or bluish smoke is symbol of oil burn which is not acceptable for modern diesel engines.

Thread Starter #10

The smoke has reappeared.
Planning to replace engine oil this weekend. I am pretty much sure that the shmucks at service center would not know the cause of smoke. So planning not to tell them anything about the smoke and make them do the following.

1. Change diesel fuel filter (las change was at 20K kms) water in diesel=white smoke
2. Clean EGR valve (read somewhere it may produce white smoke at cold start)
3. Change engine oil.

Paying for all the above points is going to cost somewhere around 2k+2K+1.5K=4.5K + taxes and paid service so I am expecting the damage to be somewhere around 7 K[frustration]

Eagerly waiting for trhe updates becaese can't say when our swift will also face this problem
______________________ .

I too insisted this practise in my home,i'll make it compulsory from now.I'm now afraid because one of the driver that drives our swift revs quite a bit soon after he turn on the car and also revs a bit just before turning off[frustration]

The smoke has reappeared.
Planning to replace engine oil this weekend. I am pretty much sure that the shmucks at service center would not know the cause of smoke. So planning not to tell them anything about the smoke and make them do the following.
Good idea. but just for your Info..
Steady white smoke; warm engine; any air temperature. This is bad news. The engine's coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and creating a steady flow of steam. Caused by a leaking head gasket or a crack in a cylinder head, most commonly in the exhaust port area.
http://www.tritonclass.org/mir/engsmoke.html

I'm now afraid because one of the driver that drives our swift revs quite a bit soon after he turn on the car and also revs a bit just before turning off
Moment you find out driver doing such things you should give a whack under his ears.when he asks the reasons ,you explain.

Thanks for the information jayadev.
_________________________________.

1. Change diesel fuel filter (las change was at 20K kms) water in diesel=white smoke
Just few days back in our swift the instrument cluster warned(a symbol) of water in fuel filter(diesel) .The water in the filter was drained. So I think when there is water in fuel filter,the instrument cluster has a symbol to warn you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

still not given car for service, planning to give it tomorrow while going to office.

Top Bottom