Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta BS-6 "Roadrunner" Joins Family

Thread Starter #16
Many congratulation roadrunner.
Ignis is indeed VFM over Swift.

Can you post some pics of rear seat w/o baby-seat and boot please.
Will do. Not getting time due to WFH.

Second that. please post more pictures especially engine bay and rear.
How comfortable are the rear seats.
Sure, will post couple of them and some observations.

Thread Starter #17
Hi guys. Wanted to ask something. The Ignis comes with 175 65 R15 and I wanted a wider tyre but not that wide also. A little research shows 185 would be nice, and 195 will be too wide for my liking and comfort. So which of the two should I go with: 185 60 R15 or 185 65 R15? The difference in the aspect ratio of 60 or 65, which would give me the least change in comfort from the stock one?

Thread Starter #19
Only change the rubber quality.
I'd like to retain 175 but felt 185 would provide a slightly better grip. If I go with 185 65 R15, the upsize is only in the tyre width from 175 to 185, everything else remains the same, the most important being the aspect ratio of 65. Though I'll seriously consider your advice and keep the option of changing to a better rubber. I'd like to know apart from marginal fuel efficiency drop, what are the other cons of wider tyre provided nothing else changes (rim size, aspect ratio)?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I'd like to retain 175 but felt 185 would provide a slightly better grip.
Yes,correct

If I go with 185 65 R15, the upsize is only in the tyre width from 175 to 185, everything else remains the same, the most important being the aspect ratio of 65.
No,this is not correct. 65 aspecio of 185 width tyre is more that of 175 tyre.Meaning to say sidewall is increased.

I'd like to know apart from marginal fuel efficiency drop, what are the other cons of wider tyre provided nothing else changes (rim size, aspect ratio)?
Indian cars, esp maruti cars have lesser tolerances in suspension components.More load/stress on susp. + bearings etc if tyre width is increased. Everything is ruined.Don't follow populist forums,which actually follow foreign forums and members,who actually have very superior and robust cars with stronger engines.Even they are stressed but tolerances are more because overall the car and suspension is sturdier there.
Again repeating: Been there,done that,and already faced the music!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Even they are stressed but tolerances are more because overall the car and suspension is sturdier there
This is bang on correct. That's why I didn't upsize the last time we had this conversation. However, in the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of highway runs and driving to villages in Haryana and Rajasthan. An Uttarakhand visit is also coming up. The 180 mm ground clearance of Ignis is a blessing. But I felt the car is under tyred for high-speed highway runs. The 175 felt inadequate.

Let's say if you allow me to make a mistake, what if I upsize to 185 60 R15? The tolerance difference is -0.9%, and I lose 3 mm ground clearance. Would this be ok?

Some people have happily slapped on 195 60 R15 in Ignis. The tolerance is +1.1% which is fine. However, Ignis comes with 15x5J rims and the maximum upsize recommended in that rim is 185. So I'd like to avoid using 195.

Thread Starter #23
Here's an update of my Ignis - new shoes. After some discussions with you guys here and a little of my own research, I went with Yokohama Earth 1, 185 65 R15. The increase in overall diameter (OD) is 2.1% and sidewall height has also increased just a wee bit. The Ignis comes with 175 65 R15, which I felt was fine in the city, but several highway runs in the past week laid bare the deficiency of 175 in Ignis. I had a choice of 185 60 R15 (OD is minus 0.9), but didn't want to sacrifice ground clearance and also the sidewall height would become less. Now I was left with 195 60 R15, which many people recommended, because OD was only 1.1% and hence a close match to stock setup. But 195 felt too wide for Ignis. Also, Ignis factory rim width is 5J alloys. For 195 the recommended is at least 5.5. Many have slapped 195 in Ignis' 5J rims and raised no complaint, but there must be a reason why 5.5 is recommended for 195. I don't want to gloss over that fact as it may bring out skeletons in the long or short run.

Then comes in the size that I least bothered about - 185 65 R15.

But first, why Yokohama? I went to a Continental CC5 authorised dealer, The Pit Stop, near Kalkaji in south Delhi. The guy there pretended to be too busy, so I left. The went to my neighbourhood Singh Shoppe, my regular store. Yoko was my second choice after CC5. Luckily, found 5 month old stock. I know, I know, three months old tyre is better and all, but it's only five months and because of lockdown they couldn't sell it. The Earth 1 has a good balance between hard and soft characteristics. The Bridgestone Ecopia 150 was however purely a fuel economy tyre.

I have driven 50 km so far. Though it's too early to tell anything substantial, here's my two bit:

1. Steering is a tad firmer now, which is nice
2. The ride feels softer because of the combination of new tyres and higher sidewall
3. In full turns the tyres don't scrap the wheel well. Clearance is very good.
4. The ground clearance increase has no effect on handling, contrary to what I had assumed. I had some tight turns in decent speed and the car behaved well, in fact the grip was much better than the 175 Ecopia.

All in all, Maruti should have given 185 65 R15 to Ignis from factory. This is the perfect marriage. Asthetics wise also the tyres go well with Ignis - neither too skinny nor too wide like tractor tyres. Yet to see any cons. P.S. Am prepared for drop in fuel efficiency.

Here's a photo below. My rim has scratches from a hit on a kerb. Any idea how can I hide them? Some have suggested marker pens, but will it corrode the alloy in the long run?

IMG_20201001_123329.jpg

Top Bottom