Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta BS-6 "Roadrunner" Joins Family

Thread Starter #1
Why
I have been driving an Alto K10 since January 2017. Before that I have been using an Alto 800 since March 2013. My requirement was a small car that was easy on the pocket, and they served me well. But the needs have changed. My daughter will start going to preschool from April and I wanted a bigger car with Isofix mounts, enough legroom in the rear for long drive and relatively mature handling out on the highway with decent engine power. All these also had to fit in a budget. You could say I am now a certified connoisseur of Maruti's bread and butter motor line - 800 cc, 1,000 cc and 1,200 cc. My incremental upgrade each time has been by some 200 cc.

But a brief goodbye to the Alto K10
Somewhere I read that Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, henceforth called MSIL here, has discontinued the K10, to be replaced by the S-Presso. I really miss the K10. It had good power and outright acceleration if driving without passenger load. It was tension free to drive in traffic. If my needs hadn't changed, I would have happily held on to the K10 for several more years. I have experienced leaving behind bigger cars with bigger engines behind during stop-and-go situations while driving the K10. So, here's a final send-off to perhaps the end of an era.

Budget
My budget was maximum 7 lakh on road. No ifs and buts. Maybe a little stretched with the right accessories.

Test drives
The test drive cars were - Swift, Tiago, i10 Nios and Ignis - all of them BS 6 models. My observations for these cars doesn't mean they are bad. It could be simply that my needs mismatched with the respective cars. Their owners have every right to enjoy the cars mentioned here and gloss over any fault that I may mention.

Swift
Vxi on road was 6.95. It came with steel wheels and puny 165 section, 14 inch tyres. The upgrade would have cost a lot more. Didn't like the low seating. Rear space still felt crammed, bad thigh support despite what they say about better space management in the new generation one. Thought it was way overpriced.

Tiago (2020)
Killer looks. Hands down best build quality in the segment. Respectably wide 175 tyres, 14 inch for the XT mid variant, the top end XZ Plus has 15 inch 175. The doors felt solid. The suspension as we all know here is legendary. And the cherry on top is the music system. The car felt like a bigger ride; didn't feel I was driving a small car. On the downside, the NVH was the same as I was in the K10. In fact the K10 seemed to have better insulation. Inside the Tiago I could very clearly hear the sound of a bike’s exhaust that was at least 10 metres away. No matter what they say, there’s no wishing away that three-cylinder motor. Also, I happened to take my mother-in-law during the test drive and she remarked that it would be nice to have more legroom. I have been to long road trips in the K10 and I know how it feels to see family members struggle to fit in the rear. So everything taken together, I struck off Tiago. And a big part of my decision to buy a new ride was to get more space. If the space increment is marginal, my buy wouldn’t make any sense.

Grand i10 Nios
Excellent cabin design, spacious. The ride was firmer compared to the first generation i10, which I used to drive in 2010. Two reasons I didn’t finally go for the Nios are - beyond my budget, and this is a subjective one, I don’t like that fluidic, curvy design. End of matter.

Ignis (Delta trim)
It ticked all the points in the space and legroom department. The car is compact, yet it frees up a lot of space inside. It reminds of the Brio, which looks small from afar, but if you walked near it you realise it’s a big bubble of a car with lots of space inside. More reasons why I went with the Ignis - 1) 1.2 cc engine (K12), four cylinders, definitely an upgrade from the K10. 2) Acceptable handling. It has stiffer suspension, which helps contain body roll for a tall-boyish design. I’m willing to sacrifice smooth ride for better handling and confidence 3) Easily within budget

Miscellaneous observations on Ignis BS 6 model
1) A very tiny factor in my buying decision of the Ignis was perhaps the SUV-ish look of the new BS 6 model. Since Maruti has no consistent design language, it can afford to mix and match whatever would work (sometimes, it fails too). In the BS 6 Ignis, they have taken SUV-ish elements in the front grille from Jeep Compass in the form of square horseshoe shaped chrome rings.
2) The BS 6 Delta model now comes with roof rails and rear spoiler. The Ignis now looks mature and palatable with the spoilers and roof rails added. Nothing can be done about that rear flat face look though.
3) The Ignis tyres (middle trim) are 15-inch, 175 section, which is not that bad compared to Swift’s (middle trim) 14-inch 165 section. Takeaway: Ignis costs less even with bigger and wider tyres in the same trim level as the Swift.
4) I didn’t go for the Zeta, one trim above Delta, though it came with alloys and push start, a feature I really don’t need.
5) Build quality is not up to Tiago or Altroz level. From the sheet metal to the plastics inside, anywhere you apply pressure the material gets pushed or bends. I have no idea what Maruti's so-called "Heartect" is all about despite reading up and having discussions with people. In fact have noticed even those who cover the auto sector are not really sure how exactly to quantify the benefits of Heartect, whether it's a marketing trick to reduce weight and increase fuel efficiency at the cost of safety. One thing is for sure, Science says that when two objects collide, the heavier one will punch through the lighter one.

Price
Ex-showroom: 5.66 lakh
On-road: 6.4 lakh
Corporate discount: 5,000

Accessories
Set of four black MGA alloys - 29,000
Sony XAV 5000 capacitive audio receiver without rear camera (am old school, I like reversing using all my skills and the mirrors) - 22,000
Two Sony speakers at the rear - 2,600

Free stuff
MGA side moulding

Process
The sales adviser at Nexa (Rana Motors) in East of Kailash, south Delhi, was helpful and polite the whole time. I decided to try with Rana for a change after buying from Bagga Link twice in the past. All the people who I knew at Bagga Link (Kotla Mubarakpur dealership) have left the job, except for the accessories guy. And the people at Bagga Link Nexa in Lajpat Nagar was curt, unresponsive. So farewell to them. Rana Nexa is also on my way to work, which is another reason why I chose them.

The finance was done through HDFC Zip Drive in less than 20 minutes. I had a pre-approved loan of 20 lakh. Luckily, the salesperson said they can give Ignis Delta model the next day, so that solved a problem for me as I was selling my K10 at Cars 24 the same day.

The K10 went for 2.2 lakh at Cars 24. It had run 23,000 km, had bought it in January 2017, had four MGA alloys (Enkei) especially made for the K10. The price felt like a decent deal. This was the second time I dealt with Cars 24 and the experience has been good. They transfer the money in real-time and is watertight with paperwork.

On the day the car came, I did a pre-delivery inspection around 10 am and went to office. The inspection went well. Checked the VIN, engine bay, scratches, etc. Everything seemed all right. The car had run 40 km, which I suppose is the distance from the MSIL stockyard in Gurgaon. I returned at 4 pm to take it. It had started raining lightly and traffic was building up on the busy East of Kailash area, leading to some concern whether I would inaugurate it with a scratch on the first day itself. See, driving the Ignis in heavy traffic after years of being behind two tyres of Alto cars would surely need some adjustment.

I gave sweets to the sales advisor and drove off to the nearest petrol station. There the attendants congratulated me for the new ride, and I knew they would want to be tipped chai-paani, so they got their wish. In return, I got nitrogen filled in all four tyres for free, though I presume there’s no real benefit to it unless you’re going to drive on the track. That was the first time I got nitrogen filled in the tyres anyway. The tyre pressue is 36 psi for front and 32 for rear.

So far I have driven 100 km and I really like the car. Feel happy that I have made a good buy. Road trips and more legroom for mother-in-law, check. Dropping baby to school, check. Decent fun to drive engine, check. Fuel efficiency, check. Decent looks, check.

So that’s it, guys. Do shoot any query this way. I’ll be posting intermittently here as my car, which I have nicknamed “Roadrunner”, ages. Will post proper photos later. For now uploading some random shots.

IMG-20200229-WA0011.jpg

The day the car came to the dealership with the MGA alloys fitted. The black looks nice. This is without the black centre cap, which they added later.

IMG-20200229-WA0012.jpg

They gave the side moulding for free after a hard negotiation.

IMG_20200229_172023.jpg

Tyre pressure chart. The Ignis has a stiff suspension, which improves handling at the cost of ride comfort. Maybe that's why the rear pressure is even less than the K10's recommended pressure at 35 psi.

IMG_20200303_140008.jpg

Installing the Sony XAV-AV5000 receiver. It has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

IMG_20200303_142401_1.jpg

The stock head unit that came with the Ignis Delta. Wanted to ask, can I sell this off? On OLX, a man wanted to know if it can fit in his 2016 model Dezire. I have no idea, so asked him to find out with Maruti first before buying from me. Also, at what price should I sell this?

IMG_20200303_164452.jpg

A child seat from Luvlap.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congratulations on your New BS6 Ignis - Enjoy driving miles and miles [cheers]

How much you paid for the Sony XAV-AV5000 and is it installed by Maruti /Nexa guys or from outside?

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Many congratulations for your new car.This is a beautiful colour(Nexa blue).Please post more pics (if it's not too much of an effort) of your car exterior,interior,your new head unit and the engine bay.
Drive safely. And enjoy your new car.

Thread Starter #4
Congratulations on your New BS6 Ignis - Enjoy driving miles and miles [cheers]

How much you paid for the Sony XAV-AV5000 and is it installed by Maruti /Nexa guys or from outside?
Got it for 22,000. Nexa accessories guy installed it. Clean coupler to coupler install, no wire cutting. Negotiated hard for discount. They were quoting 29,000 with rear camera included. I didn't opt for rear camera. You may be able to get it cheaper online or outside, but the casing may be different. The Maruti guys have a casing especially made for each car model.

Many congratulations for your new car.This is a beautiful colour(Nexa blue).Please post more pics (if it's not too much of an effort) of your car exterior,interior,your new head unit and the engine bay.
Thank you [:)] Will post photos next week. Not getting time to do it now. I do wish the Nexa Blue was of a bit more darker shade.

@roadrunner Congratulations for your new car "Roadrunner"
Wishing you lots of Miles & Smiles with the Roadrunner.
You thoughts on Ignis are same as mine.
2020 Ignis is a stunning car. Looks are very appealing and the spacious interiors makes it a perfect premium small car.
I had TD the AMT Ignis as I was looking for a compact car for Dad.
I loved the design and road presence but Dad loved S-Presso as it was lighter on pocket.
So awaiting for the S-Presso...

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Got it for 22,000. Nexa accessories guy installed it
That's really a good bargain. When I wanted to change the HU of my Tigor,, the dealer guys quoted me 3 models of Sony i.e XAV AX5000 - Rs.25,990, AX3000-Rs.20,990 and AX1000-Rs. 15,990/. I have shortlisted AX3000 and their final quote was Rs. 25,779/ ( AX3000- Rs. 20,999+Stereo frame - Rs.1800/- + Camera - Rs.3000/-). Tried to negotiate, but they said, cannot reduce the price, but was willing to do free of labour charges.

Later they told me that the steering controls will not work on these models, so I dropped the idea and instead fitted Blaupunkt Long Beach 970 (Adroid 6.0 OS ).

Thread Starter #7
@roadrunner ...
I loved the design and road presence but Dad loved S-Presso as it was lighter on pocket.
So awaiting for the S-Presso...
Thanks for the wishes. I wouldn't mind going for S-Presso for the value it gives at the price if I was looking for a car in that budget. It's definitely more spacious than the K10, and ground clearance is good. Do see the Kwid 1.0 also.

Later they told me that the steering controls will not work on these models, so I dropped the idea and instead fitted Blaupunkt Long Beach 970 (Adroid 6.0 OS ).
That's an important point you have brought to notice. The steering controls don't work for Sony XAV-AV series only for the phone calling buttons - call receive and call disconnect. The rest of the buttons - mode (which includes option to select Bluetooth), volume, track changes and mute work. So that two extra buttons in the steering for phone controls will go dead. It's a small sacrifice, I think, since the XAV-AV 5000 is capacitive touch and very responsive. All one needs to do is press the green dial on the screen to take an incoming call.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The steering controls don't work for Sony XAV-AV series only for the phone calling buttons - call receive and call disconnect.
Yes, that's what the guys told me (I didn't believe that time thinking that they are trying to sell me the costlier HU -Blaupunkt Long Beach 970), but in any case, after seeing the features of Blaupunk, especially it comes with Android OS I finalised that one. Now, even phone calling buttons on the steering control also works fine.

Thread Starter #10
Hi all. Will be posting pics soon. Not getting time. Also been trying to set up a simple YouTube channel for ownership review and long-term observations.

In the meantime I have a query about the headlights. I changed the stock bulbs with Osram Night Breaker Laser Duo (H4).

The high beam appears excellent and level, but the low beam seems a bit off. The left side looks a bit higher than the right side. Also there's a relaxed L shape that's seen on the wall in low beam. Is this normal, or is it part of factory settings to keep right side lower so that it doesn't blind incoming drivers?

How should I make the adjustment, if necessary.

Thanks
First pic: low beam
Second pic: high beam

PSX_20200314_193340.jpg
PSX_20200314_193423.jpg

there's a relaxed L shape that's seen on the wall in low beam. Is this normal, or is it part of factory settings to keep right side lower so that it doesn't blind incoming drivers?

How should I make the adjustment, if necessary.

Thanks
First pic: low beam
Second pic: high beam

View attachment 272559 View attachment 272561
first of all let me congratulate you on your new ignis. Now coming to your query, the relaxed L shape that you see on the wall is the cut off from halogen bulbs. This is completely normal and won't blind any oncoming traffic. If you ever upgrade to LED of HID make sure that the output beam pattern matches the current beam pattern. There will be 2 screws on any car headlight to do adjustment. one for left right and one for up and down.

Thread Starter #12
Second that. please post more pictures especially engine bay and rear.
How comfortable are the rear seats.

Top Bottom