Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue – My Dream “LUV” comes home !!

Thread Starter #1
“Mohobbat karnewale kum na honge,
Teri mehfil mein lekin hum na honge”
- Mehdi Hassan’s Gazal.

(There are plenty of those who LUV you,
But you will miss me in your party
-Hindi Translation)

I always had a fear in my mind that this car will not be mine due to some reason like compromise with the variant or colour choice for getting delivery. Also the manufacturing company was facing various problems on different fronts. This Gazal was hovering in my mind whenever I had gone through the party started by SABY and others continued in ownership thread, I was doubtful whether I am going to join this party or not with my Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue.
Being a first official customer at the dealership, I was offered different variant like VDi, different colour options like white, silky silver, granite gray, dusky brown, etc. to get the earliest delivery of my Ertiga, which I declined despite pressure from family members. I opted to wait for my LUV and suddenly the news of Maneser Fiasco broke out. Wrote many letters to Maruti Suzuki, requested dealership, tried everything I could but nothing worked. Those who are still waiting for their Ertiga despite booking on first week will realise my feelings. My humble advise to them is be patient, and at the same time congratulations to all the Ertiga owners!
I couldn’t believe my luck when a surprise phone call from the dealership came on 27th July 2012 regarding allotment of my vehicle and paid all the payments immediately. My dream vehicle, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue, yes ZDi Serene Blue!! The rarest of all, finally delivered to me on 8th August 2012. I had to wait almost more than 3 ½ months for the same. Thanks to moderators of our forum for allowing me post my queries, questions, doubts, views, compliments, etc. as a member and all forum members for their posts thereby I could managed to wait for almost 3 ½ months for my vehicle sharing various experiences on this forum regularly. Thanks to 350Z for his valuable comment which kept my hopes alive i.e. “the car should be delivered within this month under all the possibilities” on my dealership review forum-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-launch-party-sai-service-station-mumbai.html
Sorry for being late in preparation of a comprehensive review of my Ertiga due to my professional busy schedule. I hope readers will overlook any mistakes made in my ownership review considering my first attempt. Also moderators are requested to edit this review to correct the mistakes if any. Kindly excuse me for average quality outdoor photographs due to rainy & cloudy weather conditions.

Preface:-
I always thought that buying a car is not a profitable business like buying a property like land, building or flat, etc. Prices of bought property usually increase constantly and also you can use or rent them at the same time. But prices of bought cars always decrease constantly no matter you use it or not. Therefore I always preferred buying a property over a car. I was driving my father’s owned cars till date which started right from Mahindra & Mahindra Jeep to Tata Safari before buying Ertiga in the following order-
1. Mahindra & Mahindra MM540 DP- My father’s first car (jeep) driven by me.
2. Tata Indica DLX- My father’s second car driven by me after joining his business.
3. Tata Safari Diesel - My father’s third car driven by me during our family long outings.
4. Tata Manza Diesel- My brother’s first car suggested/ recommended by me.
5. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue- My first car “LUV”.

The moment I saw and understood Ertiga felt about it as a profitable business.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga:-
I came to know about Maruti Ertiga while going through online automotive forums last year. Right from the scoop pics to Auto Expo 2012 at Delhi, I was following the Maruti Suzuki Seven seater.

I always wanted to drive something better than a hatchback car but not like sedan, in which the boot is not my requirement at all. I always dreamt of a diesel car in which a boot is used multipurpose like safari or Innova, but never thought of buying a new MUV due to size & pricing aspect. I was surprised when I saw Maruti Suzuki’s Seven Seater MPV, I felt as if it is made for me only and thereafter keenly followed everything that appeared online with reference to this vehicle.

I am reading automotive forums from last 1 ½ years. In my honest opinion, they are the best automotive consultants available online, helping me understand in detail every vehicle available in India, thereby could advise my brother to select a car best suited to his needs (Tata Manza Diesel). Now it was my turn, this forum has helped me select my car (Maruti Ertiga ZDi) after regularly going through corresponding forums. I could managed to wait for almost 3 ½ months for my vehicle reading various experiences on this forum regularly. Finally Got delivery of my LUV, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue on 8th August 2012.

Dealership Experience:-
I had booked Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue on 13th April 2012 i.e. on launch date at Sai Service station Andheri Mumbai. I was the first official customer at this Maruti dealership to book the vehicle hence myself with my wife and daughter ‘Asmi’ got the opportunity to unveil the Ertiga at the showroom during the launch ceremony at the dealership. It was really a pleasant surprise for us.

When Asmi cut the cake at the dealership to celebrate the occasion she thought as if it was her birthday but actually it was Ertiga’s!!

Looking at the happy face of my daughter, the selection was done there on the spot i.e. Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue, the beauty I fallen in Luv with.
I thought that I was the first person to book the Ertiga at the dealership thereby had liberty to get my vehicle any time as per my choice but I was wrong which I realized later. While filling up the booking form Sales Executive said it will take around a month for delivery however asked me to write 3 to 4 months as delivery period. He also suggested that if I select blue instead of white or silver I may get an early delivery also VDi is value for money and better option than ZDi. However, we had already finalized our variant and colour.

After waiting for one month dealership said that there were many who booked before the official launch therefore my number on waitlist on the day of booking was 31 in their city dealership & as per the variant/colour it was 5. After one month dealership said its 22 & 3 respectively.

After three months of waiting period, It was getting difficult to manage without a vehicle and therefore requested to Maruti dealership and Regional Manager (Many thanks to Mr. Jivjot Singh Chaddha) several times is to try dispatching Two ERTIGA ZDi Serene Blue to my Mumbai dealership at the earliest as I was second in the waitlist as per the variant & colour.
Finally I did receive a surprise call from the dealership on 27th July 2012 regarding allotment of my Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi Serene Blue & subsequently got delivered the same on 8th August 2012. The delay in the delivery was due to the overbooking of the ZDi variant and shortage of certain parts at supplier’s end. Such a good VFM product is bound to have longer waiting period as a sign of popularity, Congratulations to Maruti Suzuki!!

It is to be mentioned here that I received my car within the written waiting period of 3 to 4 months on the order booking form, which is very critical, I think. Beware before filling up of order booking form!

Delivery experience:-

My sales executive Mr. Umesh Jambhale and Team leader Mr. Hiren Shah did their best to be with me supporting all along during the waiting period. Also Mr. Ketanbhai spent his valuable time explaining me accessories. I appreciate the sincere efforts taken by all of them for my “LUV”, as I personally feel that delivery as per my choice is not in their hands but surely have got added in my close friends list in the process and that’s still a big plus for me, Thank you very much everybody!

Unfortunately my sales executive and team leader could not remain present during delivery of my Ertiga as sales executive had to attend a two day training session (which he requested in writing to dealership to postpone or cancel, just to attend delivery of my vehicle, but was rejected) and team leader was assigned an emergency outdoor job which he couldn’t resist. However, came running after finishing his job just to meet me at 8 pm, met at the dealership gate took a photograph with me, exchanged sweets, gave a nice hug, a true friend indeed.

Mr. Ketanbhai prepared my Ertiga, suggested and installed selective accessories precisely. Delivery process was completed by other sales executive Mr. Patel. Another sales executive briefed me about the various car functions required to know before driving in general. In all was a satisfying experience, as finally I was getting my car in my hand.

to be continued...

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
List of installed accessories:-
1. Full rubber mats-2400
2. Side moulding coloured-4800
3. Roof end spoiler-6800
4. Door visor-1250
5. Door sill Guard-450
6. Steering wheel cover leather-750
7. Seat covers art leather-12800
8. Reverse parking sensor in IRVM-5800
9. Freebies (Ganesha idol, Mobile charger, car perfume (still to receive), Body cover (still to receive).
10. Full transparent carpet lamination-3800
11. all in one dash double din multimedia navigation system + reverse camera-58000
Apart from this I have opted for FUCOT Anti-Rust treatment-6090(less 10% discount) and Maruti Suzuki’s extended warrantee for 3rd & 4th year-11202. Was asked to put sun films but I denied in view of the recent supreme court’s ban on the sun films. Also have bought a tubeless tyre puncture repair kit (300) for any emergency at outskirts/ village, where there is no facility except air compressor. Also I am planning to buy a portable tyre inflator with digital gauge in near future.

Cost of Car:-
1. Ex-showroom price Mumbai Maruti Ertiga ZDi BS IV-909143
2. Depo charges-6840
3. Registration Individual-101531
4. Insurance-26761
A total of Rs.1044275/- on road Mumbai, Ertiga ZDi is certainly value for money carlike MPV.

First impression:-
Ertiga is a nice looking car externally. It has nothing dramatically stylish to call it a car with outstanding looks. It doesn’t look like an MPV from its front and rear profile but its side profile with gigantic rear doors and windows hints at a car stretched to be a MPV. Ertiga looks best sideways and more importantly in serene blue colour. Everybody including myself were doubtful about its claimed (comfortable) seven seating capacity from the exterior impression. However was really surprised to see amazing space on offer inside. Yes! It’s a genuine seven seater carlike MPV.

Style and Design:-
1. Front looks quite boring Maruti like.
2. Rear looks a typical hatchback but huge boot lid makes loading easy.
3. Ergonomically looks similar to Honda Jazz from side and rear profile.
4. Practically a 93% reduced Xerox copy of Toyota Innova.
5. Only headlights distinguish Ertiga from other similar Maruti vehicles when seen through OVRM.

Build Quality:-
Build quality is better than cars driven by me before and the car feels better built than the other Maruti models, clearly the best in class with a solid thud. The overall improvements are welcome but for a car costing close to 10 lakhs, some top end features were missing like ACC, Digital Speedometer, Cool glove box, Art leather seat covers, etc.

Design of Interiors:-
Beige/Grey combination of dash is improvement over the earlier swift & dzire. I love Beige interiors a lot, feels classy. Very functional MID is placed with meter cluster in front of driving seat is what I dreamt of. I really hated its placement at the centre of dash in some vehicles like Tata Vista- Manza, Mahindra Xylo, Toyota Innova, Maruti SX4, etc. The slick recesses (notch) provided in the dash is really useful to keep mobiles, sun glasses, valets, etc.

Interiors Quality:-
Apart from a part brownish grey in the dash everything is beige inside. The AC knobs, door pads, ceiling, steering wheel and gear knob are full beige. The seats and carpets are beige coloured too! Agreed, use of a light colour is making the interiors feel bright, airy and spacious but afraid that will be a pain to keep clean. To counter my fear, installed steering wheel cover, art leather seat covers and full transparent carpet lamination. I still don’t know how to avoid beige fabric lining on the door pads from getting soiled. Maruti shouldn't have used beige excessively on areas with frequent human touch.
Ertiga’s Unique Selling Point is its interior packaging with spacious 5+2 easy flexible seating. Moving, folding, reclining seats in various positions makes this car a spacious MPV with optimum use of its interior space, remarkable indeed.

Driving experience:-
Till date I have driven 965 Kms consisting of 300 kms of city driving (including visits to Siddhivinayak and Mahalaxmi temples) and rest were long drives (visits to Shirdi and Shani Shinganapur). All the time with full passenger loads six adult passengers and four children!!

Comfort Levels:-
It was a pleasant travelling experience for everybody of us. Middle row seats are exceptionally comfortable due to its flexi-seating. A separate Air-con vent on top makes both rear rows exceptionally comfortable. There is sufficient legroom & thigh support for every passenger. However I felt need of an additional neck rest during my long drives to Shirdi & Shani Shinganapur. Also the third row bench felt the big potholes and suddenly appearing speed breakers on highways. The gearshifts are smoothly precise but a bit notchy too. Electric power steering is unbelievably feather-light. Driver’s seating position is excellent, provides good undisturbed view of the road and traffic. The front dash grill abutting the front windshield is reflected during sunny days somehow distracts the front vision. I think it will take some time for me to get used to these things including various controls, switches, etc.

NVH Levels:-
I found Ertiga’s NVH levels not just comparable but better than many of the recent cars available in market. The diesel engine does get a bit loud when revved hard but at the same time hard to tell that it’s running while idle or cruising on the highway. Sorry for not posting any video at this stage but surely post few at a later stage.

Driving characteristics:-
I drove my Ertiga with with six adult passengers and four children most of the time, lower gears with shorter ratios were really handy for initial pickup. As I had plenty experience of driving Diesel vehicles, I could easily counter the so called turbo lag by driving in the 1500-2000 RPM range, and never felt out of power throughout. In fact, while driving in the second gear I did experience an unexpected pull after 2000 RPM. However, as advised by dealership I tried not to cross the speed limits being running in period but I must mention here that it is very difficult to drive Ertiga in speeds less than 80 KmpH as it easily crossed that mark on highways without putting feet on the accelerator pedal.
Not to mention Ertiga is a breeze to drive with 4 or less than 4 passengers on board. I felt sometimes as if I am driving some hatchback. Braking inspires confidence during high speed driving due to ABS & EBD, I think. However, in slow speeds one must take utmost care while braking to avoid any probable rear ending. I usually put my feet slowly so that the brake light gloves before actual braking thereby indicating the driver of the car behind well in advance. I think this phenomenon is common to all new vehicles.

Handling & Manoeuvrability:-
As I have already mentioned above Ertiga handling is fairly similar to some hatchbacks. In terms of Engine responsiveness, acceleration or gearbox I felt it similar to Tata Vista or Manza or Maruti Swift or Dzire. Stability was excellent during high speeds on highways tanks to the longer wheelbase. Ertiga has exceptional ride quality at low speeds and absorbs every worst thing on road with ease. Front and middle passengers really enjoyed the ride throughout even on bad roads due to its planted feeling. However, third row passengers may feel a little discomfort, unless you slow down, as the suspension is not so soft and springy. But overall every passenger enjoyed the ride throughout the long journey.

A/ C Effectiveness:-
It does take a while to cool the larger cabin of the Ertiga when you start the vehicle under the hot sun but quite sufficient if not exceptional. The rear A/C vent with separate blower with 3 settings is outstanding and sometimes rear passengers were so chilled that they reduced the blower control setting to 2nd position for most of the time. A/C is satisfactory as we kept the front blower setting to 2nd position and A/C setting to centre to avoid excessive chilling. The air recycle mode was always on and did its job excellently as we never felt any external pollution within the cabin throughout our journey.

Fuel Efficiency:-
The total average shown on the MID at the time of getting the delivery with 45 Kms reading on the Odometer was around 8 Kmpl. After 300 Kms of city driving it improved to around 10 Kmpl. Now It is 965 Kms after the long drive the total average shown is steady at 14.6 Kmpl and this too with six adult passengers and four children most of the time. I hope it will improve after the first free service of 1000 Kms completion.

To be continued...

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Audio System:-
Though the original integrated audio system was quite good with good quality the inbuilt speakers and tweeters, I wanted a full touch controlled all in one dash double din multimedia navigation system (MOTEVO) with reverse camera, so have installed one replacing the exiting in dash system only and kept the speakers & tweeters same as they sound really nice.
All the features of this system are excellent including radio, audio & video playback. The display is seven inches diagonally with HD resolution. The USB and A2DP, Bluetooth connectivity is impeccable and fulfils my important requirement of keeping in touch with my mobile phone during driving, can easily speak with and listen to the other party with any fuss. The ability to conference all the passengers with the other party is amazing. The sound quality is superb and the touch interface is entertaining. Most importantly, the steering remote works!!
The most important feature is Map-My-India Navigation system with satellite receiver is extraordinary. It’s excellently accurate and seamlessly provided amazing support during our long drives without stopping or disturbing the radio or audio along with blue tooth mobile connectivity both running in the background.

Features:-
I think by the time all the members are aware of the standard features available with the Ertiga, therefore don’t find any need to elaborate it again here. The only thing I can say is Ertiga ZDi is an capable carlike MPV having sufficient requires features such as- ABS, EBD, Airbags, Alloy wheels, Integrated music system, 5+2 flexible seating, Dual A/C vents for front and rear rows, Power windows, Electronic power steering, Rear windshield defogger, rear wiper, adjustable seat, adjustable steering, adjustable seat belts, functional MID in the meter cluster, cup holders, bottle holders and so on...

What I LUV:-
1) A carlike real MPV.
2) Spacious 5+2 easy flexible seating.
3) 1.3 MJD Engine with decent mileage.
4) Easy to drive with good handling & comfortable ride.
5) Separate & effective A/C vents for the rear rows.
6) A.B.S. with E.B.D.
7) Awesome integrated sound system & speakers.
8) Generous boot after folding 3rd row.
9) Good pulling power & cruising ability with 7 people on board.
10) Theatre like dimming lamps inside the car.
11) Decent headroom for all rows.

What I don’t LUV:-
1) Front view can’t differentiate Ertiga from other Maruti cars.
2) Horn is not easily accessible.
3) Inconvenient placement of fuel lid opener.
4) No remote boot lid opener.
5) Some beige interiors hard to keep clean.
6) Missed an armrest for driver.
7) No ACC.
8) Huge waiting period.

Conclusion:-
I am being a family man; Ertiga is a perfect vehicle for me. Ertiga is a family carlike SUV with Impressive versatility and space. In my honest opinion, as far as compact SUV/MUV’s are concerned, Ertiga has no competition in the current Indian market within its price range till date![/JUSTIFY]

duniya mein kitni hain nafratein
phir bhi dilon mein hain chaahatein
duniya mein kitni hain nafratein
phir bhi dilon mein hain chaahatein
mar bhi jaayein pyaarwaale mit bhi jaayein yaarwaale
zinda rahati hain unki muhabbate.n...

(How much hate exists in the world
Yet, even so, hearts continue to love.
Even if lovers should die, even if they are erased from this earth,
their LUV will live on forever...
-Hindi Translation)

Thank you for reading & Drive safe!

My god this is one heck of a review , maybe first time I read such a huge review of any car by any member on tai .Btw how many days and nights you took to write this review[;)]
Super super congrats man loved the pics and specially the 2 din system it's looking classy man [clap]. Hope the ertiga serves a lot and many many lakh Kms .
Rating your thread 5*

Last edited:
boombastik simply funtastik !!!!!

loved ur eye for detail in the review. must hv taken a few days to compile all this amazing writeup along with pics. ur car looks awesome.

a few attachments show as error.

in the accessories u mentioned 10. Full transparent carpet lamination-3800
can u please post pics to show what this is ?
ty

Congratulations for your new acquisition buddy[clap].

That's a very well written review, indeed a very detailed one. Nice pictures as well. Really liked the 2 din system.

Happy and safe motoring with your Ertiga.

Thread Starter #7
@nitin_k & singh890
Thanks!
Full transparent carpet lamination is a protective layer sheet made of thick transparent plastic sheet fixed on the carpet floor of Ertiga (exactly thae way we laminate our documents, but only on one side) Due full beige colour of carpet, chances are higher of it being damage in due course. To fix this all seats are removed and complete floor is exposed to fix the layer in place. IMHO this is a must have accessory if you have kids in your family[;)], also efficiently protects the carpet from the dirt it may attract during monsoons.
I will try to post the picks later for you, but I doubt that you hardly recognize that its there! As it is nearly invisible due to it's transparent nature, but by touch you can feel its presence. The only disadvantage being the floor mats kept on the lamination get a bit skidded.

Last edited:
@nitin_k & singh890
Thanks!
Full transparent carpet lamination is a protective layer sheet made of thick transparent plastic sheet fixed on the carpet floor of Ertiga (exactly thae way we laminate our documents, but only on one side) Due full beige colour of carpet, chances are higher of it being damage in due course. To fix this all seats are removed and complete floor is exposed to fix the layer in place. IMHO this is a must have accessory if you have kids in your family[;)], also efficiently protects the carpet from the dirt it may attract during monsoons.
I will try to post the picks later for you, but I doubt that you hardly recognize that its there! As it is nearly invisible due to it's transparent nature, but by touch you can feel its presence. The only disadvantage being the floor mats kept on the lamination get a bit skidded.

got it now. Rs 3800 seems a steal thinking of the effort going into fitting this. [clap]

Thread Starter #9
In fact it is available as an aftermarket accessory at some places in mumbai at even more cheaper price than I have paid for, but looking at the monsoon, I didn't wanted to take any chances hence got it fitted at the dealership only before getting the delivery.

In fact it is available as an aftermarket accessory at some places in mumbai at even more cheaper price than I have paid for, but looking at the monsoon, I didn't wanted to take any chances hence got it fitted at the dealership only before getting the delivery.
the finish, feel and quality of original factory fitted accessories cannot be compared with the after market ones. Also a few hundreds dont matter much when your spending close @ 10L on ur LUV :p:

@nitin_k & singh890
Thanks!
Off topic- my freind has done the same for his Scorpio [:)]

Thread Starter #12
Sorry there seems to be some error in posting the pics in the review hence trying to post the pics again, hope you like it, moderators can I edit my first post please as some posted as images are shown as links/ invalid links.[cry]
please help.

Attachments

Last edited:
did sai service leave any space where they did not fit in their stickers!!!

sorry for being blunt, but the one on rear glass looks out of place :(

Last edited:
Congrats Architect & welcome to the Ertiga club! [:)] That is a long & detailed review of your LUV.
Are those body coloured side mouldings available with the dealer as MGA or you purchased it in outside market?

Thread Starter #15
@Knightrider,
Thanks! and congrats to you too for your 'LUV' i.e. Dusky Brown Maruti Ertiga ZXI, I have seen on this forum. I have also completed my 1st free service after completing 1000 Kms within a month. I'll post an update soon.
The three accessories were available body coloured with the dealer as MGA-
1. Side mouldings
2. Roof end spoiler
3. Reverse parking sensors
I thought the same in body coloured may not be available as an aftermarket accessory hence purchased at the dealership straight away.

Last edited:

Top Bottom