Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel MT Driven

MSIL has lot of customers who are first time car buyers. I hope atleast 70-80% of which are not well informed about cars. The sad part here is that we as a petrol heads even cant convince these people.

Thread Starter #18

Akash1886

Honoured Member
MSIL has lot of customers who are first time car buyers. I hope atleast 70-80% of which are not well informed about cars.
RK I feel, hatchbacks specially of Maruti have good demand among fleet owners too. Just like Wagon R, Swift and Ritz it would not be a surprise if this diesel Celerio lands up in the fleet. Reason being, fleet owners at large look for better mileage and reliable after service. Both conditions met by Celerio diesel.

Regards

Akash

RK I feel, hatchbacks specially of Maruti have good demand among fleet owners too. Just like Wagon R, Swift and Ritz it would not be a surprise if this diesel Celerio lands up in the fleet. Reason being, fleet owners at large look for better mileage and reliable after service. Both conditions met by Celerio diesel.

Regards

Akash
This makes me think .Is it really made for Taxi/Fleet operators ? There is bare minimum comforts in Celerio MT LDi.This can easily push out Tata Indica. Since it is BS4 engine ,this can also run in all metros without environmental issues. Replace all autos ,Wagon Rs and Hyundai i10s from the taxi business.Also note there was a case of "Replacing all diesel vehicles that are older than 10 years " in Delhi.Is there any connection? [evil]

Heads up akash for the review, lemme give some tail out of the exhaust note and the idle noise levels with the videos I took (posted by my friend though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDiKqfvF3qU
Idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNseafmfC_8
Exhaust

You remember I had a teletalk with you that day on my eagerness to drive this "vehicle". Ok, here's my brief impresions:

The noise outside is just like a mini tractor, with a combination of aluminum block and non CRD tech. It houses a different fuel injection technology, derived or inspired from erstwhile VW pumpe duse engines (people familiar would know the crude noise of the laura 1.9 or fabia 1.4) But, inside, the noise insulation is excellent. The car has very minimal turbo lag, and if you forget the 2 cylinder layout, it drives just like a normal urban diesel hatch would. The turbo starts kicking at 1600 rpm, and the short first 3 gears are tuned to aid driveability. The car has superb bottom end and driving at 20-30 kmph, with the turbo spinning at 1700 rpm, the car does not stall. Once the car accelerates, its then things go downhill. The limitations of displacement do show when planning a rapid acceleration attempt, but somehow, its masked by the 89 kg weight of the motor and the driveability oriented close ratio 5 speeder. Since the urban tractability of this motor is competent, it suddenly starts making sense for FE oriented people.
Now, there is a soup. This car is in no man's land, and it priced close to many discounted base model superminis. Not an issue, when the price to value ratio is considered. Had it been 30k less (the celerio manual petrol itself was costly), it would have earned a bit more points, but at OTR Delhi 6,33,000 for ZDI option with ABS and dual airbags, its definitely not a VFM. And that bouncy rear suspension does not help.
It does appeal to a "different" set of customer, but somehow, it appears as more of an "experiment" than a "commercial full fledged launch".
Awaiting the market response.

Thread Starter #21

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Heads up akash for the review, lemme give some tail out of the exhaust note and the idle noise levels with the videos I took (posted by my friend though).

Idle

Exhaust
I do relate to the videos Sidharth. Seems like a submersible water pump is watering the fields. Does not look like the engine is made by Maruti Suzuki.

inside, the noise insulation is excellent.
The diesel engine noise is certainly transmitted to cabin and is pretty audible.

The car has very minimal turbo lag, and if you forget the 2 cylinder layout, it drives just like a normal urban diesel hatch would. The turbo starts kicking at 1600 rpm,
Specs can't be missed out on in reality. How can one forgo the basic reason behind this Celerio i.e Diesel Engine. The only reason why people were excited about it was the diesel engine that too the smallest. Maruti broke their trust and dreams with this unrefined, pathetic engine. Turbo kicked in around 2k to 3k mark yesterday for me and more evidently between the 2.5K to 3K mark.
The car has superb bottom end and driving at 20-30 kmph, with the turbo spinning at 1700 rpm, the car does not stall.
Ya the car does not stall OK but honestly keeping an average speed of 60 km/h, the actual nvh, performance, and pick-up will be tested then. At a low speed what is going to be tested apart from stalling, practically nothing.

Once the car accelerates, its then things go downhill. The limitations of displacement do show when planning a rapid acceleration attempt, but somehow, its masked by the 89 kg weight of the motor and the driveability oriented close ratio 5 speeder.
Absolutely, ashamed of having driven one yesterday. I did mention average acceleration. This is a pure disaster recipe for Maruti.

Since the urban tractability of this motor is competent, it suddenly starts making sense for FE oriented people.
Like fleet operators. Maruti had that Ad "Kitna Deti hai". No informed person will ever buy it.

Now, there is a soup. This car is in no man's land, and it priced close to many discounted base model superminis. Not an issue, when the price to value ratio is considered. Had it been 30k less (the celerio manual petrol itself was costly), it would have earned a bit more points, but at OTR Delhi 6,33,000 for ZDI option with ABS and dual airbags, its definitely not a VFM. And that bouncy rear suspension does not help.
Absolutely, daylight robbing of buyers. The kind of performance this car in diesel has given, it would be seeing a sunset soon like many of their pre-mature duds.

It does appeal to a "different" set of customer, but somehow, it appears as more of an "experiment" than a "commercial full fledged launch".
Likely Market of Celerio Diesel

* Taxi Wallahs

* Rural Buyers

* Brand Loyalists.

Awaiting the market response.
Would be average even when compared to its petrol sibling. Only way it can sell is that Maruti comes out in the open and says that we are mainly looking to sell in Taxi market. Taxi market needs two things i.e Mileage and Low Maintenance, of which both are fulfilled by this car.

PS: Thanks for Videos. Your Heads Up has given me a headache. The sound of engine is buzzing in my ears.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Likely Market of Celerio Diesel

* Taxi Wallahs

* Rural Buyers

* Brand Loyalists.

Would be average even when compared to its petrol sibling. Only way it can sell is that Maruti comes out in the open and says that we are mainly looking to sell in Taxi market. Taxi market needs two things i.e Mileage and Low Maintenance, of which both are fulfilled by this car.
Sadly, those 3 categories you mentioned will give this a steady 2-3k sales a month for some time. Celerio petrol was already overpriced and giving 70k premium for 2 cylinder is nothing more of insult. The only guys who really going to benefit out of this will be Taxi market.

PS: Thanks for Videos. Your Heads Up has given me a headache. The sound of engine is buzzing in my ears.
[lol]

Thread Starter #23

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Sadly, those 3 categories you mentioned will give this a steady 2-3k sales a month for some time.
Lets see the Sales figures of June, FD. And yes, to save themselves from the fury and insult of rolling out an eventual dud, Maruti will capitalize on these 3 segments. At least they'll try to receive the amount of investment they have done in making this "smallest" engine.

Celerio petrol was already overpriced and giving 70k premium for 2 cylinder is nothing more of insult.
Absolutely, and why this is acceptable, mainly because even the other good brands find it hard to compete with Maruti (evident from sales). Maruti knows it well that come what may, our product will sell on its own. May be it won't sell in Delhi, so what, we'll sell it in RJ, MP or other states.

The only guys who really going to benefit out of this will be Taxi market.
They could have named it "Celerio Tour" like the Dzire. When they launched Ertiga, it was kept for private buyers till 1 year. I am afraid, if Celerio Diesel will even survive for private buyers for 1 year.

People who are planning to buy a Celerio Petrol, will also give a 2nd thought. Reason, for them, its a Celerio. Perception would be "If Diesel one is so bad at performance, how'll the petrol one be?". Sales of the petrol version might also see some change.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Hmmmm.So this is just like pump set on wheels. I wonder if they can use kerosene as a fuel? Since Kerosene is not given as an automotive fuel in India,maruti had not done that.Else they would have done that too.[:D].Imagine,maruti can go down to any level to escape competition.Just like their fake JD power awards.

Lets see the Sales figures of June, FD. And yes, to save themselves from the fury and insult of rolling out an eventual dud, Maruti will capitalize on these 3 segments. At least they'll try to receive the amount of investment they have done in making this "smallest" engine.

Absolutely, and why this is acceptable, mainly because even the other good brands find it hard to compete with Maruti (evident from sales). Maruti knows it well that come what may, our product will sell on its own. May be it won't sell in Delhi, so what, we'll sell it in RJ, MP or other states.

They could have named it "Celerio Tour" like the Dzire. When they launched Ertiga, it was kept for private buyers till 1 year. I am afraid, if Celerio Diesel will even survive for private buyers for 1 year.
Yeah, they will take back the investment(I don't think they spent much [;)]), that's for sure.

If Ertiga was kept isolated for a year, because it was competent product in its own. But I heavily doubt the same for Celerio.

People who are planning to buy a Celerio Petrol, will also give a 2nd thought. Reason, for them, its a Celerio. Perception would be "If Diesel one is so bad at performance, how'll the petrol one be?". Sales of the petrol version might also see some change.
That's another view. But I hardly think so! If Diesel Celerio is bad, they will go Ritz and not some other vendor. Again maruthi gained another business!

Hmmmm.So this is just like pump set on wheels. I wonder if they can use kerosene as a fuel? Since Kerosene is not given as an automotive fuel in India,maruti had not done that.Else they would have done that too.[:D].Imagine,maruti can go down to any level to escape competition.Just like their fake JD power awards.
[lol] Indeed they are greed!

Thread Starter #26

Akash1886

Honoured Member
That's another view. But I hardly think so! If Diesel Celerio is bad, they will go Ritz and not some other vendor. Again maruthi gained another business!
See FD, in times to come, Ritz is going to be phased out and Celerio Diesel shall be surely phased out but bit later than Ritz. People in India, like to use Diesel car more than petrol ones. So, seeing this sub-standard diesel, they shall look for alternatives. Something that's refined and actually VFM.

Regards

Akash

Re: Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel Manual Driven.

They had insanely put a Tata Ace engine or auto ricksaw engine in a six lakhs car [lol] buddy then these are all very small things .
Hehe.. Man, none of them are even turbocharged.

Anyways if you like these kinds of comparisons then have a look into a
12 Lakhs TATA LPT 1190h or a 15 Lakhs Tata Starbus Ultra BUS both are with 3783cc engine
with respect to a
2179cc TATA ARIA.
Since, for you the cost of the vehicle is more about the number of cylinders and the engine capacity. This comparison will also gonna be very interesting. [;)]

Seems like you are having a very bad image with the fuel kerosene.

As with any distillation process, the “lighter” elements are the first to evaporate. Gasoline is one of these elements. Diesel is considered a “heavier” element, which means it does not evaporate easily. Kerosene is roughly between the two.

Gasoline: 125,000BTU/gal. Flashpoint is -40F
Kerosene: 135,000BTU/gal. Flashpoint is 100-162F
Diesel: 138,000BTU/gal. Flashpoint is 126-204F

Formula1 race cars used kerosene as the fuel until The International Sports Car Federation (FIA) put some restrictions.

Jet fuel is a clear to straw-colored fuel, based on either an unleaded kerosene (Jet A-1), or a naphtha-kerosene blend (Jet B). It is similar to diesel fuel, and can be used in either compression ignition engines or turbine engines.

The above explanations are not to prove these gasoline, kerosene or diesel are inferior or superior to eachother.
Its just to help those auto noob readers not to get confuse with "kerosene only as a fuel for the pump set" and the "tata ace/autoricksaw with the Maruti Celerio".

I humbly request every member to have a good attitude to educate the READERS with the pros and cons of this car instead of just blaming the brand and the vehicle with some lame examples. I believe thats what we need for the better reputation of our forum.

According to the Noise comparison of celerio and swift youtube video, I felt inside of the cabin has a decent noise insulation. But after reading Mr.Akash's review I found I was wrong. Now when I go through the review of Mr.Esseesse I found he is not much disappointed with its cabin insulation. So now I'm really confused.

So inorder to make our readers to get more idea about the cabin noise insulation, It will be good if anyone who is going for a test drive can use any SOUND METER app to get an approximate value which can be used to compare with other cars.

Regards.,

Last edited:

Hehe.. Man, none of them are even turbocharged.
He He buddy so you mean it is better to turbo charge a auto rickshaw engine [lol] (just kidding no offence )

I humbly request every member to have a good attitude to educate the READERS with the pros and cons of this car instead of just blaming the brand and the vehicle with some lame examples. I believe thats what we need for the better reputation of our forum.
Never gonna happen with this stupid engine I will never let any of my friends or relatives to get one[evil] ( if they ask my suggestion ) .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30

Akash1886

Honoured Member

According to the Noise comparison of celerio and swift youtube video, I felt inside of the cabin has a decent noise insulation. But after reading Mr.Akash's review I found I was wrong. Now when I go through the review of Mr.Esseesse I found he is not much disappointed with its cabin insulation. So now I'm really confused....to make our readers to get more idea about the cabin noise insulation, .... use any SOUND METER app to get an approximate value which can be used to compare with other cars.
Kiran, that is a nice suggestion![thumbsup]. In-Cabin noise in the diesel version of Celerio is significant and its highly evident specially when one sits in driver's seat. However, with which other diesels do you propose to compare the Celerio diesel's noise level?

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom