Maruti Suzuki Baleno Performance Upgrades

Thread Starter #1
Im planning to pick up a used baleno. How much will a well maintained one cost? Should i go for that or some other car(keeping the availability of spares in mind)?
And im interested to increase its performance. What about raj steel headers and sides? How much will they come up to? Or should i go for Red Rooster or some other brand? May i also know the details and pricing of supsension,brake rotors and pads and remapping.
Thank you [:)]

Re: Baleno

Dude, lets be clear on your requirement first. Baleno is a definitely a drivers car, but maintaining it would b a costly affair. Finding a well maintained Baleno is quite easy task (not like OHC vtec) All you require is patience and good luck.

Please do share your requirements.

350Z

Core Team
Im planning to pick up a used baleno. How much will a well maintained one cost? Should i go for that or some other car(keeping the availability of spares in mind)? And im interested to increase its performance.
You won't be let down with Baleno. It’s sure a nice sedan with fair scope of modifications. Since this thread is located in The Performance Zone Section, I would advice to start a separate topic in The Automotive Shopper Section to gather further opinions about the purchase. This thread can be kept for discussions about performance modifications for it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If you are going for Baleno then get it a above 2006 model.
You can get a good one in 1.80 to 1.90L
Try to find in Maruti True value.

Re: 2nd hand baleno?

Baleno has got some of the basic issues ( infrastructure ) like Maruti India do not produce spare parts they procure it from somewhere south east Asian country so end of the day spares are costly and waiting time is there.
wish you all the best

Re: 2nd hand baleno?

Im planning to pick up a used baleno. How much will a well maintained one cost? Should i go for that or some other car(keeping the availability of spares, maintenance in mind)?
Thank you
A Baleno Owner told me & even i had read some where the parts price for the car are more expensive than the 2001/02 Honda city vtec so you can look ta that car they do hold there resale value(around 2.5 to 3.5 lk),
You can get 2003 odd Baleno models for around 1.5 to 2 lk if in good condition.

What about raj steel headers and sides? How much will they come up to? Or should i go for Red Rooster or some other brand? May i also know the details and pricing of supsension,brake rotors and pads and remapping.
-When you mean sides you mean a side pipe i guess,that thing really sounds loud & exotic(many like it),consider a good air-filter also as this will help when you have a free flow exhaust(otherwise no use)
-Usually the header & exhaust should cost 18000 to 21000,i guess you get insulation option of using asbestos or ceramic coating for the headers exterior.
-Suspension upgrade really wont be necessary if you just looking at headers,so unless your going high psi turbo you wont need to worry about it,so a good set of tires should do.
-I do not know the recent prices of piggy back ecu's but it should be around 18000 but i hear the Baleno did not have much gain from the ecu tuning sector as the Honda vtecs of the time.
-Option of brake kits is vast but remember if you go for bigger brakes you will need to use bigger rims.
-Make sure you decide if you want headers for good pull in the lower rpm range(4-2-1) or higher rpm range(4-1)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Which is better,4-2-1 or 4-1? How is Lancer?

And can you tell me the diff between asbestos and ceramic coating for the headers. Just for looks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Second Hand Maruti Baleno?

Which is better,4-2-1 or 4-1? How is Lancer?
Well to be frank i have not heard of anyone complaining about low torque in a Baleno

-If your driving is usually in city & you want good pull until 3000 odd rpm go for 4-2-1
-If your in a moderate town & get to stretch the car to its higher rpms then 4-1 is fine especially since you want a side pipe.
-Lancers i feel dont seem that exciting these days & most of the modded ones here in Bangalore dont seem to be doing great with age,but some have been swapped with evo 6 but you can take a look at lancer Cedia it has good scope with its 2 litre engine,you can find some decent ones for around 4,some years ago when i had invested in a small used car business i had actually stumbled on a modified Cedia for 3.5 lakhs(not stolen[:)]) as the owner was in urgent need of cash,so you can hunt around on the Cedias but i hear most parts are imported from Japan & price is not the issue but parts availability

And can you tell me the diff between asbestos and ceramic coating for the headers. Just for looks?
To be honest i have not seen the ceramic coated ones but i hear its a neater finish (suggested if you will be using a transparent hood with lighting) but it costs 4000 more also(guessing from a conversation long ago),all my friends who have done headers have used the asbestos,but ceramic & asbestos coating is done to prevent excess heat radiating under the hood.

You can also take a look at the first type Honda Accord they go for dead cheap,but parts are on the expensive side.

Guess we should change the heading to "Second hand Baleno for modification."

Re: Second Hand Maruti Baleno?

1.6 petrols that were sold were no nonsense cars. like baleno/lancer/ikon.
We had all the three cars - baleno and ikon by friend and lancer by me.

except the price of petrol everything was perfect in them.

baleno spares are available and some are termed with SGP instead of MGP.

For modification baleno and lancer are apt choice and of the two lancer will be a head turner with lot of scope for modification.

Hi R-Owl,

Baleno is a mod friendly and well priced used car. Hope you find a good one soon.

Performance upgrade options (engine) -
1. A well designed header + exhaust system.
2. Adjustable FPR or aftermarket ECU (based on budget)
3. Stage 1 or stage 2 camshaft (stage 2 cam may require aftermarket ECU)
4. Air filter upgrade

Happy modding ...

Last edited:
JoeKing - Nice advise

Do you think there is a need of bit extra in the front , say struts and sway bars

I heard lots of performance cars specially AWD and Front wheel drive gets CV joints problem.

What do you have to say on that ? is it worth upgrading those things too

Oh yeah, those were just engine mods.

Strut/spring (suspension) mods changes the cars character completely. Not many make ready-made upgrade struts for Baleno. I think D2 had them - at a very high price point.
The other option is to pick up strut inserts and redo an old strut with the new insert.

Though strut bars are very effective in improving overall driving characteristics its often seen (india) that sway bars upgrades are overlooked. I feel an upgraded sway bar can offer quite a lot of handling improvement - but without the bling factor as its tucked down under the car.

I have not faced CV joint problems in most of my builds. I think most of the cars available here can handle about 30-70% increase in horsepower reliably. Beyond which you never know!! One of my friends had a faced a problem with a ride - Honda city with a H22 turbo swap. The drive shafts broke like tooth pick.lol. I think a part of the problem is using puck type or similar clutch setup without spring dampers - this transfers the entire shock while shifting to the drive train at one go (which the spring otherwise damps to an extend). The weakest link lets go.

In India people want to upgrade parts but then there is a lack of aftermarket parts. In here there are almost every part is available by 2-3 competitive brands .

Sway bars and strut bars helps when it comes to corners.

CV joint problems are so common on Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions because they are all wheel drive cars.

I've did a short test drive of a Evo 7 , mate's car

The upgrade market/ aftermarket is very small in India. The market has been steadily growing with more and more options being available now.

Whats the update on your car. Did u speak to your mech, any progress?

Top Bottom