Maruti Suzuki Alto Floor Rusting

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,
Need suggestion on this ( attached images). There is serious rusting in my Alto on passenger side flooring. I want to know :
1. If this can be repaired and how? Should be done at authorized MASS or FNG?
2. Will it be safe in long term?
3. What could be the approx cost?
Thanks.

Attachments

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1. Yes it can be repaired.There will be bodywork,filler used,welding done and repainting. The hole in the floorpan will be filled up.A good FNG can do it as good as a MASS.
2. Yes it will be safe.
3. Depends on the garage. MASS rates are obviously higher.Anywhere from 2000 to 3000/- if done properly.

If you do not have a reliable FNG in your area,opt for nearest MASS straightaway.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
When you get it repaired find and address the actual cause (like AC drain vent clogged and dripping inside or under-body splash)
Yes would check on this. Thanks for the nice suggestion.

1. Yes it can be repaired.There will be bodywork,filler used,welding done and repainting. The hole in the floorpan will be filled up.A good FNG can do it as good as a MASS.
2. Yes it will be safe.
3. Depends on the garage. MASS rates are obviously higher.Anywhere from 2000 to 3000/- if done properly.

If you do not have a reliable FNG in your area,opt for nearest MASS straightaway.
For point no 1, wouldn't they be cutting the existing metal and welding a new one? Is that the best solution?

Thread Starter #6
Guys update on this.
MASS denied doing the patch work, they are saying they don't do that and that the entire floor needs to be changed which would be roughly around 20k . [shock] Checked with only one MASS, not sure if other MASS would differ on this.

Took it to couple of garages, all are asking around 2500-3000 for the patch work.
Additionally i wanted to get the car under body and flooring applied with Zinc oxide and then rubber paint for future protection for which they are asking around 6-8k, which i find too much. What do you think?

Few more queries:
How much new MGP alto floor carpet would cost?
How many litres of Zinc Oxide and Rubber paint would be required for this activity?
Any rough prices and links for Zinc Oxide & Rubber paint?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
How old is the car? I have come across one case, in which the manufacturer had to get the work done under warranty for a 3 year old car.

BTW, VW and Skoda are better in this regard, if the rust appears; it means an immediate warranty claim. They highlight their anti rust stuff even in their brochures too.

MASS people insist in buying full floor panel but in reality the cut that panel for the required area and discard the other. Big MASS centers are having Spot welders, it is safe, but in small workshops they use Oxy acetylene welding( Gas welding Acetylene generated by Carbide tank) to mimic the spot welding but it is not controlled work in many aspects like temperature and quality of the weld, often metal near to weld lose its properties and rust again. So after the weld you need to make sure every inch of the are is covered with primer to stop rust in future.

In manufacturing plant after galvanization(applying a protective zinc coating automated process) the entire body negatively charged and submerged in primer sumps where the bath is positively charged. There are lot of holes in the structure of the body the primer flow through these holes and will evenly stick to the bare body.

I will always use these holes to spray engine oil + diesel mix 66:40 to stop rust this I do once in a year.

One must see regularly under chassis and important areas to ascertaining its condition.

Thread Starter #10
Today i showed it to another local welding shop, he initially quoted 3000 which later reduced it to 2400. This is for the patch work which he would be doing directly on the floor.

Then I showed it to another independent garage ( found via GoMechanic app). This guys diagnosed it to acid leak from battery which caused this rusting. There is rusting under battery tray etc too, and can see watery substance on top of battery. This could be the correct reason i feel for so much of rust for a car in Pune city. He said he will have to open dash, remove engine, petrol hose etc and then do the welding as doing the welding directly is not safe it seems since the petrol hose is close to the rust spot. In total he quoted 8k, out of which 3k are for the welding job and rest labour charges for removing engine, opening dash etc.

The car doesn't have any rust under body other than this passenger floor and under battery area.

What do you guys feel and suggest?

Last edited:
Today i showed it to another local welding shop, he initially quoted 3000 which later reduced it to 2400. This is for the patch work which he would be doing directly on the floor.

Then I showed it to another independent garage ( found via GoMechanic app). This guys diagnosed it to acid leak from battery which caused this rusting. There is rusting under battery tray etc too, and can see watery substance on top of battery. This could be the correct reason i feel for so much of rust for a car in Pune city. He said he will have to open dash, remove engine, petrol hose etc and then do the welding as doing the welding directly is not safe it seems since the petrol hose is close to the rust spot. In total he quoted 8k, out of which 3k are for the welding job and rest labour charges for removing engine, opening dash etc.

The car doesn't have any rust under body other than this passenger floor and under battery area.

What do you guys feel and suggest?
Are Apron and legs rusted?, you said under battery tray there is rust, that area is part of apron. Unless you share good photos it is difficult advice.

Thread Starter #12
Are Apron and legs rusted?, you said under battery tray there is rust, that area is part of apron. Unless you share good photos it is difficult advice.
Yes can see rust there. Will try to get pics for them, but not sure how visible it would be in pics.
What do you think about the above options ? Are those prices ok?

How on this earth can the leaked water from battery reach the floor pan? You have fire wall between the engine and passenger compartment.

Secondly, if the battery has a leakage, it wouldn't last even a month. IMO, this is absolutely bullshit of a story; battery is in the engine compartment - by no means can the water leaked from the battery can reach the passenger footwell; if it is so - then the AC pipes etc would have already all got decomposed under the acidic nature of batter water.

Thread Starter #15
Share the pictures and we decide what can be done best possible way.
I will get some pics soon.

How on this earth can the leaked water from battery reach the floor pan? You have fire wall between the engine and passenger compartment.

Secondly, if the battery has a leakage, it wouldn't last even a month. IMO, this is absolutely bullshit of a story; battery is in the engine compartment - by no means can the water leaked from the battery can reach the passenger footwell; if it is so - then the AC pipes etc would have already all got decomposed under the acidic nature of batter water.
Thanks for your opinion. I am not sure if he is bluffing, but all the rusting is under battery area and passenger footwell. Rest of the floor is all fine. Even if I believe it , I am finding it difficult to digest the labour charges he is asking for removing engine, dash board, wheel , suspension etc. In short for the actual patch work he is asking 2500, whereas the rest 5500 are labour charges ( Engine opening and fitting -2500 , Dashboard opening and fitting -1500, Suspension Opening and fitting - 900, Petrol and Brake Pipe opening and fitting -500, Brake Oil- 100).

Also what do you think about doing the path work directly from the passenger floor without removing anything? Is it dangerous because of petrol hose under it as the mentioned by this workshop owner?

Top Bottom