Maruti Suzuki Alto Floor Rusting

I am finding it difficult to digest the labour charges he is asking for removing engine, dash board, wheel , suspension etc.
( Engine opening and fitting -2500 , Dashboard opening and fitting -1500, Suspension Opening and fitting - 900, Petrol and Brake Pipe opening and fitting -500, Brake Oil- 100).
That's justifiable, not too much IMO

Also what do you think about doing the path work directly from the passenger floor without removing anything?
Depends on to what extent the current floor has to be reworked (towards firewall)
If it is minimal, Fuel & Brake plumbing can be removed and reworked instead of removing everything

Thread Starter #17
That's justifiable, not too much IMO
ok, let me check with one more garage which is scheduled for tomorrow. I am also concerned about engine removing and fitting, as mechanically I don't see any issues at all and don't want any new issues to come up. Anyways don't think I have any option.

Reg the detailed pics, i have clicked few,but not able to upload because good quality images are in the range of 5-8 MB, and i guess there is a restriction for size of 2 MB.

Thread Starter #18
Hello All,
Sharing some detailed images which I could manage today. Kindly share your valuable opinions as to what should I do.

I have also attached the pic of the area where the windshield meets the roof and A pillar. There is gasket damage there and also lil rust can be seen. Can this be the source of water leakage causing the rusting in passenger foot well?

Thanks.

Attachments

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
That's a lot of rust and at lots of places.Looks like this car was badly neglected for quite a long time!!
Surely ,after seeing the more detailed pics,I would like to take back my words now on the original expenses I quoted!! Your earlier posted pics mislead me into thinking that the problem is smaller than what actually it came out to be in the newer pics.
But don't lose heart,it can all be repaired if you don't back down on the expenses.A good body-workshop can repair this to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
That's a lot of rust and at lots of places.Looks like this car was badly neglected for quite a long time!!
Surely ,after seeing the more detailed pics,I would like to take back my words now on the original expenses I quoted!! Your earlier posted pics mislead me into thinking that the problem is smaller than what actually it came out to be in the newer pics.
But don't lose heart,it can all be repaired if you don't back down on the expenses.A good body-workshop can repair this to your satisfaction.
So what all things need to be replaced and repaired?

Thread Starter #22
Floor pan as well as the left side apron needs repair (and replacement if repair not possible).
Does apron replacement reduces resale value? Can it be done accurately by garages? I have read that car won't be perfect after apron is replaced and would cause wheel alignment and thus uneven tyres wearout for rest of the life of the car.

Usually two main reasons for rusting in cars.

1. Battery Sulfation.
2. Electrolisys corosion in cooling system.

1. Battery Sulfation: lead sulfate and released hydrogen causes terminal rusting that corrosion leads to battery holding clamps and lengthy bolts, entire battery tray starts rusting, this battery try is connected to directly to the legs of the apron so the apron stars rusting. I have seen lot of rusted cars due this and some with broken leg vertically down the battery tray. There is a along debate which causes rust lead sulfate or hydrogen or both it is been widely accepted that both causes rust.

2.. Electrolisys corrosion in cooling system: (i) Stray electrical currents in the cooling system. This more dangerous, it is a lengthy subject, this type of corrosion leads no only cooling system but also rusts engine block if cast iron block used, Anodized aluminium oxidation(present engine blocks), at the joints of rubber hoses due to electrochemical process and more importantly anywhere in the car where weak galvanized area due to improper manufacturing and galvanizing the car shell(body). there are several reasons but mostly improper ground and ground loops cause this.(ii) Worn out coolant, coolant loses rust prevention additives and promotes rust.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Does apron replacement reduces resale value? Can it be done accurately by garages? I have read that car won't be perfect after apron is replaced and would cause wheel alignment and thus uneven tyres wearout for rest of the life of the car.
Any opinions on this?

You have no choice if you want to keep the car. It is just not money workmanship of the workshop is very important in doing such jobs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom