Maruti Celerio AMT Behaviour on Steep Hill Start

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to know how Celerio Auto behaves when starting on steep slopes. In one forum I read it rolls back significant distance (around 1-3 feet) if you switch foot immediately from brake to accelerator like in conventional manuals.

What if you keep one foot on brake and the other on accelerator and try to move it with accelerator but without using handbrake first, that won't work?, still it will rollback?

Last edited:
Re: Celerio AMT behaviour on steep hill start

It also has manual option which you can use to climb inclines. Also, I was suggested by SA to use handbrake while climbing inclines.

If you are stuck in heavy traffic on steep slope uphill or downhill then use of handbrake is always a good option. In other case if you have good hands on your car then the scenario you mentioned wouldn't be a big trouble.

And Celerio AMT is easy to drive car.

What if you keep one foot on brake and the other on accelerator and try to move it with accelerator but without using handbrake first, that won't work?, still it will rollback?
At present i am doing this on my celerio. It will not roll back just keep left foot on brake and give some acceleration with ur right foot then you will feel the car moving forward at that point just remove your foot from the break that's it.
Using handbrake also helps and even suggested by company.

With good hands on experience one can avoid this exercise of footing both accelerator and brake simultaneously. I tried celerio on moderate slope with 5 people in it and it has sufficient low-end grunt. It may need bit of practice but is doable. [:)]

I don't understand here that why you guys are not using handbrakes which is also suggested by company.
I think it may not be suggested by company but SA. I don't think maruti will encourage using handbrakes while the car is moving forward in a steep, I may be wrong. But it is safe practice for newbies to use hand brake. I think it is comparatively easy to do it in AT cars by using the brake and accelerator in correlation as there is no worry of clutch.

Last edited:
Some excerpts from the Celerio's Manual (Page5-9)

NOTICE
Do not operate the system as described below. The life cycle of the clutch may be reduced.
1. Using the accelerator pedal to hold the vehicle on an uphill slope with the gearshift lever in the “D” or “M” position. If you perform this operation for a certain period of time, a warning buzzer will sound.
2. Holding the vehicle on an uphill slope using the creeping function. If you perform this operation for a certain period of time, a warning buzzer will sound.

Now, how to start on an Uphill, please see below again from Celerio's Manual (Page 5-10):

Starting off on an uphill:
Uphill
1) Apply the parking brake firmly so that the vehicle does not roll backwards.
2) Shift the gearshift lever to the “D” position while depressing the brake pedal. Make sure that the gear position indicator in the instrumental cluster displays 1st gear.
3) Release the brake pedal and depress the accelerator pedal gradually, and when the vehicle starts to move, release the parking brake and depress the accelerator pedal to start off.

This is what I'm following in last 6 months of my Celerio AMT ownership and it works butter smooth, whenever required. No roll back, whatsoever.

To add, it's a fun machine with a pepppy engine, always eager. Can maintain speed of 90+ kmph easily. Go for it [:D]

Thread Starter #9
Ok, is same procedure i.e. using of handbrake required in conventional Automatics also? Or this is specific only to AMT ?

Please note that here steep slope I mean 45 degrees or more..

Hi,

I was researching to buy a celerio AMT when i came across this post .. so decided to clarify your doubt on the CVTs ...

Most CVTs hold the car for a couple of microseconds from going in the direction opposite to the intended direction when in the respective modes.

Starting off on an uphill:
1) Apply the brake firmly
2) Shift the gear lever to the D mode while depressing the brake pedal
3) Release the brake pedal and depress the accelerator pedal gradually
4) The vehicle stand stills for a couple of microseconds till the momentum begins to move it fwd [D mode]

The same happens for the reverse [R mode] as well in conventional automatics.

The same holds good for MT cars with a Hill Start/Stop function.

Hope it helps [:)]

Btw @rajesh_nk22, did you happen to purchase the amt ? [confused] can you please provide some info on it's day to day functioning if so ?

Thanks.

I had owned Celerio VXI AMT from march 2016 onwards. When i drive through steep hill downwards, the vehicle kind of freeze up and suddenly reduce its speed, when the slope is about to end and road becomes almost level, (happens only when AC is on I think), i usually avoid it by pressing on accelerator as soon as i sense vehicle is to get jammed up. I used to drive in auto gear during downhill also, and use breaks for controlling. Hope I am not damaging my vehicle. Is this happend to anybody else???

A nice thread.

I bought a Nano xta last week and throughly enjoining the free left foot and hand.

Now to your topic, as some have suggested, before you start out on the climb, put the joy stick (I call it that) in 'M' mode and give a little more 'A' peddle input, never use the handbrake, or you could be in a situation. Celerio being a little heavier than the Nano, you will need more throttle input.

Enjoy your ride

Regards

Vinod

Well in my case(Dzire AGS), I follow the company published rule, engage h/b put in 'D' mode, gently push the A pedal (you will feel the car is trying to move ahead) at this very moment release the h/b. It feels too much of work a work to do, but seriously, it isn't. Once you get a hang of it you will feel it as routine.
Apart from the manual, on my drivers side door there is a sticker which says "Use hand brake for hill assist".

I have driven a CVT baleno too. The CVT baleno's creep mode is more powerful but again, depends upon the gradient on which the car is standing, so regardless of the transmission the hand brake rule is always the best. Never half-clutch your transmission you will wear your clutch plates.

Last edited:
Best way to handle a Celerio AMT on steep hills or hill start is to follow the standard company instructions of applying Handbrake to prevent rollback and also to be aware of the situation around the car. Although i am a new owner of a Celerio AMT, I have been following this and have not faced any problems.

Top Bottom