Maruti 800 Uniq (2009) Overheating

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a Sound Engineer by profession and have zero experience in automotive repair. However, I would like to learn about it and develop it as a hobby. I just brought my dad's Maruti 800 Uniq 2009 model to Bangalore as he wasn't driving it anymore. It has done 15000kms in 10 years which means it has been sparsely driven. Because of which there are lot of problems with the car. Before getting the car I had it serviced, which means the engine work has been done. I think something might have happened during transportation and noticed that the engine was overheating after 3-4 kms of driving. Upon opening the bonnet I found that the coolant was boiling and had spilled everywhere. Then I found that radiator fan wasn't running. I looked up for for possible causes and found that the coolant thermostat is the most common reason. So after going through a couple of videos I removed the radiator and found that there was no such part in my car. The video I watched might have been for an older model. So, I was hoping that someone here would be able to guide me on resolving this issue.

Thank You in advance.

There are numerous factors other than Thermostat valve .
1.Check with fan assembly (sometimes fan might not be working )
2. Replace the coolant ( Flush existing coolant and add new )
3. Check with radiator lines (to check for cracks or leaks ) , as 10 years high chances for metal components to be cracked .
4. Also while draining existing coolant ensure it doesn't have any rusty debris (If so , high chance for corossion inside )

Major cause which I doubt is - As vehicle isn't used to high running , chances are high that the new driving pattern might have triggered .

Thread Starter #3
Thank You for replying Vishnu.

Like I said, the car just came back from service and the coolant was flushed and filled. After the first ride, when I found coolant had boiled in the overflow tank and spilled, I refilled the coolant (30/70 with soft water treated Aquaguard RO water) and ran the engine on idle condition for 10 mins to get rid of any air bubbles.( Learnt this from a You Tube video) However I failed to check if the fan was running. After the second ride, when I saw that the coolant was boiling, I checked for the radiator fan and found it wasn't running. Both the times I noticed that the spilled coolant was green in color. Would you advise me to drain the coolant again and check?( Shouldn't be necessary in my opinion)

The vehicle ran fine for about 20 kms when I tested it after the service. I'm guessing something happened in the transportation after that.

I will post pictures tomorrow so that you have a better idea.
Any tips on how to check the fan assembly (I'm a total noob:tongue:)

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Check a blown fuse first and then check the radiator fan motor. If it's not working car will overheat.

My car faced the same issue aftrler getting it serviced from a local mechanic.
I bought wurth coolant and the mechanic filled it with normal tap water which I think messed up the thermostat valve and it wasn't opening and releasing the coolant which made the car overheat.

So first I will check for a blown fuse , then check if the motor works or not and then the thermostat.

Thread Starter #5
Check a blown fuse first and then check the radiator fan motor. If it's not working car will overheat.

My car faced the same issue aftrler getting it serviced from a local mechanic.
I bought wurth coolant and the mechanic filled it with normal tap water which I think messed up the thermostat valve and it wasn't opening and releasing the coolant which made the car overheat.

So first I will check for a blown fuse , then check if the motor works or not and then the thermostat.
Hi allhyundaicars
Thanks for replying. I checked the fuse and found no cuts or burns on the fuse. Then I followed the instructions from the following video to see if I can start the radiator fan manually but it didn't work. In fact I couldn't even start the engine after that.

I wanted to know of this video is accurate. If it is, then is it ok to conclude that there is something wrong with the fan motor? Also will a normal tester work to check if the wiring is proper or will I have to buy a special tool for the same?

Thanks.

Top Bottom