Maruti 800: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hi friends, I took a second hand MARUTI 800 MPI BS III AC (2007 model and reading at 75000) four months back . At the time I took the car, condition is good. Engine sound is good and good pickup. Now I noticed some problems.
1. Some grinding sound is coming from bonnet right side. Sound is not coming always, after i traveled some distance its coming and increasing while accelerating. Mechanic said water pump failed. With the water pump need to change timing belt and bearing. total estimation 1800/-. I read if water pump failed then coolant leak and engine overheat will occur. But there no leak of coolant and over heat problem. Temperature gauge staying at middle even after drove 100 km distance. Do in need to change all the parts told by mechanic?

2. Next problem is Poor pickup, even in 2nd gear, when I pressed the accelerator engine is roaring but speed increasing slowly. when overtaking its difficult to me. Mechanic said need to change Clutch plates. total estimation is 3200/- (clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and gear oil).

3. Next problem is brake oil drops on the top of the brake pedal. I observed they are coming from the a rubber bush at the top of brake pedal. I put clear plastic bowl under rubber bush. In one day it is dropping 3 to 4 drops. Mechanic said change Master cylinder (cost 700/-) and he also said 3 to 4 drops not a problem, top up brake oil every 2 weeks, if leaking is more then change the master cylinder.

Labor charge 1800/- total cost 7500/-

Friends please give your suggestions. do in need to proceed or go for another mechanic. Thanks in advance..

Hi friends, I took a second hand MARUTI 800 MPI BS III AC (2007 model and reading at 75000) four months back . At the time I took the car, condition is good. Engine sound is good and good pickup. Now I noticed some problems.
1. Some grinding sound is coming from bonnet right side. Sound is not coming always, after i traveled some distance its coming and increasing while accelerating. Mechanic said water pump failed. With the water pump need to change timing belt and bearing. total estimation 1800/-. I read if water pump failed then coolant leak and engine overheat will occur. But there no leak of coolant and over heat problem. Temperature gauge staying at middle even after drove 100 km distance. Do in need to change all the parts told by mechanic?

2. Next problem is Poor pickup, even in 2nd gear, when I pressed the accelerator engine is roaring but speed increasing slowly. when overtaking its difficult to me. Mechanic said need to change Clutch plates. total estimation is 3200/- (clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and gear oil).

3. Next problem is brake oil drops on the top of the brake pedal. I observed they are coming from the a rubber bush at the top of brake pedal. I put clear plastic bowl under rubber bush. In one day it is dropping 3 to 4 drops. Mechanic said change Master cylinder (cost 700/-) and he also said 3 to 4 drops not a problem, top up brake oil every 2 weeks, if leaking is more then change the master cylinder.

Labor charge 1800/- total cost 7500/-

Friends please give your suggestions. do in need to proceed or go for another mechanic. Thanks in advance..
congratulations for the car !its a mighty pocket rocket and quite abuse friendly vehicle.
1)check if the head gasket is fine Open the radiator cap see if oil is floating in the coolant also open the engine oil fill cap and check if there is a greyish white slime under the cap. These can indicate blown head gasket :in that case do the work told by mechanic ;at same time get timing belt also changed;also if the alternator is running bad you can get similar sound on right side .
2)clutch replacement seems the only way out make sure you get the genuine parts always
3)getting the master cylinder could be the option as the O ring could have damaged causing leakage.Its a safety concern so replacement is better
you can check my thread where i have put the parts specified and costs for the above works

Maruti 800 Steering Wobbling

Dear all,
Please help me by some quick reply
I was willing to buy a Maruti 800.
I test drove a Maruti 800 and found that its steering is wobbling after speed of 30 kmph. If I leave the steering while driving the car goes towards the left side.

Can this problem be solved by alignment
What will be the cost for m800 alignment ??

Last edited:
Hello All,

First post. Written in a hurry. I am in Bengaluru.

A Maruti 800 1987 model owns me.
I am currently getting him restored. I am looking for type 1 radiator grill.
Attached a picture for reference. Any leads would be appreciated.
Ive tried all MGP's in bengaluru, mostly. None has this type.

Thanks.

Attachments

(1) I have Maruti 800 DX 2000 Model. I am not able to tighten the right side Tail Lamp -- as two screws are slipping. I need to change the grippers (which are fixed in the body of the car) for these screws -- to properly tighten the screws. Where can I get these GRIPPERS. I live in Hyderabad.
(2) Also rain water is entering into the right side Tail Lamp area (Reverse horn area) and damaging reverse horns again and again. How do I prevent water ingress into reverse horn area? Where can I get gaskets?

(1) I have Maruti 800 DX 2000 Model. I am not able to tighten the right side Tail Lamp -- as two screws are slipping. I need to change the grippers (which are fixed in the body of the car) for these screws -- to properly tighten the screws. Where can I get these GRIPPERS. I live in Hyderabad.
(2) Also rain water is entering into the right side Tail Lamp area (Reverse horn area) and damaging reverse horns again and again. How do I prevent water ingress into reverse horn area? Where can I get gaskets?
1. Try Boodmo
2. If it's a small leak, fix it with M-Seal.

1. Try Boodmo
2. If it's a small leak, fix it with M-Seal.
Thanks for your reply. As I posted earlier I am not able to tighten the right side Tail Lamp -- as two screws are slipping. I need to change the grippers (???) or buttons (???) (which are fixed in the body of the car) for these screws -- to properly tighten the Tail Lamp screws.
1) What is the part name/part number (on Boodmo) for GRIPPERS or BUTTONS for Tail Lamp screws for Maruti 800 DX 2000 Model.
Thanks & regards.

Top Bottom