Maruti 800 Overheating Problem

mreccentric: What is the position of the temp needle?

As a rule of thumb, the needle should never go above the middle mark.It should be a hair to the left of the middle mark.If it is going over, you need to service the cooling system.

mreccentric: What is the position of the temp needle?

As a rule of thumb, the needle should never go above the middle mark.It should be a hair to the left of the middle mark.If it is going over, you need to service the cooling system.
hi jarpickle, Usually it will be near the middle. But, i think it goes more than that when i ride for 20-30 km in high speed. I'm not sure about this, will check it properly next time and reply.

Yes, any amount of kms shouldn't matter.The temp should never go above the middle mark.If it does the cooling system needs to serviced(flushed and all the components checked and replaced as needed)

i checked during a drive yesterday. The indicator reached a little more than the middle. I had stopped for couple minutes for some work and then when i started the car again, it was within the middle mark.

The reason it went more than middle mark was the i drove only in 2nd and 3rd gear for about 5 km.

Last edited:
I've some problems with my 2005 Maruthi 800 A/C Mpfi car (Lpg). The problem are
1. upon accelerating the car the engines noise is being increased.(a 'tik tik sound'
may be from the gear box)
2. upon turning the A.C on the car's getting down & the engine is turning off.
3. The bonnet is vibrating rapidly when the car is turned on and kept at rest.
4. My cars engine is getting heated up very often just for short distances and to get
the heat down fan is also turning on very often regularly.
5. My cars pickup is also decreased & it's a big problem when overtaking other
vehicles.
6. coolants level in radiator is also decreasing some what very often and also I
think its boiling because radiators cap is being very hot & some bubbles appear
popping on battery

"we have changed the spark plugs but its in vain.we have shown our car to three mechanics but they are unable to chase the problem and suggested us to change Mpfi plug chords." should I repair the Head? or should I change plug chords? or Should I clean radiator? I'm unable to make a decision .[confused]

Please help us rectify our problem as we are planning to on a trip to vizag city in our car which is 300km distant from our home town.

I attach you the photos of my cars radiator,bonnet and heatometer for better understanding.

Attachments

Check the compression of the engine.

Why does the coolant tank look like there is only water in it and not coolant?

How long ago were the engine oil+filter and gearbox oil changed?

I will leave the MPFi specific questions to Varun.I have Pm'ed him.

thank you for your reply.
We've changed engine oil+filter and gearbox oil 6 months ago.
coolants tank contains only water because the coolant is not flowing from the side coolant can to radiator automatically some one has to raise and hold the coolant can for the flow of it. so we poured some water in to the coolant tank.
What is 'the compression of the engine'?

Last edited:
Compression of the engine is the volume of each cylinder.You can check the compression by connecting a pressure gauge to the engine after removing all the spark plugs and cranking the engine.The ideal compression of each cylinder is 190 psi anything below 140 is bad.Variation is of +- 15psi is allowed.

Have you check the radiator piping?Maybe it is clogged, check the thermostat and thermoswitch as well.Remove all the pipes to the radiator, these are metal and rubber pipes and check for clogs.Also check the rubber pipe from the overflow tank(side tank) to the radiator.

For compression testing check this:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5044-my-modified-maruti-800-a-74.html

Last edited:
Check the thermostat valve once, it might have been blocked.

By seeing the radiator and its cap, I feel its clogged so the flow is getting restricted.
Try cleaning the radiator once. Change the cap too.

There would be no relation between the cords and over heating.

BTW does the car turn off as soon as the A/c is turned on ? (at idle / while car is moving)

If the fan is running there would be no issues electrically, the coolant(temperature) sensor would be working fine.

The tic tic sound would be either tight valves (tappet) or timing belt tension-er.
Tight valves would cause over-heating some times.

BTW are you running on gas or petrol ?

After all these are checked, final check would be engine head gasket.

Last edited:
hi all
in my ss80 japanese model water pump makes noise after adding the coolent any help please and it have in the form of steam any suggestion.
thank you.

Top Bottom