Maruti 800 Maintenance - Used Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Brought a second hand 5 Speed LPG Maruti-800 (1999) recently.Whilst the car is a typical maruti 800 beauty I am planning to do the following maintenance tasks.Any further inputs would be appreciated.Hope this is the correct thread.

1. Rubber Caps for the Holes present in the flooring of the car for water disposal.
2. MGP Windshield Washer liquid replacement.Earlier owner was using water.
3. Removing Headlight Condensation
4. Wheel Alignment
5. Gas Pipe Change
6. Carburetor,Blower and Air Filter Cleaning
7. Hardwater Removal Treatment for Windshield.
8. Greasing
9. New Seat Covers
10. LED Brake lights at the top of rear windshield for better safety.

Thanks

Hi amtidumpti, welcome to TAI.

BTW how many kms has the car run.

Those rubber caps cost you around 20 for a set of four,
The MGP liquid for windshield is 16 rs per sachet,
Its better to replace the headlamp unit,costs 600rs.
Wheel alignment get it done from a profession / reputed dealer.
As you have mentioned it as 5 speed car, it doesn't come with Carburetor
Airfilter can be changed cost 120rs, blower unit can be cleaned, is the car equipped with A/C ? If yes get the cooling coil also cleaned.

Other things are not so important, but you can get it done.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Varun560061...

1. I have heard the ratio of using 1 sachet of Windshield washer to the Washer Unit is 1:4.Hope this is correct.

2. Yes,the car has a AC.But 2 issues with it :

2.1 ) It slows the pickup painfully...(Not the normal downplay in pickup)
2.2) There is this low screeching sound when the AC is on.

3. Also I have noticed that when the car is in LPG mode,whenever I press the clutch while (gear) slowing down or braking at speedbrakers ,the engine shuts off .If I am in the petrol mode the car never stalls.

4. The pipe which was used by the earlier owner for the LPG connection in the engine is a transparent plastic pipe,which I feel should be replaced.It looks more like a temporary(jugaad).

5. The sparkplugs were loaded with carbon,with some RND I had them cleaned by burning in petrol and then scubbing with sand paper.

6. The seat cover got soiled incidentally when we visited a waterfall and since they are stiched to the car,I don't think they can be cleaned.I am hoping to put in some moderately cost seat covers once the rains are over.

7. Duplicate keys were created because they were twisted while opening the dickey of the car.I have oiled/greased the nooks and corners at home.

I am putting these posts as my experience with the first car,since many people opt for a Maruti-800 as their first learning car and may get some benefit from it.

Tighten the A/C belt, if doesn't help get the belt replaced.

Yes there is a drastic drop in pickup when A/C is on, this is normal for a small 800 engine.

Instead of burning the spark plugs you could have got new ones costing 60rs each.

Sorry I dont have much idea about LPG..As my car runs only on petrol.

Hi Amit,
Welcome to TAI & congrats on your purchase of the Maruti 800. I too own a 93 model. Bought it few months back.
I would like to add few more points in the maintenance list.
1. Check under the car for any rust etc. Get it cleaned and apply a coat of rubber seal.
2. Pull off the floor mat to see the body condition. Get it cleaned and rubber seal applied if required.
3. I would suggest you to change the spark plugs instead of using the older ones. As Varun said it costs Rs 180/- for 3 plugs.
4. Regarding the screech sound in the AC its due to worn out compressor clutch plate. Nothing to worry. The earlier user may have used the AC in LPG mode most of the time.
Does the sound go off when the interior is cooled or when You operate the AC in petrol mode ??
Excessive use of AC in LPG mode tends to wear out the AC Compressor Clutch.
5. IS the LPG Kit factory fitted or retro fitted. Get the LPG kit tuned and cleaned from a authorized and reputed LPG fitter. Some tuning is done in the kit to adjust proper flow and mixing of LPG. Will let you know about it soon.

BTW: Post some pics of your car and start an ownership thread.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Shantanu.lko,

Thanks buddy !

1. Any idea how much does it cost for this anti-rust coating.Also is it advisable to be done in rains ?
2. The body condition under the mat is good.
3. Ok,I will have it changes.
4. So,would I need to change the compressor clutch plate ?Also as Varun suggested I have tightened my AC belt.
5. I am planning to Visit the LPG fitting center tomorrow.Lets see what he suggests.Will post the updates on it.

Also I have started my ownership thread,but somehow not able to find it..[cry]

Hello Amit,
3M Anti-rust coating will cost you around 1200 to 1500 rs. Varun has got done 3M anti-rust coating under his car and can explain better. Yes you can get it done during rainy season. But in my advice do not drive the car in water filled areas after two days of coating it. I have done the coating myself using anti-rust coating which is used on iron gates etc. After the coat of anti-rust I have also applied rubberseal. The total cost of my work was appx 600 rs. But I would suggest you to get 3M done as it is better than rubber seal.

Its good to hear that the under mat portion is good.
Does the tightening of belt eliminate the noise ?? If yes then no need of changing AC clutch plate. Also lubricate the AC compressor pulley and see if the noise goes. No need to replace the clutch plate if the AC is working fine.

The link for your ownership thread:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/8775-pre-owned-maruti-800-5-speed-lpg-ownership-do-s-don-t-s.html

Thread Starter #8
HI Varun,

The reading was accidentaly reset before I took the delivery of the car,so it shows 4133 kms now.

Rgds

Hi Can you explain this if possible. I have Spark LPG [Company fitted] and mostly I use LPG and that too only with A/C. Does that means it will have problem?
Hello Sir,
This Problem is rare with Company fitted LPG kits as they are properly tuned and keep a proper flow and mixture of the gas.
According to a LPG fitter: Maruti 800 engine is a small one as compared to other cars. So while using AC on LPG mode it should always get sufficient amount of fuel to keep the engine properly running(Pickup(power) gets drastically low on my friend's M800 on LPG mode with AC on and 5 people on board). In after market kits, sometimes the setting is mis tuned thus providing improper flow of fuel, which tends to stall the compressor again and again thus clutch wears while restarting the compressor many a times.

From the last few months my evenings are spent in my friend's garage (just due to curiosity & learning about cars). He has many customers with after market LPG kits fitted and many of them have this AC clutch sound problem. He has 3 spark owner customers who come only for washing & polishing.[lol] Two of them have factory fitted LPG kits but have never reported this problem. Owners of M800 with factory fitted kits also never reported this.

Sorry for the long reply but the main reasons for this AC clutch sound is improper fuel flow(Petrol/LPG/CNG) or loose belt or some major leak in the passenger cabin or any reason which tends to restart the AC again n again wearing the AC compressor plate.

Mr.Shantanu thanks for the info. yes i have not faced much pickup problem in lpg mode. may be this might bet there when the car is full to the capacity but i think that is negligble.

Thread Starter #12
Hi Guys,

Visited the LPG service center on Saturday.After inspection the guys suggested I change the mixer and the LPG motor which is located in the bonnet.Mine was totally clogged with dirt and hence the gas supply was weak which was causing the engine to stall.I had the parts changed and also the entire kit serviced.Total cost was 2000 Rs.

Dear sethumurugan,

Kindly have your LPG kit serviced every 5000 kms is what the guy has suggested me.It includes cleaning the pipes,mixer,motor,auto tuning it.Even I am going to service my kit every 7000 kms now for long life.

Will be uploading pics soon of the parts.

Rgds.

Hey freind, Thanks for the information. I think ODO shows 6xxx in my sparky. I will check with him during my next visit. But Iam not very happy with KLN Motors service guys. I do not know what to do?

I think another service center for spark is TVS. Since I bought from KLN should i go only to KLN service or to Any GM Motors service station?

BTW, what is your car? was it company fitted KIT?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hey freind, Thanks for the information. I think ODO shows 6xxx in my sparky. I will check with him during my next visit. But Iam not very happy with KLN Motors service guys. I do not know what to do?
Well it is a suggestion.I believe your car is new,so kindly check for free/paid services.

BTW, what is your car? was it company fitted KIT?
Mine is 5 Speed Maruti-800 and not it was not a company fitted kit.

I want to change my tyres in my Maruti 800 Mpfi. Also there is a loud noise when quickly accelerating and when turning the steering to right and accelerating. And when I leave the steering while driving it itself turns to left side and it's pains hard to hold the steering and turning right requires lot of energy. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom