Maruti 800 Basic Upgrades. Help Needed.

Please suggest me tires and size. I will be going to buy the tomorrow i.e, Monday,4th Nov.
Falken sincera
Bridgestone
MRF
Apollo
JK Tyres
Ceat

Please suggest and reply ASAP.

Better stick to Bridgestone next choice would be apollo..

Whats the size you are planning..

Here are the tires sizes which fit into 800..

145 / 70 R12
145/ 80 R12
155/70 R12
165/60 R12

Right now I am using 145/80 R12 in my car without any problem. Was confused whether to use again the same size or go the default size. Thanks for the info. Will be buying Bridgestone 145/80 s248.

YO!!! guys and admins!!!!
Deepak, i to own an maruti 800 (red 2003 ac) completed 36k in 10 years, i have done the following things,
1 Seat covers. (red+black)
2 Sterring wheel cover.(red+black)
3 Center console (painted it black)
4 Flooring (Carpet + Mats + lamination)
5 Door pads (from blue to BLACK)
Needs to be done!!!!
5 Tachometer (from a-star) 1670 rs mgp store
6 Alloys (Plati or neo)
7 Strut Brace (for spirited driving)

mY 800 145/70 r12 with goodyear dura hi-miler , done 27k on it, awesome tyres!!

Hi,

Sorry but it is taking me a little long to change the tires. Getting no time from office. Before I change the tires, I think I should get it serviced first. The problems are as follows:

Engine noise. As soon as I start the engine. Even when stranded at one place it roars loud.
Front axle. They make a lot of noise when I start driving. Noise reduces or no noise when I go beyond 50+ speed and again sounded when shifts to third gear at a speed of around 30km/h.
Dent on both front doors. Front left door sometime creates problem when opening. It get in touch with the front part (above the tires, don't know the name) and bends it completely.
Right door lock not working. Have to open the left door first to unlock the driver's door.
Brake pads. Brake oil and other required services.

Apart from this I am planning to change my stereo and Install a new one. I had bought a double din Sony. But it could not be fitted so I gave it to my Brother-in-law and took his JVC stereo. So I need to change the console unit of M-800.

Is it possible to use zen or alto console in 800.

I will explain with pics in my next post.

Happy Driving
LiQuid

Hi Deepak,
Please check your rear suspension links for any wear and tear.You have not said about the back seat ride quality. The shock absorbers may also be weak by now.
Sound from engine needs to be looked after by a good mechanic.May be just a tappet adjustment will do the job.Both doors needs setting to be done.Not much of a cost on these ,if not going for denting and painting job.
Is the JVC also two din?

Hi Deepak,
Please check your rear suspension links for any wear and tear.You have not said about the back seat ride quality. The shock absorbers may also be weak by now.
Sound from engine needs to be looked after by a good mechanic.May be just a tappet adjustment will do the job.Both doors needs setting to be done.Not much of a cost on these ,if not going for denting and painting job.
Is the JVC also two din?
Hi Generalmax,,

I don't know how to check for the suspension thing. Regarding the ride quality, I find it ok. My car go easily upto 120km/h. On bumpy and pothole roads, I get a hard shock on the steering. Anything to improve this? Whereas in other cars I don't get much shock. I think to install shock absorbers. May be they can help.

I am completely a newbie and don't know much about cars. But with your guidance I too can learn.

Hi,

Sorry but it is taking me a little long to change the tires. Getting no time from office. Before I change the tires, I think I should get it serviced first. The problems are as follows:

Engine noise. As soon as I start the engine. Even when stranded at one place it roars loud.

Are you referring to the fan noise? If yes, check the coolant level and add water to it if level is less. (Coolant tank is to the left side of the engine bay next to battery (small white tank).

Front axle. They make a lot of noise when I start driving. Noise reduces or no noise when I go beyond 50+ speed and again sounded when shifts to third gear at a speed of around 30km/h.
It could be an issues with drive shaft, may be the cv joints are not having grease. Changing rubber boot and grease could solve the issue or if mechanic suggests change them completely.
boots+grease = 300 each side
new drive shafts = 1800/- approx each side

A damaged rubber boot on the drive shaft will first throw grease everywhere, later it dries out and starts to make noise. Here's a pic

Dent on both front doors. Front left door sometime creates problem when opening. It get in touch with the front part (above the tires, don't know the name) and bends it completely.

The part you are referring to is called the "fender" any mechanic can fix the fender and door gap (takes about 1hour time to perfect it). To align the door correctly, they will have to remove front bumper, wheel, fender and then the door bolts are accessible. It is simple adjustment and only labour will be the cost.

Right door lock not working. Have to open the left door first to unlock the driver's door.

Open the right side door pad and fix a tiny metal rod into the plastic hook of the lock, it takes about 5mins (easy DIY).

Brake pads. Brake oil and other required services.
Avoid buying KBX/Bosch brake pads, they have good bite but they tend to wear out the disc very soon compared to the delphi ones.

Apart from this I am planning to change my stereo and Install a new one. I had bought a double din Sony. But it could not be fitted so I gave it to my Brother-in-law and took his JVC stereo. So I need to change the console unit of M-800.

Is it possible to use zen or alto console in 800.
Stock M800 center console is now available with MGP stores on order basis, it can easily accomodate the single din player without any issues. Do not cut/ do any mods to your dashboard, rattling will begin if you install the player there.

I will explain with pics in my next post.

Happy Driving
LiQuid
Most of the things I have explained in this post are from my ownership thread. Link is here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-26.html

All the best.

Last edited:
Thank You SS80,

I believe there is nothing left to know. Your help is very much appreciated.

Today I got my both Axle and shocked replaced. He installed new shocker and swapped the Axle. Though the noise is still there, I believe I have been fooled for Axle. [frustration][frustration]

When I checked with them regarding the noise, they said that there is a problem with engine settlement. May be the engine is not adjusted properly, this is what they said.

Apart from this, I changed my tires to stock size 145/70 R12 Apollo XL. Set of four costed me Rs 7600.

The shocker seems to be good as I no more get any shock in potholes and bumpy roads. Just worried about the "Ghad-Ghad" noise.

Total Money spent : 2200 for shocker and Axle.
7600 for tires.

I am thinking to post a video for the sound from the engine. What do you suggest?[roll]

Tires seem to be a good deal (about 1900 a tyre right?). Did you replace the entire strut? both or single?

In the below pic, the middle circled item is one of the engine mounts.

There are engine mounts (rubber support) in our car, sometimes these might be lose or simply cracked due to aging hence check them once. May be you can post a few pics of the engine bay (close up of all major components as well, if possible)

Hi Anand bhai,

Thank you. Here are some of the pics of my car.

Tires:

Shocker Front Right and Left

Axle Right

Anand bhai I checked, there is no leakage of grease. Don't know why my car still makes sound. :(

Engine:

Car from front:

Inside:

I have a big problem with these carpets. They slip from there position and are not even rightly adjusted.

See yourself how they are adjusted.

Door unable to open. Hardly and gap between the fender and the door.

My Car:

Beneath:

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Now since I have uploaded the images, I want you to suggest me what to do for
1. The carpet. I need original carpet and want it to fit like the carpets in other cars.
2. I want to change the console. Can zen or alto console fit in?
3. What could be the problem with the sound? Is it silencer or dis-adjustment of engine.

And other feedback/suggestion is much appreciated.

New MGP carpet might cost you about 700+
If you fix Alto/Zen center console then head unit (music system) has to moved elsewhere. Alto console is a direct fit but it tends to get loose as there is nothing in the front to keep it in place. I had done this, looks good though.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/7160-fitting-alto-center-console-gear-knob-800-a.html

The sound part is something I cant really suggest anything, may be someone who has heard it and driven the car can comment.

Top Bottom