Map My India Road Pilot vs Garmin Nuvi 40 LM

Which is a better navigation system?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I’m in market to purchase a navigation system within a budget of Rs.8,000. Last weekend I checked at a couple of accessories shops to find out about the latest devices from various manufacturers. Although I had almost finalized to buy Map My India Road Pilot (with no frills) but all of sudden came a twist in the story.

A seller quickly demonstrated the Garmin Nuvi 40 (Hope I remember the model number correctly). He explained a few of its advantages over MMI (Bigger screen, 3D Maps, Lifetime free map updates, interchangeable country maps + free maps of Malaysia / Singapore, better hardware – MMI uses a Chinese make). Finally he also added that it’s available only for a limited period. The price is just five hundred bucks more than MMI Road Pilot. i.e. Rs.8,500. I found it quite impressive but I’m wondering is it actually worth? What about the coverage and after sales support of Garmin over Map My India? I would like to request existing users on our forum to throw some light.

MapMyIndia-Road-Pilot.jpg

Garmin-Nuvi-40LM.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Last edited:
Re: Map My India vs Garmin Navigation System

@ 350Z - Hi. Does the garmin nuvi navigator costing Rs. 8500 come with preloaded India maps?

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team

Does the garmin nuvi navigator costing Rs. 8500 come with preloaded India maps?
Yes, I do think so as he mentioned that it’s an overall price.

Drive Safe,
350Z

No idea about service network. But I was using Garmin Nuvi 250 in UK and taken the same to India, downloaded maps from GPS Underground, till date it works like a charm.

Garmin device / hardware quality is far far better than MMI in terms of quality, fit & finish.

Hey Vibhor, I have never used Garmin in India but back here in US it's the best gps and the hardware quality is wonderful as well. And i think it should work perfectly in India as well, if it has the Indian Maps downloaded in it. And yes the coverage is really good.

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team

Garmin device / hardware quality is far far better than MMI in terms of quality, fit & finish.
Even i feel Garmin is the best GPS device your money can buy in India.
Hey Vibhor, I have never used Garmin in India but back here in US it's the best gps and the hardware quality is wonderful as well. And i think it should work perfectly in India as well, if it has the Indian Maps downloaded in it. And yes the coverage is really good.
dont by map my india hardware is cheap chinese make
Thanks. Your suggestions have further increased my confidence on Garmin. Hope their support and coverage is as better as MMI. I’m seriously considering it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team

A seller quickly demonstrated the Garmin Nuvi 140 (If I remember the model number correctly).
Alright. I just checked. The model number is Nuvi 40 LM. It was launched last month in India and seems definitely better than Road Pilot. Here's the Press Release.

New Delhi, May 15, 2012- Garmin Corporation, a unit of Garmin Ltd., the global leader in satellite navigation, today entered the mass market with the launch of nüvi 40LM and 50LM devices. To be priced at Rs 8450 and Rs 9990 for nüvi 40LM and 50LM respectively, Garmin is making sure that people with limited use of GPS features should also enjoy the advantages of technology. Meanwhile, Garmin announced its new India office grand open in Jasola, New delhi.

The devices will come with free maps of Singapore and Malaysia, two of the most visited places by Indian vacationers. In India, NAVTEQ Maps power portable navigation devices (PNDs) by worldwide leading navigation brand, Garmin. These devices like other Garmin devices will have broadcast in Hindi and Indian English. The step was taken to provide easier solution to the users and direct them to their final destination. “Different from traditional navigation devices, which make it difficult to understand the street name or area because of in-built American accent, Garmin self-developed technology and was the first to implement Indian accent into devices. We believe Indian English sounds much more familiar and can be well-recognised by Indian people. Furthermore, voice guidance in Hindi will further help in popularising the devices,” says Tony An, Garmin Asia Marketing Director.

The nüvi 40LM display is a 4.3” widescreen. And, nüvi 50LM has an easy-to-see 5” large screen display. The devices come with free lifetime maps thus taking away the recurring cost and make the devices much more affordable in the long run. “Garmin nüMaps lifetime ™ will help you download the most up-to-date map information on streets, highways and points of interest as soon as new content is available for the lifetime of your Garmin GPS device,” adds An.

Talking on the need to introduce lesser priced models in Indian market, An said, “Garmin firmly believes that technology should not be restricted to the high and mighty. It has been noticed that masses travel a lot and need guidance to reach the destination. Even on vacation these are the people who love to travel on their own without any entourage following them. So, Garmin devices will fill in the gap making their vacations and moving around easier.”

Being a company which has reached a mark of selling more than 100 million products, Garmin has always made it a point that they reach maximum number of people through constant innovation and modeling the devices according to the needs of the people. “Whatever be the price of the product we make sure that the quality of the devices is never compromised. There can be additions or deletions of features but basic tenet of guiding the people to reach destinations safely should always be a priority,” says An.

For Garmin Indian market is as important as other markets around the world. “We enjoy 57% share in personal navigation devices in Americas and around 38% share worldwide. We entered Indian market more than 15 years and since then have been able to have a good share in the growing GPS market here. We are confident of increasing the share because of the quality that we provide and with affordable devices in the market we will have edge over others too,” adds An.

Some of the unique features are Junction View which helps drivers avoid last minute maneuvers, Lane Info guiding to the proper lane for navigation, Highway Mode telling you approaching exist on highway, Text-to-speech speaking street names in Indian English, Voice Guidance available both in Hindi and English, House Search for easier search and Go To Office/ Go Home with a simple click.

Garmin was founded in 1989 by a small group of engineers with a big idea: that GPS technology could be utilized by everyday consumers for both work and play. In 1991, Garmin sold its first GPS-enabled device. Six years later, in 1997, the company sold its millionth unit. A decade after that, in 2007, it had sold 25 million devices. It only took another five years for Garmin to sell its 100 millionth product.

In addition to continually advancing its highly diversified automotive/ mobile, fitness, outdoor, marine, and aviation markets, Garmin is growing its presence geographically in emerging markets like China, India, and South America; investing in its global automotive OEM capabilities; and making key strategic acquisitions that enhance the company’s technology portfolio.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
I have finalized to buy Garmin. Looking forward to get one this weekend. Meanwhile, more votes or suggestions are welcome.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
Got the Garmin Nuvi 40 LM finally. Will post a detailed review soon once I use it for a few trips.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congrats buddy. Did you get any discount?

Yesterday, I placed my order for an unbranded GPS navigator on e-bay. Delivery is expected after 20 days as it ships from China. It comes with 7 inch touchscreen, Bluetooth and FM transmitter. Its primary function is GPS navigation, however it also has multimedia capabilities so kids can also watch a movie while on a long drive. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see how it goes.

Wow even i wanted a navigator but this annual map upgrdation costs pissed me off. 8k is a killer price if it is a lifetime expenditure. Please post review

I have finalized to buy Garmin. Looking forward to get one this weekend. Meanwhile, more votes or suggestions are welcome.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hey Vibhor how's Garmin connectivity in India? And does it work when you are out of city limits or crossing through some small villages and all (I mean when you are travelling on highways). Does it loose connectivity in rural areas.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
Congrats buddy. Did you get any discount?
Thanks Manish. I received Rs.500 off. That is, at the official tag price of MMI Road Pilot and well within my budget.

Yesterday, I placed my order for an unbranded GPS navigator on e-bay. Delivery is expected after 20 days as it ships from China. It comes with 7 inch touchscreen, Bluetooth and FM transmitter. Its primary function is GPS navigation, however it also has multimedia capabilities so kids can also watch a movie while on a long drive. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see how it goes.
Congrats. May we know the price? I saw an advertisement of Map My India CarPad which has similar functions. It costs Rs.22,990.

Wow even i wanted a navigator but this annual map upgrdation costs pissed me off. 8k is a killer price if it is a lifetime expenditure. Please post review
Note that as usual there is a * associated with ‘Lifetime Free Updates’. The free updates can be downloaded only 4 times a year. Garmin also reserves the right to stop free updates in case they do not receive the maps from their supplier or if the product’s useful life expires (Typically 5 Years). Of course, it still sounds better than MMI. As I have bought it this evening, I haven’t used it much. If the service and coverage is really better then it can give Map My India Road Pilot a run for its money.

Hey Vibhor how's Garmin connectivity in India? And does it work when you are out of city limits or crossing through some small villages and all (I mean when you are travelling on highways). Does it loose connectivity in rural areas.
I have not used this device except for a quick demo this evening. Hope you don’t mean to say that Garmin is known to have the mentioned issues? I’m afraid. Don’t forget that I have bought it only based on the suggestions of you all in this thread. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom