Map My India GPS Service - Review

Thread Starter #1
A few hours back, I had my MapMyIndia [MMI] Lx130 navigator upgraded to the new map version 5.0, which was a Herculean task.

I paid Rs 990 for single upgrade plan on 7 Sep 2010. The invoice dated 7 Sep 2010 was promptly received on the next day. I was assured that I would get the link for downloading the new version 5.0 map by email and MMI customer support would contact me within 24 hours. Nothing happened. Then, I reminded MMI through email. Again nothing happened. When I tried their national toll-free number, it didn't work. When I called their customer support, I was informed that the concerned person, one Mr Syed, was not available in his place. I remembered my visit to government taluk office! When I requested them to take my mobile number and get that person call me later, I was curtly informed that I should call him the next day! I sent one more round of emails to the customer support.

At last, I received the download link from the concerned person on 10 Sep 2010 with instructions: After downloading and copying to my navigator, I should send the MMI ID, storage ID, etc. to them to enable them to send the licence. I didn't understand the logic behind this. All these ID details are with them as I had already registered in their website, but they asked me to send the details, which I did on 13 Sep 2010 as I was out of station without my MMI Lx130 navigator, which didn't work without the licence file.

Again silence. Nothing happened. I called the customer care, only to be told that the concerned person was not there! Again, I sent two more rounds of emails with nil reaction from MMI. Thank god, today, I was lucky enough to talk to Mr Syed on my second attempt. When I poured the details, he assured me that I would get the licence file before 4 pm today. He called me at 3 pm and informed me that he had already sent it.

The rest, as they say, is history! I downloaded the licence file and pasted it in my navigator. Now, I have a choice of many Indian languages and I chose female voice to guide me in Tamil. On a quick glance, I find that all the recent landmarks are added to the PoI. But, I lost my favourites saved in the previous version.[frustration]

So, I made the payment on 7 Sep 2010 and upgraded to new map version 5.0 on 17 Sep 2010. MMI should pat its back for the prompt action taken!

My Nokia X6 has been a great help to us, as we are a bit new to driving in Bangalore (we had been relying purely on our driver before). So, I plan to get an MMI GPS when I get me new car.

Sir , even i have one MMI navigator with me , its pretty nice to use but after seeing from you i guess its difficult to upgrade! But 10 days is okay for me i can wait , but had you not been contacting them frequently i don think you would have got it in 10 days.

Thread Starter #4
cooldhaya and *Arkin_Young*,

My MMI navigator is really good and its map covers both urban and rural areas. No second opinion about that.

But, what irked me was lethargic process worse than government departments. Since I bought the single upgrade map plan online, which already has all the hardware and software/map details of my Lx130 navigator, they could have sent the download link including licence file at one go instead of sending them in instalments. Already MMI maps are costlier than that of its competitors and with this time-consuming process, many potential customers may feel discouraged to patronize with MMI, IMO.

Thread Starter #6
Competitors of MMI are SatNav and Garmin.

I believe, SatNav maps are more economical with less coverage comapared to MMI. People usually buy the costlier and popular Garmin hardware from the USA and load it with SatNav maps. MMI maps are good but not their hardware, which are cheaper Chinese makes [including mine!]. The problem is Garmin doesn't come with pre-loaded India maps. Alternatively, you can also buy Garmin Nuvi from MMI pre-loaded with MMI maps! MMI charges Rs 7 k for maps on stand-alone basis.

@Arkin: A Gps compatible phone is what you require.
A list of phones on their website support maps by MMI.
The maps for phones cost from 2500/- onwards, based on your subscription.

The real accuracy of Satnav/Garmin is that, it work's well in Southern India.
Rather than any parts of India.
They will have preloaded maps.
But updation will be costly.

Well, I'm currently using my Nokia X6's GPS. My dad's phone doesn't even have GPRS, forget GPS, my maps aren't always accurate. ie - Sometimes I'm told to turn into one ways and take U - turns where they are prohibhited. :eek: Yes, I know about MMI maps for GPS phones like mine, but I think it is better it have a standalone device, as it helps, esp. when I'm outta town alone.

Yes Arkin a separate device is always useful especially when moving out of station. Go for MMI its really accurate and does not have the problem which you face now. Also you have several other options in MMI like next nearest petrol bunk , restaurants , hotels etc.

I am also planning to buy a gps device to enable me to go places where I have not been before. Till now google on my blackberry served the purpose. What would be the cheapest but great MMI device would cost with everything or ready to use. I need approx. Final cost to determine.

Top Bottom