Map My India GPS Service - Review

I don't understand what people are doing with those ugly bricks costing 8k and 12k

10k gives you Very nice 5 inch Android phone and you can download navfree which is offline GPS and totally free! 13k gives you 10 inch 3g tablet with GPS that's heaven to use.

dedicated GPS units are totally fail!
Thanks VHVM. I downloaded NavFree yesterday and tried it, it worked like a charm in offline mode.

I planned a route and intentionally started deviating from suggested route while keeping the destination same and Navfree adopted the route very fast and started giving path direction correctly.

Viru, thanks for the tip, however following things to note.
* This method just cache the map so that you can later use it.
* There is no search-ability
* There is no navigation.

So for me not much of use, correct me if I am wrong.

Also I feel we are going off topic here, here is the thread to discuss on this topic
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/11111-best-gps-device-india.html
It does cache the map, but if you have GPS on it lets you search and navigate without problems. The navigation is quite accurate actually, and you can even tell it to avoid tolls! [evil]

Or at least it works on my phone, have you tried updating?

Friends i have downloaded SYGIC GPS app in my mobile. but i wanted to navigate to a specific place it is not showing in map. I was looking for Casa Grande Futura, Sriperumbudur, Singaperumalkoil - Sriperumbadur - Thiruvallur - Redhills Rd, V.R.P. Chatram, Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu 602105, India. pls guide me how to do this. When I search am getting some other places and the progress bar is repeating after 100% again and again.

and i have sent some wrong place as home. pls help me to remove it and Fix current home as home.

Friends i have downloaded SYGIC GPS app in my mobile. but i wanted to navigate to a specific place it is not showing in map. I was looking for Casa Grande Futura, Sriperumbudur, Singaperumalkoil - Sriperumbadur - Thiruvallur - Redhills Rd, V.R.P. Chatram, Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu 602105, India. pls guide me how to do this. When I search am getting some other places and the progress bar is repeating after 100% again and again.

and i have sent some wrong place as home. pls help me to remove it and Fix current home as home.
It is good for point to point travelling such as city to city or find a famous temple in city ?

Almost all famous shops and business malls are registered with Google or google maps, so the way is while at home you can search and get the location/ route on google map then save that particular area google map in your mobile to male use of it while in offline,

It is good for point to point travelling such as city to city or find a famous temple in city ?

Almost all famous shops and business malls are registered with Google or google maps, so the way is while at home you can search and get the location/ route on google map then save that particular area google map in your mobile to male use of it while in offline,
Madhu, I was trying to explore the new feature, that is it. Yesterday i was going to my sister's place and want to try GPS. I think I have explored nearly 50-60%. it might take some more time.

Saving route map, re loading, saving location and all am okie as of now.

Sorry Sethu, could not respond to you immediately little busy these days.
Quick answer, when ever you are not able to find the location on Sygic, best option is search for the location on google maps on computer and locate the GPS coordinates of that point. Then in Sygic enter the destination using the GPS coordinates and save that location for future use. Generally I do this when ever I am planning a trip. But on the fly preparation of the route this may not be feasible for most people as you need first to locate the GPS coordinates.

Sorry Sethu, could not respond to you immediately little busy these days.
Quick answer, when ever you are not able to find the location on Sygic, best option is search for the location on google maps on computer and locate the GPS coordinates of that point. Then in Sygic enter the destination using the GPS coordinates and save that location for future use. Generally I do this when ever I am planning a trip. But on the fly preparation of the route this may not be feasible for most people as you need first to locate the GPS coordinates.
Lovely reply. I just guessed it (based on my past practice) but un fortunately I could n't find the GPS coordinates (do not have time to do research yesterday morning) today I will try that. Thanks a lot. (the specific location was properly available in google maps)

BTW, now i know the specific place is not marked in SYGIC. Is it possible for me to add it, improve search for others so that i can improve it? ( I generally do that in Google Maps)

Lovely reply. I just guessed it (based on my past practice) but un fortunately I could n't find the GPS coordinates (do not have time to do research yesterday morning) today I will try that. Thanks a lot. (the specific location was properly available in google maps)

BTW, now i know the specific place is not marked in SYGIC. Is it possible for me to add it, improve search for others so that i can improve it? ( I generally do that in Google Maps)
Sethu, go to google maps, and locate your destination then click on it and right click, this should give you a menu, choose "what's there?" that should pop up a window with location and two sets of numbers, try to put in those numbers as GPS coordinates. I have not tried that since some time, but I have done it and it works. Basically you need to get the co-ordinates.

Regarding the ability to add the missing destinations to Sygic map, I think its not there though it could be very good feature but verification of users input may be biggest issue here. People will start misusing such facility. [frustration]

Sethu, go to google maps, and locate your destination then click on it and right click, this should give you a menu, choose "what's there?" that should pop up a window with location and two sets of numbers, try to put in those numbers as GPS coordinates. I have not tried that since some time, but I have done it and it works. Basically you need to get the co-ordinates.

Regarding the ability to add the missing destinations to Sygic map, I think its not there though it could be very good feature but verification of users input may be biggest issue here. People will start misusing such facility. [frustration]
Setu,

Go to google maps, find the location. Take the correct spelling from google maps and put in your navigation. This works 100%. I'm exploring the Hyderabad with navigation which available in Android based Smart Phone.

Just search for the term "Casa Grande Futura, Sriperumbudur"

You will get it in google maps, i just tried and able to get it

Setu,

Go to google maps, find the location. Take the correct spelling from google maps and put in your navigation. This works 100%. I'm exploring the Hyderabad with navigation which available in Android based Smart Phone.

You both are right, but Sethu is asking, how he can locate that location in Sygic mapping software. So I suggested him to get the GPS coordinates from google maps and use it in Sygic.
Remember Sygic is free offline navigation software and has much more functionality than google maps and does not need any internet connection during voice navigation.

Sometimes we should trust the local people, in remote location as they know the best way which was not at all in google maps,

Setu,

I could find a route for the specific location in google maps. But not in Sygic map. That is the problem.

Perfetly works Indian. Great. Only thing is I could n't type all digits from Google GPS Co-Ordinates into Sygic map co-ordinates. I hope that last digit does n't matter.

gps-cor.png

Perfetly works Indian. Great. Only thing is I could n't type all digits from Google GPS Co-Ordinates into Sygic map co-ordinates. I hope that last digit does n't matter.
Yes Sethu, I do this many times, some times I receive the link from my friends on the location, I just take out the GPS info and feed it to my Sygic and save it for future. Yes the last digits are not required as it will only add to the accuracy.

Top Bottom