Map My India GPS Service - Review

Yes, we do need to upgrade maps once in a while. Roads keep getting blocked/unblocked, new petrol bunks/malls keep coming up etc., don't they?

@ Shailinder The cheapest model is available for 8k in market but its availability is very rare. The next best model is around 12k i think and it comes with a slightly bigger screen and blue-tooth enabled. If you feel your navigator is enough just to show the routes then go ahead with the 8k model , its very accurate and VFM too. if you don find the 8k model in the market then try ordering the piece through MMI'S official website.

Yes during purchase they will ask your e-mail id so that if any update has been released they will mail you the link for the update directly to you. I think it will updated once in a year to incorporate the new routes and other places in the map. The device comes with a six month warranty period.

@ Arkin You also go for the 8k model itself. It serves the basic purpose of navigation.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Please confirm: Once purchased do we need to upgrade MMI often or not at all required ? What type of warrenty we get on such products etc.
If you want to have the latest maps with new landmarks, then you have to upgrade. If you are happy with the old map, you can continue with that. No worries!

As regards to warranty for the hardware, I got 6 months warranty for my Lx130 Chinese make. Thanks god, nothing untoward happened so far and it is working fine.

Re: Map My India Vx 140s GPS Service - Review

Hey guys finally here goes my review of Map My India(MMI) in shortcut.
Model Vx 140s.

So here goes the decision to finally go for MMI Sat Nav, after the Iphone remained in locked condition.

We were really in need for a Navigation device.

After inquiring about it with paahujaAmith(TAI'n) , he clarified my certain doubts.

That helped me a lot.

The GPS is absolute VFM in city conditions.

If you come across a one way, and if you change the direction, it automatically calculates the next route instantly.

It helped us a lot while at Kerala.

And we never asked anybody for route direction.

Pro's:
  • 1. After reaching a destination, just looking the nearest POI(Point Of Interest) will help you in finding a place.
  • Ex: Nearest ATM , Fuel Pump, Religious places, Beaches etc.
  • 2.You can find a contact number of Hotels and enquire.
  • 3. With minimum back lit i got a backup of 2 hour 45 mins, which is good.
  • 4. The holder of GPS is good, but gets bogged down in severe bad roads or potholes.

Con's:

1. You cannot search or Enter a destination while at the basement of parking lot, As it needs a minimum of 2 satellite locking to work.
  2. New unbuilt roads have to be updated.
  3. You have to enter an exact location name for Ex: Payangadi in Kerala is stored as Pazhayangadi in MMI.
    So one must be specific in finding routes.
  4. Till you get used to it at night its disturbing while you see left ORVM to overtake, esp at Kerala.
  5. Satellite locking in the first use takes 2-3 minutes.

Final Verdict: Its 98 % Accurate.

That was a great review. Finding the right spelling is a big task with MMI, I searched using google maps to get the exact spelling and then entered on to MMI.

For the left ORVM issue, is it something to do with brightness or the device is blocking the ORVM?

That was a great review. Finding the right spelling is a big task with MMI, I searched using google maps to get the exact spelling and then entered on to MMI.

For the left ORVM issue, is it something to do with brightness or the device is blocking the ORVM?
I have placed it in center, and the brightness is minimum.

No device doesn't blocks ORVM.

mmi lx 130 has a night mode which is not disturbing during night drives. during the late night drives i had in rajasthan mmi was really helpful. i got it from calicut for rs8000/.the guy also promised me a free upgrade which i haven't utilised till date.
mukeshus many of the places are misspelt in mmi.

U mean it will cost Rs8k only to intall maymyindia with screen?
Or do require other things also with it ?

i often drive through the rural areas on the high ways as well as on ghat roads. i have noticed guys equipped with navigation devices asking /confirming details from locals. i feel they are not very effective in mountians . it may be due to screening effects of the mountains. one of the main reasons why i still prefer local guidance to gadgets and have still kept pending the decision to buy a navigator.

I have Navigation in my Manza (OEM fitted - Blaupankt manufactured, mapmyindia navigator) as well as in my Samsung GT I-9082 mobie with Vodadone 3G connection. Here is my experience:

1. Almost every places are found in my mobile but not in my mapmyindia.
2. Navigation system starts much faster in my mobile.
3. Never lost GPS signal in my mapmyindia but sometimes in my mobile due to fluctuations in 3G network.
4. Both are equally accurate.
5. My mobile's navigator is completely free of cost and up-to-date (I don't care about the 3G data used), but my mapmyindia navigator needs upgarde costing around 2k.

In an essence, I would recommend my mobile navigator! BTW, I live in Kolkata and all these experience is about Kolkata and nearby places.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I don't understand what people are doing with those ugly bricks costing 8k and 12k

10k gives you Very nice 5 inch Android phone and you can download navfree which is offline GPS and totally free! 13k gives you 10 inch 3g tablet with GPS that's heaven to use.

dedicated GPS units are totally fail!

I don't understand what people are doing with those ugly bricks costing 8k and 12k

10k gives you Very nice 5 inch Android phone and you can download navfree which is offline GPS and totally free! 13k gives you 10 inch 3g tablet with GPS that's heaven to use.

dedicated GPS units are totally fail!
Which is the best app for navigation. Can you please give details of navfree app ? Is it available in playstore ?

"Sygic India Navigation and Maps" is another app from Google Android Store - Free.
Not posting link as I am not sure if it is allowed.
Have just downloaded it - not used it yet.

Which is the best app for navigation. Can you please give details of navfree app ? Is it available in playstore ?
Here it is...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura_mmi

You just need a decent android based phone, I have been using the phone based GPS Navigation since long time and very happy with it. You can use the GPS not just in your car but anywhere. Add to that it has 'walking mode' which you can use it in unknown city.[clap]

Top Bottom