Mangalore Route

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am planning for a trip to Mangalore from Bangalore or Coimbatore. So anybody have some idea about both the routes, kindly let me know.
I need Route details for Both from Coimbatore and Bangalore.
Coimbatore - Mangalore
Bangalore - Mangalore.

Take the bangalore-mangalore highway. The one that passes through nelamangala.The road till hassan from bangalore is a breeze. Its only the ghats that you have to bother of. Terrible. 40 kms will take a little under 2 hours. We had driven on the ghats under the rains though. The oil tankers will make you run out of patience. Sakleshpur ghats is where you have to be patient and carefull. Once you are done with the ghats, the road again is good.

Hi guys,
I am planning for a trip to Mangalore from Bangalore or Coimbatore. So anybody have some idea about both the routes, kindly let me know.
I need Route details for Both from Coimbatore and Bangalore.
Coimbatore - Mangalore
Bangalore - Mangalore.
Hi Ambylovers, i had been to Mangalore last month on 18 th of October via Shiradi Ghat, which is in bad state.

While going down the ghats atleast roads were motorable, but while returning the roads have deteriorated.

I will update you with the lots of pictures i have by evening.

We went through Shiradi while going to mangalore, and covered the stretch of ghat in 1 hour 15 minutes on the Scorpio.

While returning from Mangalore back to Bangalore, we took Charmadi via Beltahngady.

Route followed : Mangalore-B C Road- Belthangady - Kottigehara - Mudigere- Belur- Hassan-Bangalore.

This route is scenic all the way.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Ajay and Mukesh.
Actually i am planning to take my Linea to Mangalore. So whether the bad patch of road is just 20 to 30 kms or more than that.
And also one more query, tha bad patch which you mentioned is more rough ones, or managable one.

Came from bangalore to mangalore via shiradi ghat
Some 20 km is very deteriorated last time I went 1 month back.

This stretch is some 20 min after crossing sakeleshpur due to very heavy rain flowing on the roads. It will take 2 hours to cross the ghats

Charmadi ghat is scenic route but a little longer one.

@Ambylovers

From Coimbatore there are two routes

A. Coimbatore>Palakkad>Mannarkkad>Manjeri>Thamarassery>Kalpetta>Thirunelly>Gonikoppal>Madikeri>Mangalore. If you are a nature lover you will really enjoy this drive. Gonikoppal-Madikeri stretch is little in a bad shape but manageable. From Thamarassery the ghat road starts. Else you can go via Ooty>Sulthanbathery>Madikeri

B.
Coimbatore>Palakkad>Mannarkkad>Perinthalmanna>Malappuram>Kozhikkode>Mahe>Thalassery>Kannur>Payyanur>Kasaragod>Mangalore. The roads are good but traffic is more.

Last edited:
ramji how do you reach tamarassery from manjeri ?
SR, this is a shortcut, and i always take this route to Kalpetta, as my uncle lives there.

After Mannarkkad take right instead of left to Perinthalmanna, the road goes to Manjeri. And from Manjeri take right to kavanoor-Mukkam-Thamarassery. The road hits Calicut-Kalpetta road.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks guys for your valuable information.
I have asked my friends in coimbatore about the route from Coimbatore. They replied its not a four lane road and the traffic will be more it seems. Its around 440 kms.
Now i need to take a decision by this week end to finalise the trip plans.

Thread Starter #11
Hi Guys,
Finally decided that i am going to travel from Coimbatore to Mangalore next week. Route information is
Coimbatore - Kozhicode - Kannur - Kasaragod - Manjeshwar - Mudipu.

Hi Guys,
Kindly tell whether any toll gates were there in the route which i mentioned above.
Hi amby lover.
The route you have mentioned doesn't have any tolls atleast from Kannur.
You can expect some bad roads nearing Manjeshwar and onwards till Pumpwell circle junction of Mangalore.
The patchy stretch will be more nearing Ullal.
If you come across Mahe fuel will be cheaper.

Weather is humid in mangalore.

Hey wait why are you leaving to Mudipu, if you have some work there.
Then you have to take right near Ullal Bus stand and then have to proceed with lots of deviation.
Mudipu has Infosys campus.

Mudipu is away from Mangalore area.

Last edited:
there are few tolls 1 ) after quilandy there is the nandi toll gate inr 5 for one way. 2 ) edakkad after tellichery another toll INR 5. 3 ) after nileswar another toll was there it was shut down don't know if it has restarted.

Guys, any idea if the "temporary repair" works have started on the shiradi ghats. Planning to go to mangalore during last week of december. The last trip, i had taken charmadi.

Top Bottom