Making Amendments To Driving License Age Limit in India

Thread Starter #1
In India, there is a huge number of teenagers who drive without driving license on the streets. The police even fine them but the parents just don't care for it. They fall for the child's words & they even end up buying a 2-wheeler or a 4-wheeler for them without even attaining the age. Moreover, there is enough number of accidents occuring among the college going students. The accidents are happening even among the under aged teenage children which is hidden in our society.
So, I need TAI'ians voice on this. What do you think? Should the minimum age for driving license be reduced to 16 like USA or increased to 21-22? Can it reduce the number of accidents?

Re: Should the minimum age for driving licence be reduced to 18 or increased to 21-22

Reducing the age limit for 2 wheelers license is a good idea. i would propose following,

MotorCycle Without gear (<100cc) at the age of 16
MotorCycle With gear (>100 to 150cc) at the age of 18
MotorCycle with gear (>150 to 220cc) at the age of 20
MotorCycle with gear (>220cc) at the age of 22
Light motor Vehicle < 1000cc at the age of 18
Light motor Vehicle >1000cc to 1500cc at the age of 20
Light motor Vehicle > 1500cc at the age of 22 & above

Certainly this will not reduce the number of accidents we have on our roads, however, it will certainly REDUCE THE DAMAGE subject to accidents!

350Z

Core Team
Re: Should the minimum age for driving licence be reduced to 18 or increased to 21-22

I feel India has a fair policy for attaining the driving license. 18 Years is neither too low nor too high. Bottom line is that it depends upon the maturity of a person who is driving the vehicle. He must be able to handle / control it carefully and also have sense to be able to understand what are traffic rules or policies and the reason why they should be followed. An eighteen-year-old person is capable to understand both, otherwise even if the age limit is increased to 30 and the person still lacks basic road sense, the road accidents will continue to happen now and then.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Should the Minimum Age for Driving Licence Be Reduced to 18 or Increased to 21?

IMO
MotorCycle Without gear (<100cc) at the age of 16
MotorCycle With gear (>100cc to 250cc) at the age of 18
MotorCycle With gear (>250cc to1000cc) at the age of 20
LMV at the age of 18
There should be seperate liscence and test for sports cars(like lamborgini, bugati, ferrari, etc..) and sports bike >1000cc(like R1 and all) after the age of 20.

Re: Should the Minimum Age for Driving Licence Be Reduced to 18 or Increased to 21?

18 is the right age for license. But restrictions can be imposed for driving vehicles with bigger engines, like for 150+cc bikes requires one to be 20 or 21.

I feel India has a fair policy for attaining the driving license. 18 Years is neither too low nor too high. Bottom line is that it depends upon the maturity of a person who is driving the vehicle. He must be able to handle / control it carefully and also have sense to be able to understand what are traffic rules or policies and the reason why they should be followed. An eighteen-year-old person is capable to understand both, otherwise even if the age limit is increased to 30 and the person still lacks basic road sense, the road accidents will continue to happen now and then.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Well said Vibhor.

18 years is fine.
At that age when they are ready to decide who will be the law maker, driving sensibly is not a big issue.

As you rightly pointed out, knowing traffic rules, having road sense and above all having commonsense is the key. If someone do not have these, then even at the age of 50, he will continue to be a bad driver.

Thread Starter #7

well, hmm, I too felt that 18 is fine.[:)]

but don't you think the minimum age of below 100cc/125cc 2-wheelers should be reduced to 16? There are quite number of teens who drive them in a well manner but without license. They actually have the ability to control the vehicle. Just a suggestion! :tongue:

Last edited:

well, hmm, I too felt that 18 is fine.[:)]

but don't you think the minimum age of below 100cc/125cc 2-wheelers should be reduced to 16? There are quite number of teens who drive them in a well manner but without license. They actually have the ability to control the vehicle. Just a suggestion! :tongue:
BTW do these teens wear a helmet while they are drivig these scooters.I think a Suzuki Access shares your garage.Very eager drive it on the public road without worrying police,eh?[:)]

Thread Starter #9
@point city96 - I really don't wanna break the rules but I can't resist myself :tongue:. And I do worry police. Regarding the helmet, its because no one follows. IMO, police should make stricter actions on driving without helmet & driving without attaining the age. I know I do it but I am really against it. [;)] I drive coz other teens of my age tempt me by riding their vehicles. [frustration]

350Z

Core Team
but don't you think the minimum age of below 100cc/125cc 2-wheelers should be reduced to 16?
Presently it is legal to ride a less than 50cc scooter upon attaining 16 Years of age (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-license-ride-scooter-age-16-a.html#post26882).

@point city96 - I really don't wanna break the rules but I can't resist myself. And I do worry police. Regarding the helmet, its because no one follows. IMO, police should make stricter actions on driving without helmet & driving without attaining the age. I know I do it but I am really against it. I drive coz other teens of my age tempt me by riding their vehicles.
Don’t want to sound rude though but it’s not an excuse. Why can’t we start following the rules ourselves rather than demanding from the cops or government to enforce them more stringently? This really makes no sense to me.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Presently it is legal to ride a less than 50cc scooter upon attaining 16 Years of age (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-license-ride-scooter-age-16-a.html#post26882).
Oh. I didn't know that. If that's so, then I am going to take the license once I turn 16 even though I don't ride under 50cc scooters.
Between, is there any scooter less than 50cc? [lol]

Don’t want to sound rude though but it’s not an excuse. Why can’t we start following the rules ourselves rather than demanding from the cops or government to enforce them more stringently? This really makes no sense to me.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Well, I know it. Hardly trying it too. Nowadays, I drive only when there is less traffic & that too just nearby places. Not causing any harms to public!
I myself feel like creating an awareness on this among others [:)]

I think a electric scooter is a much better option in my opinion as students need not fuel their rides with petrol and these electric scooters are greener(see my signature) too.
Yeah. +1.
My friend owns one which doesn't need license. I liked it, can satisfy the needs but on the hills, you will need to get down or the vehicle won't move! [frustration]

Last edited:
I just got the message that a friend of mine in your country lost his life because of an accident in one of his cars. He was a professional running a service between Pune and Mumbai.

I have been driving so far in 19 countries. In none of the countries I drove (except India) as many people die in car accidents per capita. And in no other country the police force is as corrupt and careless as in India.

The people who know me know that I love your country, so nobody should misconstrue my comments.

It was mentioned in one of the comments that a lot of the parents do not care. Well, in Germany the parents do have to care as otherwise they will go to prison alongside their children for serious offences committed. I am German and I support this law 100%.

Parents who do not care have no right to have children!

For the ones who do not obey the laws and in turn kill someone I have only one message: You are no more than murderers. And if your parents do not care then they are no more than accessories to murder.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be super apostle. We all go over the speed limit at times and frankly speaking a lot of the restrictions are outright silly. However, common sense needs to be applied.

Common sense is not related to age rather than humility. And this has to be taught by parents. Parents who do not teach this are a disgrace to their community.

What in my opinion needs controlling and is a major factor to resulting accidents is the attitude of truck drivers and many coach drivers.

Controlling the police force would also be quite easy. Bring in an anti corruption task force that earns their money on success. Low detection rate low income. High detection rate high income.

Changing any law is about as useless as the attempts to lower the alcohol limits in Europe. What is the point to lower the limits if the current limits are not being checked and enforced?

Same goes for the age limit. No training, no making aware of the responsibilities a driver has = no improving of driving standards = more people dying.

Drive Safe,
350Z
i Have seen some good and quite interesting topics as well as useful topics were not properly discussed[anger]

Regarding this one why you are telling like this.
*i want to get a proper reason nothing is mentioned properly.
*Hey iam waiting eagerly to get my licence within a year man[frustration]
*Accidents cannot be reduced unless our people become aware of the rules
*To everyone notice i'm 17 and had driven everywhere with a skill of a driver.
*i have finished my trip to wayanad just 2 months before about 90% my driving.
*There is nothing which you can do with your age limit
*I have seen many drivers who dont even do their driving without the gear shifting gaps [lol]
*so in this case everything depends on persons maturity level.
i agree with 350z

Thread Starter #15

i Have seen some good and quite interesting topics as well as useful topics were not properly discussed[anger]
+1. [clap]

Regarding this one why you are telling like this.
*i want to get a proper reason nothing is mentioned properly.
*Hey iam waiting eagerly to get my licence within a year man
*Accidents cannot be reduced unless our people become aware of the rules
*To everyone notice i'm 17 and had driven everywhere with a skill of a driver.
*i have finished my trip to wayanad just 2 months before about 90% my driving.
*There is nothing which you can do with your age limit
*I have seen many drivers who dont even do their driving without the gear shifting gaps
*so in this case everything depends on persons maturity level.
i agree with 350z
Even I agree to it. It depends completely on the driver's maturity and not the age. Even there are people who are above 22 years who still drive rashly by seeing movies without thinking practically!
I feel that the minimum age for license can be reduced to 16 & allow them to drive below 1000cc vehicles as a precautionary measure in cars and under 110cc for 2-wheelers. [evil]

Top Bottom