Mahindra Xylo E8 Road Test Report

Thread Starter #1
Mahindra Xylo E8 Review Synopsis: Mahindra Xylo E8 price tag is between Rs. 9.47 – 9.98 Lakh (Ex.showroom, Delhi). It officially launched in India in Jan 2009.

• Car Tested: Mahindra Xylo
  • Variant: E8
  • Engine: 2.5l CRDe M-Eagle
  • Gearbox: 5 Speed Manual
  • Fuel Type: Diesel
  • Price INR: 7,96,023 (Ex. Showroom Delhi)
  • Official Website: Click Here

Ingenio, This is what “Xylo” was known as before Mahindra & Mahindra officially unveiled this MUV last year on 13th January. Before the debut, The Xylo was quite a lot in the limelight of media and even after the release, It hasn't lost the charm yet but does this means that era of Sedans is really over? Today, The Automotive India Team picked this car out from the lot to find the right answer, Check it out!

How It Looks?

Since it’s more than an year of Xylo’s release, As a celebration Mahindra has recently rolled out the “Anniversary” Edition which sports a couple of extra features such as Italian Leather upholstery, DVD Player etc and the trim we test driven was top-end E8 (Non-ABS).

Looks of the Xylo are subjective in comparison to other MUVs in same range, It doesn’t have muscular stance as of Sumo Grande nor the pure sophistication like Toyota's Innova but it’s in fact a blend of both. Front of the car looks nice with a chunky grille and headlamps with raised eyebrows, The lowered front bumper has small triangular fog lamps integrated along with sharp grilles. On the side profile, It may take some time for you to digest it due to mixture of hatch and a MUV, A Hatchback because of ultra short hood and MUV is because where it originally belongs, So over-all we’d call love-it or hate-it looks. Also, the tyres look comparatively small especially when viewed from this angle.

However, the rear profile of Xylo is something which made us impressed, unlike most of the common MUVs, Xylo has neatly placed vertical tail lamps of a unique design which makes it stand out from the crowd and rear windshield comes with glass antenna and wash wipes. Additionally, top-of-the line E8 variant offers integrated rear parking sensor which is a useful feature while parking this “Big car” in a congested location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
What's Inside?

This Mahindra is of a modern generation and so is the overall fascia of interiors. If you’re still living with image of bland interiors in this “Made in India” car, throw it right away because the newly designed dashboard of Xylo is attractive and distinctive, with those triangular Air conditioner vents to the classy four spoke steering wheel to the dual din audio system and optional beige interiors, Mahindra Xylo offer a lot for your penny.

In order to maintain the effective pricing M&M has slashed off the few basic aesthetics such as plastic quality which is mediocre. The placement of steering wheel is nicely done but unfortunately it doesn’t offer the mounted audio controls which are a common sight nowadays, even in hatchbacks. The Dual-Din Nippon MP3 player with 4 speakers sounds good and this Air conditioner is powerful enough create chilly environment in whole car, Bonus to that are the separate AC vents allotted to each row, Instrument cluster of Xylo is simple yet sober and thanks to big fonts which allows easy reading during night when fully lit up.

Digital Drive Assist (DDA) feature is a lot of use which helps to keep you well informed about your ride by offering all possible updates like Current Speed, Gear, Mileage, Temperature and Humidity. The fuel tank as well as outside rear view mirrors which are wide enough can be operated by a flick of a button. As being a Multi Utility Vehicle, Mahindra Xylo offers generous space on the inside, Gadget freaks can store anything like a Sony vaio in the glove-box, even the dashboard is sculpted to hold mobile phones etc and a sun-glass holder on the roof is a useful touch.

Second rows of seats are very comfortable and can be folded to form a complete bed! The top-end E8 trim has twin captain seats in 2nd row and 3rd row is a full bench but doesn’t offer as much space as of Sumo Grande MK-II. Middle captain seats offer Fold-able Flight Trays, cup-holders and moreover, all three rows have an individual socket used for charging mobile phone another feature on offer is the under seat storage space, consequently such attributes inside the car makes you feel like traveling in a business class. The boot space of Xylo (7 & 8 seat) is however nothing so great but once the last row is folded down, Xylo exhibits the big cargo area it offers which should be enough for a weekend trip.

Thread Starter #3
How It Moves?

Mahindra Xylo is powered with a 2498cc mEAGLE engine churning out 112bhp from a four cylinder engine with 235Nm of torque. Though, this car is powerful than Innova by 12bhp, it is 8bhp lesser powered when compared to Grande, Engine is silent at stand still & lower revs up to 2000rpm, Anything above 3000rpm will bring in the Honda gene Set live inside the cabin.

The large steering has thick spokes which could be obstructive sometimes in city maneuvering but the feedback it returns is quick and responsive. Gearbox is good which provide positive throttle & response in any of the gear, Slotting in gear is easy and long through gears are back again in the era of slick shift gears.

How It Performs?

Performance of Xylo is not a benchmark in class but it does a decent job and justice for what you pay. Trapezoidal Gear knobs are tough to hold which makes the gear shifts tougher. Engine is more silent than Innova Diesel when in cranked/idle condition

Clutch plates are placed well & very responsive. Slotting into the first gear pulls up 34kmph, which is low compared to the competition; Second gear peaks at 67kmph & third gear makes century + four easily. Pushing forward further with the fourth gear clinches the top speed of 150+ on the DDA.

Xylo manages any speeds up to 150kmph easily & the steering is accurate and speed sensitive but pushing it to 164+ is bit scary as the body roll goes higher. Yes, being taller in proportions, body roll is high in Xylo. Gearing ratios are perfect for city drive & 45kmph in top gear is vibration free. It easily pulls out 100 from 45kmph without a hassle. Suspension setup is purely for the Indian roads, It takes up almost any roads with ease. When it comes to bumpy roads, the third row passenger feels the heat of bumpy ride. Front row & 2nd remains comfortable. Front suspension setup comes with Independent coil spring & rear setup is based on Multi-link coil spring. Turning radius is not that great compared to Grande. Xylo has 5.4mtr turning radius which is 0.2mtr more than Grande. Turbo lag is significant in any diesel car and Xylo is no exception. The M-Eagle engine is pretty responsive & takes life in its own way. You feel a very slight lag under 1750rpm, but when crossed over, Xylo turns into an eagle to breeze away from the crowd. Braking is not really outstanding, but impressive. Breaking is linear & gives a clean stop without much vibration on the steering column or gearbox.

Ground clearance of 186mm makes Xylo the clear winner among the competition where as the Grande & Innova loses by 6mm & 10mm respectively. It is surely a promising car for Indian roads. Tyres of Xylo are high profile all-terrain ones from Bridgestone Dueler and couples in with basic 215/75 R15 size.

Thread Starter #4
The Picture Mania

Above: Front Looks chic but misses the muscular stance.

Below: Extremely small door pockets and cupholder.

Below: Triangular Air-Con vents looks stylish.

Above: Sunglass holder mounted on roof, A useful touch.

Below: This is what you'll need to do to sit on the last row.

Above: 3rd Row too gets the Armrest but a sudden of Pink colored plastic used inside looks odd.

Thread Starter #5
How Safe Is It?

Initially, Mahindra didn’t offered basic safety features but within an year, After minor updates Xylo has yet become one of the safest MUV in segment, Offering a range of safety features like Airbags, ABS, Engine Immobilizer, Reverse parking sensor and Yes, the smart tech. feature reminds you to fasten up the seatbelts if you didn’t.

How Much It Returns?

In packed city traffic with heavier engine, you can’t expect much more than 9-10kmpl though highway drives gives kind figures of about 13-14 kmpl due to taller gearing ratios.

Once could achieve overall mileage of 11.3kmpl, with the tank size of 55 litres Xylo promises 620kmpl in a stretch. Being an Indian car maker, Mahindra better understands the major concern of its car buyers. :smile:

Thread Starter #6
What We Like In Mahindra Xylo? [thumbsup]

• Ultimate Value for Money
  • Luxurious and Feature Rich.
  • Powerful AC with individual vents for each row.
  • Lots of storage space.
  • Adjustable Arm Rest and 12V Socket for all 3 rows
  • Fold able flight-like trays for rear captain seats.

What We Dis-Like In Mahindra Xylo?[thumbsdown]

• Design not to everyone’s taste.
  • Average quality of plastics used inside the car.
  • Third row is not well reclined & not so comfortable.
  • Low boot space when 3 rows in use.
  • Tyres could have been wider & bigger.
The Automotive India Star Ratings

Design -
(3.5/5)

Quality -
(3.5/5)
Comfort Levels -
(4.0/5)
Performance -
(3.5/5)
Ride Quality -
(3.5/5)
Handling -
(3.5/5)
Fuel Efficiency -
(3.5/5)
Safety -
(4/5)
After Sales Service -
(3.5/5)
Value For Money -
(4.5/5)

The Automotive India's Verdict

"The Era Of Sedans is now Over"This is tag line which Mahindra earlier used for the marketing of Xylo for the simple fact that Xylo's targeting customers being one who opt for an entry level sedan, though the Xylo being from a MUV family it couldn't really capture the sales of sedan but undoubtedly showed some magic to the well-established competitors such as Toyota Innova, by long list of bookings with-in the very first month of launch. If you're on a tight budget and require a sensible alternative to Innova, Look no further than the the Xylo which is a perfect feature rich and affordable family vehicle.

Thread Starter #7
Rivals Of Mahindra Xylo E8?

Toyota Innova

Model: G
Price: Rs.8,80,450 (Ex. Showroom)
Engine: 2.5L D4D
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Displacement: 2494cc
Power: 101 BHP
Torque: 200NM
Dimensions:
  • Height: 1755mm
  • Length: 4580mm
  • Width: 1770mm
  • Wheel Base: 2750mm
  • Fuel Tank: 56 Liters

Tata Sumo Grande MK-II

Model: Mark-II GX
Price: Rs. 7,50,000 (Ex. Showroom)
Engine: 2.2 Liter Dicor
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Displacement: 2179cc
Power: 120BHP
Torque: 250NM
Dimensions:
  • Height: 1940mm
  • Length: 4421mm
  • Width: 1780mm
  • Wheel Base: 2550mm
  • Boot Space: 380Liters
  • Fuel Tank: 65 Liters

Thread Starter #8
Variants & Pricing

• E2 > Rs.6,44,022
  • E4 > Rs.6,91,022
  • E6 > Rs.7,61,024
  • E8 > Rs.7,96,023
  • E8 (ABS) > Rs.8,14,023
(* Approx. Ex.Showroom)

Colors Option:
  • Diamond White
  • Toreador Red
  • Gold Shimmer
  • Lucky Lilac
  • Fiery Black
  • Mint Green
  • Java Brown
  • Mist Silver
  • Rocky Beige
  • Black & Silver
  • Mint Green & Rocky Beige

Detailed Specifications

Engine :
- 2.5 Liter M-Eagle

No. Of Cylinders:

Displacement:
- 2498cc

Power:
- 112 BHP @3800 RPM

Torque:
- 208 NM @ 1800-3000 RPM

Transmission :
- 5 Speed Manual

Brakes :

Front
- Discs

Rear
- Drums

Suspension :

Front
Independent

Rear
Multi-Link

Wheels & Tires:
215/75 R15 Alloy Wheels & Tubeless Tires.

Dimensions :

• Length - 4250mm
  • Width - 1850mm
  • Height - 1895mm
  • Wheel Base - 2760mm
  • Kerb Weight - 1750Kgs
  • Ground Clearance: 186mm
  • Fuel Tank Capacity - 55 Liters

Thread Starter #9
From Where To Bring Home a Mahindra Xylo?

Impressed with our Report and Mahindra Xylo? TAI will help you to Locate the Dealers.

New Delhi:
Name: Koncept Automobiles
Address: No. B-2/16, Safdarjung Enclave,

Mumbai:
Name: NBS International
Address: 10-Stone Building ,Opp Chowpatty Sea Face.

Kolkata:
Name: Mohan Motors
Address: 55, Chowringhee Court Road

Chennai:
Name: MPL Automobiles
Address: 107/1, Nelson Manicam Road, Aminjikarai.

Living in some other location? Contact Us and our team will help you to locate a dealer in your area or take advice to choose a right car for yourself. Also, When inquiring from a dealer, Please mention "www. The Automotive India .com" and help us to spread the word.

Once you've bought the car, We're still here for your service, Post your auto-related queries in forums to get the correct answers.

Report Credits:
Road Test & Photography : Adam Aniz (Zinam)
Text & Format: Vibhor Tyagi (350Z)

Note: Article/Pictures can not be reproduced in any form without written permission of The Automotive India's authority. (2008-2010)

Last edited:
Hey great report 350Z and great pictures as usual Zinam!! I knew this report was coming here as Zinam discussed it with me during MRF meet!! Sorry for being tight lipped guys!![:D]

The cabin of the Xylo looks very impressive though the plastic quality is not good still the dash design looks good! Foldable trays , powerful A/C and still many features does good to its reputation! My Safari which is costlier than Xylo still does not have many features which are present in the Xylo!! The FE is also good for a car of this segment and very much identical to my Safari. If they had given the Scorpio like looks to this car then they would have ended up with a great winner. I still feel buyers shy away from this car only due to its bland looks!! Overall a great feature laden car at a very economical price tag! Now i understand why it was awarded the best MUV of the year by many magazines!!

And this car can really do justice to its tag line if it was designed better! A great alternative to the entry level featureless sedans. But people feel its still easy to drive a sedan than a MUV!!

Last edited:
Good report as usual from zinam .

Xylo is the real value for money car , threaten to innova , competition to grande.

I have test driven a car , actually it was a doctors car , he is selling it just driven 600kms.

i'll add mine in short here.
it was a e6
First of the difference was this car was huge , i was climbing up. After adjusting the seat i just looked the roads, i feel i am the king, higher than scorpio i suppose.

Just a crank and the engine came into life. Roaring like a lion. close the door , almost silent , but not the innova. Hmmm may be like the grande.

Gears position were different , slot into one , this rear wheel drive pushes at thrill.
did some cornering and circles at the helipad here.

every other car looked tiny when i am driving , after a long time i experience this.

car was perfect , though occupants may feel its tilting at circles , its all feel . good body roll. perfect enough to give confidence to good drivers.

unlike the innova , the rear too is in high ride position. good feel .

The ac was superb , chills in no time.
The ride was bumpy compared to innova . I didnt check air pressure before taking a drive. May be it must be some psi more.

over all its a good package.

Though some complain about the brake issues , 'some car tilted dur to improper brake , brake parts not avail with the dealers ' i find the car fine in corners too . As already said , i think a batch of cars may have a faulty brake system.

I suppose there will be handling difference between the e8 and e6 as top version run on alloys.

Great and really detailed review of Xylo.

Yes design is not of my taste also, but a great alternative to Innova, for this budget. I have travelled in it and really the middle row space is just great. Anybody can feel the difference of a car and uv.

great review buddy, very very well written too. only if the xylo looked better, it would have helped in the sales.

but you have said in your report-
"Performance of Xylo is not a benchmark in class but it does a decent job and justice for what you pay."

i dont agree to this. infact it is the benchmark.
innova does 0-100 kmph in 17.3 seconds & grande does it in 16.8 seconds whereas the xylo does it in 14.5 seconds. even roll on timings are much better in the xylo.

Top Bottom