Mahindra XUV500: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hi BHVM. I have checked all 4 mounts. I can only see that the one in front by the radiator started to have 2 small tears. What I have noticed is when I had the back one by the fire wall out, Then there was less vibration compare to when I had the other 3 out. I took them one by one out and let the car idle to feel the vibration.

bhvm

Honoured Member
the mounts might be internally damaged or imbalanced, causing odd resonances at certain rpm. it better to get them inspected at ASC.

Mount vibration can lead to premature wear of many associated components, better to replace the same .
I know it costs high , still its the safest thing rather than repenting in future.

Retorquing the new mounts need to be done properly , some ASS , the retorquing won't be proper and that will not be noticeable immediately post installation (Case with my Friend's Fiesta - at 90k km , mount had worn out , engine was holding on one instead of 3 , if I remember well , post installation at 1.2L km , again vibration has started )

Good day
I have a 2012 Mahindra XUV 500 W8 MT. The problem I have is that the gear indicator drops to N while driving, and sometimes corrects and show the gear again. This happens the whole time and when it changes to N the car has no power and lags. I have noticed that when it changes to N and I accelerate hard in second gear it seems to bring the gears back on in the display.
I have had it at several dealers and even contacted head office in South Africa and still not resolved.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Good day
I have a 2012 Mahindra XUV 500 W8 MT. The problem I have is that the gear indicator drops to N while driving, and sometimes corrects and show the gear again. This happens the whole time and when it changes to N the car has no power and lags. I have noticed that when it changes to N and I accelerate hard in second gear it seems to bring the gears back on in the display.
I have had it at several dealers and even contacted head office in South Africa and still not resolved.
Thats a very strange issue. never heard.
Is your car AT or MT?

I have the MT and also took a video of the problem.
HI XUV500SA. I have the same problem with the N. I have a OBD2 scanner and it show a P0501 code. Indicating _ Vehicle speed sensor range/performance. I am taking it on Wednesday and will report back what the solution is.

Hi BHVM. I have checked all 4 mounts. I can only see that the one in front by the radiator started to have 2 small tears. What I have noticed is when I had the back one by the fire wall out, Then there was less vibration compare to when I had the other 3 out. I took them one by one out and let the car idle to feel the vibration.
I have replaced the front and back mounting and the vibration is still there.

HI XUV500SA. I have the same problem with the N. I have a OBD2 scanner and it show a P0501 code. Indicating _ Vehicle speed sensor range/performance. I am taking it on Wednesday and will report back what the solution is.
Hi XUV500gp, I am glad that I not the only one with this problem and not crazy. I would appreciate the feedback. It would help others with the same problem

bhvm

Honoured Member
I wonder what Mahindra technicians are saying in these issues, guys.

@XUV500SA. Is it actually popping out of gear?
And do share the video you have taken.

I wonder what Mahindra technicians are saying in these issues, guys.

@XUV500SA. Is it actually popping out of gear?
And do share the video you have taken.
Hi BHVM, No it is not popping out of gear. In the morning when I start the vehicle the gear indicator works fine R,N,1,2,3,4,5,6. It looks like when the vehicle hits normal working temp the issue starts. It happens in any gear, open road or in traffic that the gear display reverts to N but the car is still in 1,2,3,4,5 or 6th gear and keeps driving but with lag, some times it restores back to the gear you are in and the performance is back to normal. I have noticed that if it is showing N and i pull off from a stop sign and accelerate hard in the revs in second gear it restores but temporary.

I will have to reduce the video size to something I can upload on the site, but working on it

Here is the video link

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
It appears that the sensor that senses which gear is engaged has gone bad, sending wrong signal to the ECU. The lag you experience is some sort of Limp mode (to protect the vehicle). An OBD scan might help.

Hey BHVM, I had the vehicle at 4 different dealers for diagnostics and according to the their computers there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. The OBD you are referring to is that an after market scanner and what type would work on the Mahindra XUV?

bhvm

Honoured Member
You can use any OBD. I am using bluetooth ELM327. But if Dealer level scan tool did not pick up anything, I am doubtful if OBD ELM will pick anything. I wonder if they checked the gear position sensor that I mentioned earlier? It could be just a loose contact or loose connector.

There was a loose wire on the gear position sensor plug but was fixed by auto electrician. Do you think that the sensor got damaged while the wire was faulty?

bhvm

Honoured Member
There was a loose wire on the gear position sensor plug but was fixed by auto electrician. Do you think that the sensor got damaged while the wire was faulty?
1. Was the wire dangling loose or touching anything? Since entire body of vehicle is ground, its possible that this wire (Assuming it carries a signal or voltage) was shorted, hence killed the sensor.

2. Wiring polairity is wrong when repairing.

Top Bottom