Mahindra XUV500 "Speed" Accessory Alloys Break: Quality Compromise?

Re: Mahindra XUV500 Alloys Break: Quality Compromise?

So you mean to say , since problems arises in expensive vehicles , smaller less expensive cars haiving problem is no big deal ? Next time you should say you don't have a good car , you should not report it.

This is just a discussion. And it's good that mahindra replied to the customer who reported this and there should be an explanation as well which i hope mahindra gives soon.
You should read my first lines and you can understand what I mean is, No further explanation is needed.

I have a bit of trouble understanding the part where Mahindra says "since this is an accessory and not factory fitted". Were the alloy wheels fitted as part of standard spec or an optional accessory by the car owner? If it is the former, then Mahindra cannot wash their hands off the problem like this and relegate it to the alloy OEM. The Alloy design is as per Mahindra spec, so Mahindra should be bloody well responsible and accountable (RACI[;)]) . Tomorrow, if there is a control surface failure on a Boeing 737, who would take the responsibility ? Boeing or a tier-2 supplier of flaps/elevators?
Heck, Boeing was roasted over the coals because of Dreamliner battery problems (batteries produced by Yuasa of Japan)

I did read that , no need to read it again. I replied to what you said after.
I am not going into this discussion of being right or wrong. what I wrote in first line is my thought and rest is the discussion.
and we both are free to express views.. No offense!

I have a bit of trouble understanding the part where Mahindra says "since this is an accessory and not factory fitted". Were the alloy wheels fitted as part of standard spec or an optional accessory by the car owner? If it is the former, then Mahindra cannot wash their hands off the problem like this and relegate it to the alloy OEM.
The alloys were not OE, they were an optional accessory.

This is the precise reason I reacted on the first post of this thread as it very vaguely mentions just "alloys of XUV" without clearly stating that the accessory wheels have the issue and not the OW wheels which come on the W8. Readers are bound to get confused.

The alloys were not OE, they were an optional accessory.

This is the precise reason I reacted on the first post of this thread as it very vaguely mentions just "alloys of XUV" without clearly stating that the accessory wheels have the issue and not the OW wheels which come on the W8. Readers are bound to get confused.
You are right, Title should be edited,
Dear Mr. Moderator, Is it possible to change thread title to avoid confusion?
- Jignesh

Time and again, incidents prove that alloys arent reliable on our roads especially built, definitely not for the people, but by the people, and maintained with people's money. [frustration][frustration][frustration]

Breaking from the center is totally unacceptable. Good that nobody was injured (people inside, nor outside the vehicle).

Common cases are chipping off at the edges, or internal cracks, which make some kind of irritating rattle when driven around with the internal crack.

Both was experience, and the later, was experienced hands-on with the Alloys which we had put on Getz, ran for about 3-4 years, of which almost a year would be with the sound, which we thought was from bearing. But later realized it was one of the alloys internal crack problem, and we switched back to the OEM rims. The sound just vanished the moment rims were back. Luckily, nothing catastrophic happened (Touchwood).

On a serious note, doesnt the flower design spokes look a tad thinner, than what it should have been? Especially for a full blown SUV weight?

Last edited:
Alloys, Accessory or OEM, breaking at the hub is shocking. But the circumference one is understandable.

BUT. CORRECT ME IF WRONG.

Alloys are supposed to break and not bend. Steel rims bend on hard impact. BUT alloys stay intact. But when higher load is applied, alloys break. SO the one with the circumference damage is likely to be caused by hitting the pothole at a considerably high speed. Specially on the concrete roads.

I"m shocked to see this incident and I wish to all the XUV 5oo owners who opted for flower alloys, may god keep you safe.

If this issue had occurred in western countries, it would be more serious and the brand would have already started to provide replacements for all the owners. i.e Just like what is happening with Takata airbags.

Just look at the flower alloys design. It does look nice but do you really think its strong enough to carry the vehicle? That too an SUV? It broke because it cannot withstand the weight of the vehicle or the material used is not capable of.

I say; There is nothing to investigate and it doesn't help to the buyers of alloys. Instead, Mahindra should provide replacement alloys.

If this issue had occurred in western countries, it would be more serious and the brand would have already started to provide replacements for all the owners.
Really ?
You might want to learn a bit more here. BMW Cracked Rim Investigation

It broke because it cannot withstand the weight of the vehicle or the material used is not capable of.
Woh !!
Please provide the 'failure analysis' report as well.

I say; There is nothing to investigate and it doesn't help to the buyers of alloys. Instead, Mahindra should provide replacement alloys.
Definitely yes, but only after ruling out sign of any impact damage on the broken samples of alloys.

Having said that, I strongly believe that we need in our country an independent authority/ watchdog working towards protecting consumer rights. They would listen to customer complaints and being the authorized watchdog, would carry out independent investigations and make the manufacturers consider safety recalls, if need be.

Really ?
You might want to learn a bit more here. BMW Cracked Rim Investigation
I guess you had personally faced crack issues with BMW's 19" alloy wheels, if so I'm really sorry to hear that BMW couldn't help.

But there are many other international brands who had made recalls due to defective alloys. i.e Kia, Nissan and etc

And do you really think brands in India really care about safety of people? It feels so bad to see the recent report of NCAP safety test of Indian hatchback cars.

Woh !!
Please provide the 'failure analysis' report as well.
If I had faced that issue, I would definitely provide but do the brand really care? They just say to contact customer support which is just a call center!

Having said that, I strongly believe that we need in our country an independent authority/ watchdog working towards protecting consumer rights. They would listen to customer complaints and being the authorized watchdog, would carry out independent investigations and make the manufacturers consider safety recalls, if need be.
Do you think that would really work in India?

Last edited:
My xuv is also running on the same speed alloys. I asked Mahindra about the breaking of the alloy and the person in charge said that he has seen it as well and it must be due to rash driving or else the alloy would not break. He even said that it is not manufacturing defect and I should not worry and drive care free. There is no quality compromise or negligence from the side of Mahindra. The speed alloy has passed all the test. But I am still worried. I still have not drove my xuv. I am thinking of selling the alloys and getting a new set, can't risk my precious life. These speed rim alloys ain't letting me live young live free.

UPDATE:

One customer updated this -

Good that at least Mahindra in Chennai has started recalling the XUV's with the speed alloys to change them with a new batch of speed alloys.

According to My relationship manager , they have started this recall process from last Friday it seems. I got mine changed today

UPDATE:

Good that at least Mahindra in Chennai has started recalling the XUV's with the speed alloys to change them with a new batch of speed alloys.

According to My relationship manager , they have started this recall process from last Friday it seems. I got mine changed today
I knew this will come some day.

This means Mahindra accepts that they made this life threatening mistake! They deserve an applause for this bold decision though.[clap] Way to go Mahindra, this recall is going to make us more confident about you.

UPDATE:

From where did you get this information? Is this really true?

Last edited:

Top Bottom