Mahindra XUV500: Sound Change & Damping Sheet

Thread Starter #1
It was really long pending for my XUV and finally I managed to change my XUV-500 (new age) 4 sounds and getting more than expected result.

6 months back I was on outing with my friends and they were complaining about XUV’s sound are seem really basic (though I have W10 variant). I was quite curious and nervous too, to change anything in XUV, (touchwood) my XUV is niggle free till now.

In last couple of month I tried to search XUV owners who changed their XUV sounds but no luck in that. I contacted my Sales guys (Silver Jubilee Motors – Pune) too but as per them for new vehicle they have not received any change of sound request. Later, I contacted my service engineer and keep checking with their other customers for anyone is already opted sound change option. Unfortunately, no luck in this too.

Finally, I decided to visit private Car Accessories shop across Pune and started collecting more information about latest sound, its brand and XUV owners who opted this. Almost, many of them were telling me that they had lots of XUV for same sound change and it was really successful for them without tampering anything. But, no one is provided me their contact details.

Meanwhile in all this process, I come to know that FOCAL and HERTZ are good and standard brand for car sounds. Both are imported from USA and Italy respectively.

Fortunately, at one of accessories shop I found one old City Honda was installing HERTZ sounds in it and I waited to get demo (before and after installation) and it was really impressive about the quality of it.

Though FOCAL is really costly than HERTZ and as I already had live installation demo and its final output for same so I already opted HERTZ system for my XUV.

• Front door Sounds :=> Hertz ESK 165L.5 Two way system 14390/- MRP

• Rear door Sounds :=> Hertz ECX 165.5 Two way coaxial 7990/- MRP

But still I was not sure which accessories centre should I choose? As I was very keen for newly manufactured and genuine sounds. So I contacted HERTZ sounds Indian importer in Haryana - Orix Hi Fidelity and they provided me their regional Sales manager number by the name of Mr. Pande.

It was nice to talk with Mr. Pande in detail and he explained me pretty well about those sounds and its other variant too. He suggested me couple of genuine HERTZ accessories vendor from Pune. I called them up and checked with their availability of those sounds and its manufacturing date. Finally I opted Bafna Cars from Shivaji Nagar – Pune.

Mr. Dinesh (Owner of Bafna Cars) explained me about all things about HERTZ and FOCAL, and it was quite relevant to my gathered knowledge. And he assured me that it will be really simple and easy to switch sounds without tampering anything.

After discussing with him about rates he offered me 26% discounts on MRP of above two HERTZ sounds and I opted those.

Here, he shows me and explained me about DAMPING sheet. Honestly, I have not planned for this but Mr. Dinesh told me that I can go for lower brand of sounds but should opt this Damping sheet because it’s Anti Vibration ( for doors ), noise isolation and heat isolation. It will be game changer for any of sound system.

I immediately checked on Youtube and found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl-4sJ_1wTI for same and decided to go for this. And my work has been started on same day itself.
[thumbsup]

1-min.jpg

2-min.jpg

Company fitted plastic might be Damping plastic sheet. [;)]
3-min.jpg

Now I can see both side of Steel of the car
4-min.jpg

This is our XUV default sounds, NIPPON.

They started to open all 4 door panel first and then they will start installation of damping sheet and then new sounds.
5-min.jpg 6.-min.jpg

Left side doors are done.
7.-min.jpg

Right side rear door
8-min.jpg 7-min.jpg

Right side front too
9.1-min.jpg 9-min.jpg

All 4 door are open and naked now. I was happy that there is not too much wires exists and which are exists those were properly intact with other. So chance to mess up with them Thanks to Mahindra. [:)]

Here we goo..

• HERTZ ESK 165.L 300 W – Front Door speakers 10-min.jpg

• HERTZ ECX 165.5 210 W – Rear Door speakers 11-min.jpg

It’s time for Damping sheet installation. Every sheet is pretty thick and might be weight around 2-2.5 kg. It was too sticky too from one side and silver foiled from other side.
12-min.jpg

Left Front Door – Inner sider sheet installation done.
13-min.jpg 14-min.jpg

Now it’s outside part
15-min.jpg

Finally first front sound getting installed.
16-min.jpg

It’s took almost 3.5 hours, 9 Sheet for 4 doors and around ~25K for all stuff.

After fitting of this I found lots of noticeable changes in XUV.
  • Outside noises are 98% vanish. Absolutely can’t hear anything from outside.
  • Though, now you can listen good and crystal music.
  • Sounds are simply rocking as compared to default one.
  • Each door has loaded with extra ~4-5kg weight so found there is no vibration in door steel, which is highly noticeable. Really happy for this damping sheet.
  • Finally, HERTZ , now I can say it’s PURE music which I can listen in my XUV.

It was really worth to change sounds and adding damping sheet in car. Using this since last 5 days and can’t believe in ears for same songs playing before and after all this. Simply superb.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: XUV-500 New Age - Sound Change and Damping Sheet

it takes some guts to rip out xuv audio and upgrade. congrats.

any drilling or cutting was required?
did he install spacer rings ?

Thread Starter #3

it takes some guts to rip out xuv audio and upgrade. congrats.

any drilling or cutting was required?
did he install spacer rings ?
Yeah, I crossed my fingered while its work going on.

No cutting or drilling required. Original sound wire was joined via Soldering. So need to cut those wire from sound and added simple plug-n-play clip to it.

Yeah, it was get directly installed in current ring. No need of any extra thing.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Subscribing your thread and keeping it saved in case.
Its amazing you could install speakers without requiring rings or drilling. Impressive!
Does the system project chest thumping bass?

Thread Starter #5

Subscribing your thread and keeping it saved in case.
Its amazing you could install speakers without requiring rings or drilling. Impressive!
Does the system project chest thumping bass?
Not as of now, but have already in mind. Bafna motors shown me FOCAL Bass which is very small in size and superior in quality. It's mrp is 35K and it will be available ~22K.

Lets see how it goes.

Thread Starter #8
Subscribed to your thread. May come handy if I buy XUV5OO in future.
Sure, XUV will be strong contender in your future list. It's simply VFM suv in all manners.

Cheers

here we goo.. Focal Integration Ibus 20 Underseat Powered 8" Subwoofer | eBay

Above FOCAL pattern is 100% same which I saw, not sure about model.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
thanks for this thread. i recently bought an elantra and was thinking to shift ICE setup from my verna to the elantra and then after looking at your thread i started searching for damping sheets available in india.
it does make a difference according to various youtube videos. i saw this cheaper solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6GOTybE1U

but many guys in the comments started saying asphalt ratio is high and the car will probably smell on hot days.
according to this, damping sheets are made of synthetic rubber polymer and asphalt(filler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwG5DCjNxbM
so all the cheap alternatives contain more of asphalt and should be avoided.
and i think the best one in the market is dynamat which is a little expensive. then came across this Premium Car Damping - DampMat

and according to the specifications
High-temperature butyl adhesive
Higher rubber content – Less filler content = better performance
so i just wanted to know which brand's sheet you chose and what's the composition ratio ? and to others if dampmat is good or not ? my car is parked under the sun so i am reluctant to go for any type of sheets just because of the smell.

Last edited:
Sure, XUV will be strong contender in your future list. It's simply VFM suv in all manners.

Cheers
Yes XUV5OO is VFM product in this price bracket. I am a big fan of SCORPIO but at the cost Mahindra selling SCORPIO is too high so that makes XUV5OO best option till 20 lakhs category.

Another thing I would love to suggest to you is If possible paint the alloys in Black OR Gunmetal/grey color because they will look fabulous on sunset orange XUV5OO.[clap]

Thanks @Atulamigo. Indeed a very encouraging post. It takes courage to to rip off the stock settings.

While @bhvm has already asked the questions I wanted to ask and you have answered them too. I have few additional questions.

Did you ask Bafna guys how to increase bass? The stock system does huge injustice with bass.
As you have not fiddled with original setup, I believe it would not void warranty.
Also I have observed that FM sounds better than USB in my XUV. Yet to explore it more. But wanted to know your opinion.

Thread Starter #14
Buddy the focal stuff costs 27k. But It will be great for Non-DIY type person.
I made under 10k[clap].
Yes BHVM, SIZE is my main concern for this. Focal sub-woofer is hardly 4 inch in height and it can be easily fitted under any seat.

We know that we are running out of space in XUV for sub-woofer :P

but many guys in the comments started saying asphalt ratio is high and the car will probably smell on hot days.
Hey AHC, nice to see your more brief about it. I always keen to search more like you but it was last minute and on spot decision to go for this. I think in last couple of week we had very HOT days in Pune and I haven't smell anything yet. It might smell if your car is full day parked in direct sun-light. But thanks for sharing.

Last week I had long run ( ~740 km in 2 days ) and my car was under sun-light and running state. But really didn't smell anything.

so i just wanted to know which brand's sheet you chose and what's the composition ratio ? and to others if dampmat is good or not ? my car is parked under the sun so i am reluctant to go for any type of sheets just because of the smell.
Totally agree with you, this is very important and basic stuff to know more about which BRAND. But, dealer had only one brand sheet and he quoted me ~1250/- per sheet after some discussion he agreed and told me that he bought it for 850 and can go not less than 1K for per sheet.

Looking at my own Photo and I found it's DHC PRO and after google found it's BRANDED [clap] DHC Exclusive Car Accessories

So about noise isolation it works absolutely fine and didn't smell yet to me in this summer days. Lets see how it goes ahead.

Another thing I would love to suggest to you is If possible paint the alloys in Black OR Gunmetal/grey color because they will look fabulous on sunset orange XUV5OO.[clap]
Never think of this. If you have seen any ORANGE XUV with it then please share it's pic.

Did you ask Bafna guys how to increase bass? The stock system does huge injustice with bass.
Yes, stock system BASS is really worse which we have. HERTZ sound's are pretty impressive about on BASS too.

Also I have observed that FM sounds better than USB in my XUV. Yet to explore it more. But wanted to know your opinion.
Yes, no tampering anyhow. Good to go with existing warranty. In Pune we have only 104.2 radio band which is play songs almost same quality of 320KBS. But now, I can hear really good music from HERTZ with USB and Radio too ( same music played before and after installation ). I can easily say it's worth to change the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never think of this. If you have seen any ORANGE XUV with it then please share it's pic.
No not yet. Thats my imagination. [:D]

Attaching some pics of white New Age XUV5OO with Black/Gunmetal stock alloys. Looking superb[clap].

Pics are taken from Team-Bhp & TAI.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom