Mahindra XUV500 Diaries

Thread Starter #31
Thread Starter #32
Ok, in the trip update I mentioned that I was having trouble with the horn/battery. The issue was when I press the horn simultaneously with the brakes, the horn went all cracked up and sounded weird. When I checked the battery, the indicator on the battery showed that it needed charging (though we were on 8 hour plus drives through the trip).
I took the car to Anant Cars and got the battery tested. It had gone bad. The electrical guy (supposedly the senior most electrician) said that this could be due to the "extra fog lamps" that were fitted. Though most of our drive was through the daytime and the fogs were very rarely used, this totally floored me. I did get the battery changed (OEM was Exide and the replacement was an Amaron).
Anyone else faced anything similar?
Also, while at the dealer/service center, I got the brakes looked at and found the front brake pads nearly at their end (15,000 kms). I was told the front brake pads usually last for about 18,000 kms. Got them replaced as well.

Thread Starter #33
TAI-ians, anyone have a rough guide to the longevity of parts on the XUV?
Maybe not a full list, but what we all have seen in the course of our ownerships?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Clutch Plate- 60k and counting.
Tyres- 60k and now upgraded. Could have done 7~10k more.
Rear Brakes- 60k & Counting!
Front Brakes- Replaced once in 60k.

Problem areas-
Clutch Cylinders
Headlight Bulbs or LEDs
Infotainment
Security Hooter
AC Blower/ Gas/ Exchanger
Power window motors
Reverse Camera.
Interior LED lights (lamps)

Thread Starter #35
Wishing all TAI-ians a very Happy and Prosperous New Year in 2017![clap]
I just ended 2016 with a nice week long family trip. Went into the hills of Kudaremukha, Karnataka and also some off-roading around the hills near Birur, Karnataka. The kids loved it and the wife endured. [;)]
The XUV held up well to the off-roading with a full family inside. Got to test out the OBD2 system with the Torque app (Android). While it worked well most of the time, there were times that the app just refused pair with the BT OBD2 module.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36
Hi All,
Has any had any experience in setting up a dual battery system (with battery isolator & monitor)?
Also, any idea what the Alternator specifications (charge current max) for the XUV (2014 model) is?
Thanks in advance!

Thread Starter #37
Long trip preparation

By Iqbal Khuraishi.

List is tuned for Mahindra XUV500, but can be adapted for most other vehicles.

Recently I had a couple of my friends ask me what to do to prepare for a long road trip (they are not new to travelling, mind you) and what to take and how to prep themselves and their vehicles.

So, I just put this list down to help them out.

Pre-Plan!

Routes, Facilities & Stay

Research your route(s) well in advance. Ask around to find out the road conditions, safety issues and facilities available along those routes and any alternative routes that people may suggest for that time of the year.
Book your hotels well in advance with confirmation. No point going there and finding out that you do not have a place to stay. Ask your hotel contact too for advise on road and weather conditions.
Review what the weather will be like for the time you are planning. Plan your wardrobe accordingly. Do not carry too many clothes. Plan to layer them to get better insulation and keep warm (ex: under shirt+t+shirt+sweatshirt+jacket). Don’t forget your feet and hands too – shoes & gloves – based on the weather. Carry a couple of umbrellas – even if it is not meant to rain, you may need it to shield from the sun.
As you ask around for the facilities along the routes, mark/pick out places for rest stops, food and fueling up. While Google is a good starting point, it is not perfect, so ask around with people who have traveled those routes recently.

As you plan the routes, make sure that you give a good margin on the fuel consumption and plan to fuel up at major cities and/or towns.

Check and see if there are tolls along these routes and have FasTag setup and cash balance loaded. And have spare cash to use as there are times when the systems fail. Also, check to see if there are any state road taxes that are required to enter. (TransportGuru.in : Trip Cost from Cities,Travel Cost Between Cities,Toll Rates Between Cities,Toll Cost From Cities,Diesel Price in India,Petrol Price in India,Online Truck Booking,travel in india,road trip,route planner, trip planner,route finder or Tollbetween.com : Toll Charges between Cities, Driving Cost between Cities, Toll Rates on Indian Highways, Petrol Rate in India, Diesel Rate in India)
Prepare a list of emergency numbers for Police, ambulance and rescue to use along the route. Also, list out service centers along your route in case you need to get your vehicle serviced/repaired.
Check to see if your cell service provider covers all the places you are travelling through and if needed plan to use roaming or prepaid sims that work in that region.

Self/passengers

Get a full medical check up done. Get fresh prescriptions for any medications you are on. Do this at least a couple of weeks before the trip. You really do not want any change in medications to affect you when on the road. Have your medical insurance topped to include road accident/hospitalization coverage, if it doesn’t already. Also, have a list of hospitals along your route that your medical insurance recognizes/works with.
If you need travel documents (permits, passport/visa, etc.) get those checked out well in advance.

Vehicle(s)

Keep several copies of your driver’s license (for each of the drivers), vehicle registration, tax certificates, pollution check certificate, vehicle insurance and store your originals in a safe place in the vehicle. And keep a hand full of passport size & stamp size photos handy (both printed and soft copies).
Get a full service done on your vehicle at least 2 weeks prior to the trip

Vehicle Check
  • Brakes
  • Lights/electricals
  • Fluids
    • Engine oil (carry spare)
    • Gearbox oil
    • Differential Oil
    • Coolant (carry spare)
    • Windshield Wiper Washer fluid (carry spare)
  • Check tire condition – all 5 tires
  • Check pressure (fill nitrogen if possible)
  • Wheel alignment & rotation (between 1 and 2 weeks prior to the trip)
  • Windshield Wipers (replace with new heavy-duty ones & carry a spare set)
  • Battery (replace with a new one if the battery is older than 4 years). Recommend Amaron.
  • Do a physical inspection of your front windshield. If there are any crack (ANY CRACKS) or any major stone hit marks or major scratches (especially on the driver side) then consider replacing the windshield
  • If you need to renew your RSA, get that done too.
What to Carry
Accessories Recommended
Good to have, but not must
  • LED Lightbar (recommend) – I have the 41.5” FyrFly
  • Dashcam (recommend) with spare memory cards.
  • Bottle Jack (3 to 4 ton capacity)
  • Tow Rope (heavy duty) with hooks. Check to see that it fits your vehicle and learn how to safely use it.
  • Spare flash light batteries. Check what type your torch/flashlight uses.
  • Spare basic cellphone (in case your smart one fails/breaks!)
  • Spare phone chargers (both AC & 12V Car type) & cables (check if you need Type C or Micro USB or both)
  • Phone holders (I have)
  • Battery jumper cables (in case your battery does go flat!)
  • Inverter (to charge your camera batteries or laptops) with a good quality power strip. Check to see what capacity you need and what your vehicle’s electrical system can handle.
    • Get the inverter fixed (screws/nut & bolt) from a reputable car electrician at least a month prior to the trip and test it out
    • Ensure that a heavy gauge wire is used to connect the inverter directly to the batter via a fuse (30A) with a safety cut out switch (to switch the inverter off when you do not really need it.
  • Luggage tie down nets (cargo nets). This is to stop your luggage from flying around in case of any mishap (rollover, spin, etc) or emergency stops, you do not really want to have a loose 15 plus kilo “cannonball” come hit you or you passengers when you hit the brakes from 100+kmph!
    • Will require fixing tie down points on the interior
    • In keeping with this, please do not have loose bottles and/or cans or bags lying around the cabin space/floor/seats. Secure them with rope or bungee cords.
  • A tarpaulin or picnic mats. In case your passengers need to rest on the road side while your change tire or attend to a minor fault on the vehicle. Or to just plain eat!
  • Car fuel logging app (I use Fuelio) with cloud backup
  • Your car manufacturer’s service app (WithYouHamesha). Will help locate nearest service centers, call emergency roadside assistance (RSA) and do some basic troubleshooting.
  • Navigation:
    • Google Maps with the area I am visiting downloaded to offline use
    • Any other offline map/navigation app – like MapsMe, Sygic, etc.
Other tips
  • Rotate driving duties at least every 2 hours during the day and every hour if at night.
  • Take regular breaks (at least once every 90 minutes)
  • Try to avoid night driving, especially late night.
  • If it is raining or is foggy
    • Ensure to have your fog lights on (and your blinkers/hazard lights)
    • Slow down to at least half the specified speed limit for that stretch. If you are not aware of the speed limit, then drop down to around 30 to 40 kmph. Better safe than sorry. It is ok to be late and in one piece.
    • Double the distance between you and the vehicle up front. You will need it as braking in slippery conditions is worst than when dry (same for loose mud, gravel/pebbles, or worst sand!)
  • Have a navigator (read maps, directions, speed limits, and look out for other dangers on the road). More so when you have bad weather. And practice with your navigator beforehand. No shouting, Mr. Navigator. No point giving the driver a heart attack! The instructions need to be clear, audible, and calm.
  • Keep a log of events. Like start/arrival time and Odo readings from/to way points, breaks, fuel stops, etc. Use an app or pen/paper, whatever you are comfortable with. But keep one. It will come in handy when you have to advise others! Or, tell the cops in case of a bad situation.
  • Be on the look out for animals and people crossing roads at all times. This is India. And do not argue. Stay calm. More so when travelling through hills, rural areas and forests or in bad weather.
  • Stay hydrated (NOT the alcoholic ones). Use reusable water bottles and plates & cutlery. Keep Coffee to a minimum. Tea is better than Coffee, but that too restrict to 2 or 3 cups a day. Drink plain milk (or with supplements) instead. Oh, stop and drink, driver! Don’t try to drink and drive!
  • Get a good sound sleep every day (at least 7 to 8 hours)
  • Eat at regular intervals, avoid overly spicy & oily food. Stay with known items. New food items may sound exciting, but if they cause issues (stomach upsets, allergies, etc.) then you will be in trouble.
  • Avoid sleep/anti-depressant meds (CHECK with your doc first!)
  • Exercise regularly (even if you do not do that currently!)
  • Do not wait till the fuel tank is nearly empty to fill up. Full up at the larger cities/towns as the fuel quality tend to be better there. Also, the fuel near the bottom will have sedimentation, so it may clog your fuel lines up, especially with a vehicle that is more than a few months old. Older the vehicle, more the sedimentation.
  • Check for requirements for crossing state borders. Some states may not allow certain items to be carried in or out (meats, liquor, etc) above certain quantities. International border states may have further/other restrictions.
  • Carry additional drinking water (3 lts per person) and clean tap water (5lts?) (for washing hands, face, wounds, and use in the radiator for an emergency).
  • Tissues/towels/napkins, keep them handy.
  • And, you may hate me for this, but keep a few plastic bags (medium small size) in case someone has a bout of nausea or to put your trash into (yes, don’t just throw the trash out the window!). Then dispose off the used plastic bag safely into a trash can at the next stop or hotel.
  • Carry fabric bags for shopping.
  • Take Fruits & snacks (items with less salt & sugar)
  • Carry cash in a safe and non-apparent manner. No fat wallets. Distribute your cash to 4 or 5 different places (jacket, shirt, pant, hidden belt pockets, shoes…).
  • When stepping out of the vehicles, be on the look out for bandits!
    • Yes, both the human and the non-human kind! The human kind is harder to spot! Monkeys may slip in pretty fast so, you do need to be careful.
    • Close ALL the windows before turning of the ignition. I’ve had times when I’ve forgotten and left the window open. That is an invitation for trouble.
    • Don’t leave food on top of the vehicle either.
    • Ensure that any valuable items are not visible through the glass/windows. Throw a towel, jacket or something on top of them if you have to leave them on the seats.
    • If you are leaving laptops, cameras or other electronic items in the vehicle, as mentioned above, cover them and please park in the shade. They do not take too kindly to being solar cooked! Same goes for small kids (Hint, take them with you)!
Ok, this is longer than what I expected it to be. Happy travels, all! Be Safe, Be Mindful, Be Helpful, Be Kind, Be Calm and come back home in one healthy piece!

Last edited:

Top Bottom