Mahindra XUV500 Diaries

Thread Starter #16
Ok, here goes:

The DVR unboxing:
The package contained the DVR, mounting clamp, 12v power chord, USB cable for connecting to a comp and a owners manual (very basic and brief, though [roll]).

Installation:
The DVR got fixed just behind the rearview mirror with the suction cup clamp. The wiring for the power chord got taken from the cigarette lighter adapter wiring internally, running the cables from under the center console, to the left side under the glove box and then up the A pillar inner cladding to under the roof-liner.

While I was getting this done, I asked the electrician to install a 1-to-3 12v adapter/spliter inside the top storage box (where the GPS USB port for updates is located). This will ensure that there is no messy wiring running around the cabin that not only looks awful but also can be a hazard as hands and snare and pull the cables when we are attempting to operate the controls on the center console. [:)]

A 2 minute clip is here (uploaded on my Youtube account), as a sample of the output. I converted the MOV format file with the audio muted (was with family and do not wish to have family chit chat broadcast [;)]).

Attachments

Congratulation on your Black Mammoth. [;)]

Hope to see the thread live and updated.

Well how good is the Dash cam ? I'm seriously looking for one and getting confused with the models and all. Kindly share the review of this product ! [:)]

Thread Starter #18
Congratulation on your Black Mammoth. [;)]

Hope to see the thread live and updated.

Well how good is the Dash cam ? I'm seriously looking for one and getting confused with the models and all. Kindly share the review of this product ! [:)]
Thanks for the wishes, Vishnu.

The DVR is pretty good. Let me list some of the features of this one.
1. Dual camera (I've installed only one and the other I'll do so after sometime). The 2nd cam can be mounted per one's wish, but usually people would have the 2nd one as a reverse facing one.
2. HD (720p) recording of both streams, with audio. Low light recording is fairly ok. You have a choice of recording the clips in a series of either 2 minute or 5 min slots.
3. PIP - Picture-in-picture - to show both the streams at once on the screen.
4. Lithium battery that gets charged by the 12v output. Can be run for 5 to 10 minutes without the 12v charging power as handheld, too.
5. Can take still pictures as well.
6. Motion sensor - park with this feature and it takes snapshots when something (or someone) in front of the cam moves. This does drain the battery, though!
7. Has a slot for micro-SD card (upto 32GB, Class 6 or better).
8. Looped recording - if the memory card is full, it automatically deletes the oldest to add new.
9. In the event of a crash (sudden jerking) it can save the last 10sec and the next 10sec into a locked file. The idea is that this can then be "tamper-proof" and be used as evidence. The file cannot be deleted in the normal way, you'll need to format the whole card to remove it.
10. And the best for the last, it auto records. So, when you turn the ignition key on, the cam starts automatically recording.

I got this from eBay - HD 720P Dual Video Camcorder CAR DVR Separate Front Rear Camera TV AV OUT | eBay.
I also found this link that gives some info on the features.

Hope that this helps. [:)]

After seeing this,i am seriously looking for one for my Innova.These big vehicles definitely requires these cams,especially a reverse cam.
Sir,can you say why you go for this specific brand?
What about the length of reverse cam cable?Does it require cable extension for rear mounting?Does it automatically switch to reverse cam mode when reversing?

Anyway, a nice addition to your xuv.

Thread Starter #20
Hari, if what you are looking for is a reverse cam, then I'd not suggest this one. For starters, it is a 3.5 in screen and the 2nd cam (reverse) will appear as a smaller PIP frame. This is will not be easy to use in that format.

The 2nd cam comes with a 5.9 mt cable and a power (12v) plugin cable that is about a foot long. The power cable will need to be extended and in theory can be rigged to act as reverse cam by connecting to the reverse lights. The mount of the cam itself is a suction cup type, so if your rear window has defogger elements then it won't fix properly.

I chose this particular model as it suits my needs - using it to log my travels rather than as a reverse utility. My XUV already has a reverse cam fitted, any ways.

Thread Starter #21
1845kms: Air con issues. Both the blower and the air con conked off. At Anant Cars now. Initial diag to be a fuse blown. This happened on our way back from one our short weekend family visits.
Will add more as I learn more on this and what was done to resolve.

Thread Starter #22
1845kms: Air con issues. Both the blower and the air con conked off. At Anant Cars now. Initial diag to be a fuse blown. This happened on our way back from one our short weekend family visits.
Will add more as I learn more on this and what was done to resolve.
Ok, they confirm this to be due to "carbon blockage" on the blower motor. They are replacing it. I've asked why this has occurred in under 2k kms. Auto electricals don't fail that often and easily (or rather are not supposed to!).

bhvm

Honoured Member
Ok, they confirm this to be due to "carbon blockage" on the blower motor. They are replacing it. I've asked why this has occurred in under 2k kms. Auto electricals don't fail that often and easily (or rather are not supposed to!).
that's sad to know Iqbal bhai.
xuv seems to have a lot of teething troubles in the early age and we aren't sure of later life.

do keep us posted.

Thread Starter #24
Thanks BHVM.

Sorry all, for the prolonged absence. Was out of country.

Ok, so the issue that the service advisor said was that some carbon deposits (???) got lodged near the brushes and caused the motor to malfunction. They have now replace the whole motor. I have asked them to come back to as to how those "carbon particles" happened to get where they did.

Will update as I hear from them.

Thread Starter #25
Hi TAI-ians, I am planning a round trip to Goa from Bangalore. Thinking of taking the Bangalore-Agumbe-Kundapur-Karwar-Goa route. Any inputs from anyone who may have taken this route recently on the condition of the ghat road through Agumbe? Any advice would be good.
The Black Chariot (yes, that is what I am finally calling my XUV) has done 13k plus. Had only minor issues.
Just last week I discovered a crack in the windshield (lower center section). I had not taken the car out for a week, so not sure how that occurred, but it doesn't seem to be spreading.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Better get the windshield replaced under insurance. It may not be spreading but you never know when these things betray.

Anyone with any feedback on the Bangalore Goa route via Agumbe-Kundapur?
Hi iqbal, after some time. Keep updating the ownership experience.

I am also looking forward for another exploration in this route. Wish to visit Goa and Pune.
Why not write your experience under Travelogue?

Anyway, thanks and keep updating.

Top Bottom