Mahindra XUV or Any Other SUV / MUV?

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI.

Thankyou all for accepting me as your new member, I am starting this thread to sort out my confusion on choosing a new ride.

CURRENT RIDE- Maruti Swift (VXI) ABS (2009 model)
KILOMETER RUN ON DAILY BASIS -30 Kms
LONG DISTANCE TRIPS - YES every month (120-150kms approx, to my wife hometown )
TOTAL FAMILY MEMBERS- 6

REQUIREMENT- SUV with seating capacity of 6
BUDGET- 10 to 20 L

To start off with I have been using my ride swift for the last 5 years to commute mostly in and around city, I was ok with it in the beginning since it had a few scratches here and there, especially the front bumper used to scrape a lot of the times in our bad roads when the car is full with 5 members especially when they were laying the new road which is the OOTY main road which was a couple of years back. After which I had very little issues with it and infact I was in love with it only after completing its 25k kms in lazy 2 years of time, The reason being (Touchwood)not once it has made me stand in the middle of the road stranded with a issue. It gives me a decent (15 - 17 km/L) in city . Now family members are talking about selling this and taking a new ride a SUV with seating capacity of 6 . I am unwilling to sell my ride as this has been very loyal to me from the day1 and even if it goes for sale it could fetch anywhere between 2.5 to 3.0 L which doesnt make much of a difference when adding the amount in buying my new ride. Please advice me[confused] .

Now coming towards choosing my new ride, My choices were INNOVA, SAFARI STORME, SCORPIO, XUV500.

INNOVA- My dad's first choice as he was provided a company car were he was chauffeur driven in it for the last 4 years and he absolutely love the ride quality and the confidence the Innova portrays especially during his long distance journeys. I am not so much inclined towards Innova as it completely looks like a long van or a long CARRRRR( No offence, its just my personal opinion).

SAFFARI- I like safari for its sheer stance and being an Indian SUV that adds smile to my face as well. But I did check out that the fit and finish was not upto to the Par with its rivals, I experienced this with my Cousins safari and even with my uncle's ride.

SCORPIO- A big NO from dad as he had bad experience with scorpio, Whenever his company car Innova goes for service he was given the scorpio and a couple of times he had fallen sick the next day after he was driven in the scorpio. He always used to boast about the Innova during those instances. But I loved it for its masculine looks and have driven a couple of times and it really is a beast apart from all the creepy noises .

XUV500- I recently started comparing M&M vehicles with Micr0mx phones, dont know why, but its in a goodway, The more they stay in the Market the more they understand customers and refine their products accordingly. Last week I did take a test drive in the XUV500 and it was performing good infact excellent during the test drive , especially as if a beast was ready to pounce on the vehicles in front of it, In fact I had to book a TD with another dealer to compare it. Driving a petrol Swift for all these years I really liked the instant gush of energy that comes out initially. It was leaps and bounds ahead when compared to the scorpio. I also actually like some of the features mentioned by the showroom executive(Hope they all work accordingly[;)]) .

Seeking all the member's to pour in your inputs and also I would be happy if the xuv owners give their valuable feedback about the cheetah.

Last edited:
Re: SUV or XUV (HELP ME CHOOSE A NEW RIDE)

I can say, co with XUV500 eyes closed. From given choices, XUV beats them all and M&M is improving over time. My uncle have an XUV and i am driving it then and now. We also have an Xylo in our family. After driving Xylo for more than 2 year, when i first sat on XUV, i couldn't believe myself that the company which built that lousy Xylo built this. I am not complaining Xylo but admiring XUV over Xylo.

The power is too strong for us to handle, as it can easily touch 150+ and still there is more. Built quality is better and for the features they are offering, it is one gem of a vehicle.

Not a single issue till date and service record is also good. I +1 for XUV.

I would definitely not recommend the Safari. Other members on this forum have opened my eyes to how uncomfortable the rear seats are in that car! FYI they are sideways facing jump seats.

Thread Starter #4

Thankyou for your input. Today I got a call from the showroom executives informing me that this month i can avail a free insurance which means I get a free bumper to bumper insurance when buying XUV500.

Thread Starter #5
Re: XUV or Any Other SUV/MUV

Hello TAI members, We have two M&M dealers here in coimbatore and both of them only have stock of Moon dust silver & Satin white and they are pushing me in choosing only either of these colors and have also mentioned that they can offer a few accessories on discount if i choose either of these colors, BUT I am more interested in opulent purple. Please let me know your inputs folks.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Hello PALS, Please help me in choosing the correct insurance for the new vehicle, I see there is comprehensive and an add on. Could someone please elaborate on this.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Which variant are you going for ? I was getting 20k worth of free accessories in w6 variant. Didn't ask for w8. So ask hin to give free accessories on whichever color you choose.

please drive the Storme and XUV back to back and decide. if you are one who loves gizmos you will be impressed by the XUV

if you like simplicity and want a solidly engineered rugged SUV, then you will prefer the Storme.

to each his own. either way, you will buy a product, which is good in its own right, but will improve with each iteration, i.e. its far from perfect.

Hope this helps

Thread Starter #9

Which variant are you going for ? I was getting 20k worth of free accessories in w6 variant. Didn't ask for w8. So ask hin to give free accessories on whichever color you choose.
I am inclined towards choosing the W8 variant as it has the opulent purple which my Mom and wife loves it. Sales executive said I can avail free insurance only for this month so close to 40k worth of insurance.

Thread Starter #10

please drive the Storme and XUV back to back and decide. if you are one who loves gizmos you will be impressed by the XUV

if you like simplicity and want a solidly engineered rugged SUV, then you will prefer the Storme.

to each his own. either way, you will buy a product, which is good in its own right, but will improve with each iteration, i.e. its far from perfect.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply "himanshugoswami" . Yes I did a TD in storme and I found the fit and finish of the vehicle not so great , plus a lot of body roll when taking the storme in the corners.

bhvm

Honoured Member

xuv 500. end of discussion.

dig up my thunderbolt xuv 500 review thread and report me if you have any questions.

Thanks for your reply "himanshugoswami" . Yes I did a TD in storme and I found the fit and finish of the vehicle not so great , plus a lot of body roll when taking the storme in the corners.
Im surprised to hear that! The Storme actually has better fit and finish than the XUV, e.specially the top end VX Storme.

I agree on the body roll. A ladder on Frame SUV will definitely have more body roll than a monocoque, but the upside is that the ladder on frame chasis is far more durable and sturdy.

You seem to be looking for a mix of sedan type drive and SUV looks- in that case the XUV is better suited for you.

From the given choices:
Innova: Already out as you don't like it.

Scorpio: Scorpio facelift is about to hit the markets in coming months. So if in case you interested than wait for it.

Storme/Safari: Now this is monster has a different leauge. Plain jane SUV not so many features and the only VFM variant (personal choice) is LX. No Airbags, steering controls, Automatic temperature control etc. But definitely has some plus points when it comes to ride quality.

XUV: Well it has everything one can expect from a 15 LAc SUV and may beat down loads of cars/SUV's till 25-30L range when talking of features. Yes the ride quality is not as good as Safari but its not bad. Reason- it has stiff suspensions but it has a very good advantage as well over other SUV's and that is very less body roll. Depends what kind of roads you will be driving. Done 32K and i am proudly happy with my choice. And yes it can sustain an average amount of off-roading as well even though it is a softroader. And if you will be driving 80-85% on tarmac than this is the package you should go with.
any questions please fell free to post/ask:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-w8-ownership-review-30-000-kms-achieved.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Thanks all for your responses, We have almost finalized on XUV500 Opulent purple. Can someone advice on some of the accessories XUV owners did receive as an offer along with their truck, As I can also try and negotiate with my dealer. Also do let me know if it is wise to get the accessories from the dealer or from outside market.

bhvm

Honoured Member

I didn't get much free. they were offering a chrome set which I didnt want.

however I did go for 4 channel amp, woofer, roof rack and led fog lights later on. all accessory from outside.

Top Bottom