Mahindra To Launch Vastly Improvised Thar in 2013

Thread Starter #1
A few months ago, Mahindra upgraded the Thar with AC and a better quality soft top. While the upgrade was much needed, many basic things are still not offered on the Thar. We have just now received exclusive information from our source, who informs us that Mahindra is already working on a major upgrade to the Thar. This upgrade will bring vast improvements to the Thar and will be launched in 2013. The company plans to make the Mahindra Thar a more practical vehicle, in order to make it appeal to a large off-roading audience.

The new Thar will get all new interiors. The current interiors of the Mahindra Thar are way too utilitarian and lack proper ergonomics. The engine start key hole is placed too close to the dashboard due to which the driver’s hand tends to hit the dashboard when turning on the ignition. There are many panel gaps too and Mahindra will also address quality issues. Power windows will be added to the front doors and a foldable canopy soft top will be offered. This soft top is similar to the one seen on the Jeep Wrangler and makes it much easier to fold the top down. Mahindra has no plans to offer a hard top and will keep that option for the aftermarket.

Currently the Mahindra Thar is powered by a 2.5-litre CRDi engine which produces 105 BHP of power and 247 Nm of torque. Our source tells us that a new engine will make its way to the upgraded Thar but couldn’t confirm which one. Could Mahindra plonk the 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder mEagle diesel engine into the Thar? The 1493cc unit has twin-turbochargers and produces a peak power output of 100 BHP at 3750 RPM and a peak torque output of 240 Nm between 1600-2800 RPM. This engine will debut in the mini-Xylo in the next couple of months.

This compact engine is BSV compatible and could be the ideal engine for three reasons. Being BSV compliant will make it easy for Mahindra to continue exporting the Thar to overseas markets. The mEagle motor weighs just 185 kgs, which is around 100 kgs less than the Thar’s current engine . Lastly, the Thar has an overall length of 3920 mm and thus Mahindra can benefit from lower excise duties on the vehicle. This will result in the Thar’s pricing remaining the same as the current model but with added features and improvements. The Mahindra Thar is priced at Rs. 6.75 lakhs (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

Source- motorbeam.com

Wonderful find buddy, i hope this refresh is a thoroughly done exercise,if provided with a better interior with overall quality improvement, I wouldn't mind overlooking Ecosport and might sign on the dotted lines and head toward's Mahindra showroom.

Thread Starter #3
Wonderful find buddy, i hope this refresh is a thoroughly done exercise,if provided with a better interior with overall quality improvement, I wouldn't mind overlooking Ecosport and might sign on the dotted lines and head toward's Mahindra showroom.
Me too why not .but for me I need the rear seats to be front facing if yes this too can be wonderful option in the buying list .

Even though like the current Engine in the Thar, just loved the Idea of plonking that 1.5 engine from mini xylo. that should help them price this model competitively, i am really hoping this news is true

Thread Starter #5
Even though like the current Engine in the Thar, just loved the Idea of plonking that 1.5 engine from mini xylo. that should help them price this model competitively, i am really hoping this news is true
Yes engine is very IMP but I give more priority to space and comfort also if atall it's going to be your personal everyday drive car. Never in my life I would even dream my dad siting in the rear side seats . They can make nice front facing rear seats better ergonomics iam all for it .

Yes engine is very IMP but I give more priority to space and comfort also if atall it's going to be your personal everyday drive car. Never in my life I would even dream my dad siting in the rear side seats . They can make nice front facing rear seats better ergonomics iam all for it .
That's a valid point, If this Thar comes with a better Interior with ABS &Air Bag's then i am going for it will throw the back seat's and will make it a 2 seater,

Thread Starter #7
That's a valid point, If this Thar comes with a better Interior with ABS &Air Bag's then i am going for it will throw the back seat's and will make it a 2 seater,
Hahaha a great option too [clap]
Infact if mahindra decides sure they can make it as they completely capable . But looking at the current price of thar and incorporating stuff that we are dreaming of [roll] I think the price can shoot and then it can come in the niche category but like you iam all for it

Thread Starter #9
Will this new version comes with Hard top least as an option, Any Idea?
No idea boss but you do get those aftermarket tops for the thar many have done that , I have a freind he bought thar last year and has spend some 7 lakhs extra on it when I will meet him I will take all inside out pics for you and post them but he has soft top he customized it from mahindra desgin studio it's a green colour one .

I have a freind he bought thar last year and has spend some 7 lakhs extra on it when I will meet him I will take all inside out pics for you and post them but he has soft top he customized it from mahindra desgin studio it's a green colour one .
Cos if i am not wrong that option is available on Thar which is sold in SouthAfrica, will be waiting for the pic's of your friend's Thar.

Thank's in advance.

That's a great news. And yes i hope this time they atleast give an option for hardtop and provide the Jeep with ABS and some nice interiors, so that it gives a good and classy look. Not much features but atleast a good feel.

I think the current version is better and worth the offer, you don't need too much of comforts in these type of vehicles because most of them are used for utility purposes and for sports that's all. Its better to take the stock version and modify according to your taste because this model a mod-friendly vehicle.

Thread Starter #13
I think the current version is better and worth the offer, you don't need too much of comforts in these type of vehicles because most of them are used for utility purposes and for sports that's all. Its better to take the stock version and modify according to your taste because this model a mod-friendly vehicle.
Can you install front facing rows in the rear or say bucket seats ?

+100.

such vehicles are meant for hard-core off- roading enthusiasts and such users always end up modifying their cars depending upon the track they want to do off roading.

this might be the reason M & M want to keep the vehicle as bare bones as possible. (functional and depending upon the level of customisation mod- friendly, not to forget the budget in reach of an average C segment buyer .)

Top Bottom