Mahindra Thar Review & Pictures

Re: Mahindra Thar (Off) Road Test Review

Sure the traveller, you can join. Once they contact me, I will let you know.

Vishwas-- I had always liked the jeeps, however let me see the practicality of it. If it's not then I will not opt for it.

Vishwas-- I had always liked the jeeps, however let me see the practicality of it. If it's not then I will not opt for it.
Its upto you for deciding,but if your city is lucky enough to have mod shops,then you can find them to Fix a Hard Top,and an air con system from Subros Company

Good attempt by Mahindra to tap a market niche within the constraints of costs and CMVR. Congrats Behram Dhabhar and team. Let's see how the Thar performs on the sales charts. I am sure Mahindra is not expecting any miracles. The Thar will be a good second or third car. Worth waiting for the AC version. As per Mahindra, the soft top is good enough to handle the AC. Fitment of an AC and hard top would make it a tempting buy even as a first car.

Last edited:

Thanks Akash!!

Exactly, Thar is definitely an perfect VFM Off Roader which can literally take over anything you want.

Just few things which M&M could have concentrated can be some safety features & quality interiors.
Zinam: Could you please:

(a) Comment on the axle ratio

(b) Share some pics of the front/rear wheel articulation?

Why M&M don't give the option of AC in their lifestyle off-roader really irritates me.Thar is the only mahindra vehicle i like in terms of look at the moment but can anyone use it without AC in north india is another question?

I think, they have an option for AC. However without proper insulation from soft top, I doubt it's effectiveness. Mahindra should introduce Thar with hard top, AC and proper seats in rear.

By the way today I got an email from Mahindra regarding TD that dealer will contact you soon.

.Thar is the only mahindra vehicle i like in terms of look at the moment but can anyone use it without AC in north india is another question?
I think, they have an option for AC. However without proper insulation from soft top, I doubt it's effectiveness. Mahindra should introduce Thar with hard top, AC and proper seats in rear.

By the way today I got an email from Mahindra regarding TD that dealer will contact you soon.
Mahindra is not giving company fitted air conditioner in Thar,but the dealer in Bangalore informed us to contact Subros Air conditioning systems for Thar which costs around 30-40k.

Why M&M don't give the option of AC in their lifestyle off-roader really irritates me
Because many people who opt this vehicle are enthusiasts,who in turn doesn't like Hard top,and some of them like to drive it in open top.

The Thar's soft top is excellent and fully capable of retaining cool air inside it. An ac can be installed without worrying about the soft top. The main problem is no Mahindra dealer as yet has any clue about the ac. You really going for a Thar or just taking a test drive?

Anyways the hard top fabrication should cost 35000 max,its usually done by the coach works people,but draw back is you mite have to leave your vehicle with them for 15 days,i remember another thread where a member had asked about the hard top to have it done for the Thar.So this conversion would help one use the aftermarket ac efficiently.

Mahindra dealers in South Africa and Italy are selling fabricated hard tops for the Thar. Though it would certainly improve the practicality and security of the vehicle and safety of it's occupants, personally, I would always prefer a vehicle like the Thar with a soft top. After all, what's the point of a Jeep if it does not allow you an unencumbered closeness to the elements?

Attachments

Must be some technical reason plus the fact that a factory fitted ac would also push up the price considerably (remember that the Thar is not a volume product). If not for these two reasons, I completely fail to understand why M&M has yet not offered fitment of an ac in the Thar at the dealer's end (= added bonus of a warranty) even though it claims the Thar to be 'ac ready' (i.e. the necessary plumbing for the ac is already there) ?

Attachments

A friend of mine has the Thar Crdi(some family members also), when i sit in it i turn the ac knobs & think to myself they feel & turn like they are made of cardboard! Then i realize it has no ac & those are all dummy.:stupid: We have owned some jeeps & i have tried to drive some but the truth is if your height is around 6 then there are barely any jeeps one can use,So Thar & Invader are most popular choices & its really funny what some poser off-roaders say in another forum(read it long ago),some even go to the extent of saying that the Thar is a Mahindra Major,the Thar Di does look like the mm540 but with a supposedly better di engine,but it looks unattractive(needs broader tires,side fender lips etc).But Thar at the moment looks like an improvement but never a value for money product.

So Thar Di (4x4)is for the farmer at 5.4 lakhs OTR(Karnataka) , someone who needs the product for what it is & not the image it creates cos you get only two colours white & sand/khaki.

Thar Crdi well its got a modern engine(sounds exactly like the scorpio on start up since they are same) but how well this engine can take abuse needs to be seen cos a jeep goes on for lakhs of km with heavy usage.But since this has power steering it should be easier on you.

Re: Mahindra To Launch Vastly Improvised Thar in 2013

As promised to Visran iam posting pictures of my freinds thar . He spend 7 lakhs extra on the thar . Mahindra customization did the job on his thar .
I even took a nice long drive in his thar my impressions are as follow.

I had read that thar has a lot of ergonomic issues like crazy hard clutch and gear shifts and I had mentioned that above too . But surprisingly I must admit that the clutch was not hard as some people have mentioned the gear shifts though not smooth are better then bolero atleast for me .
The best best thing about thar is the engine superb engine with it's extremely responsive I was driving the thar in 4 gear at speeds of 25,30,35 and the car was happily moving with so much eagerness .
The suspensions are horrible and even small undulations are felt inside the cabin . Now my freind has customized the thar but even after spending 7 lakhs the car dosent have a lock , the doors are already rusting ( you can see the picture below since "kanoon sabot mangta hain" I am providing one [lol]).
His thar has ac but it's not felt . And by all means iam sorry to say mahindra has done extreme chindigiri ( cheapness) in this vehicle with such a superb engine . For the engine [clap] to the team in mahindra .
My freind uses this along with his sx4 since he is a big fan of jeeps he bought this just for his passion .
About road presence belive me while driving many people showed me thumbs up it does look macho, brute and very very imposing .
** this post is dedicated to visran for his immense contribution to our forum and I had promised him I will take some pictures for him .

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom