Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk VLX Micro Hybrid 2WD

sudarshanG, this thread is shouting loud and out for some snaps of your ride mate, its been over two months since your ownership and you have not yet posted any pictures of your ride, please do so.

Sudarshan,

I'm considering buying a Scorpio and need to decide which dealer should I choose in Bangalore. Would appreciate if you can share your experience with India Garage in a little detail and which branch of IG did you opted for. I TD'ven the vehicle through them and found the sales person pretty good and cooperating.

Also hows your experience so far after migrating from Indica? Hows the body roll of the vehicle? Hows the handling etc?

Amit

I have no answer, but instead he should go for one with alloy.
I have planned to book VLX 4WD with Air Bag. Have raised same query to M&M sales person. After many long mail conversation he agreed to give me Alloy spare wheel with no-profit no-loss basis.

forget to ask about the 5th TPMS sensor for spare wheel.

I have planned to book VLX 4WD with Air Bag. Have raised same query to M&M sales person. After many long mail conversation he agreed to give me Alloy spare wheel with no-profit no-loss basis.

forget to ask about the 5th TPMS sensor for spare wheel.
Good decision that you are going for Scorpio-4WD.
And a good bargain too for the 5th alloy.
I think it will come with TPMS.
Each sensor costs 2200/-

Thread Starter #50
Fellow TAI'ians,

Can anyone suggest a good Reverse Parking Camera brand name for my Scorpio VLX in and around Bangalore?

It already has parking sensors which does its job, but I need a camera to view what is behind to avoid obstacles that cannot be detected by the sensors.

How much does it cost? India Garage folks quoted Rs.8000 but I doubt the brand reputation [confused] of that product.

Does the camera work even in night times with poor/no lighting conditions?

Is it safe to get it done outside Mahindra authorized dealer? I am worried that if I get it done outside and if there are any problems caused by the installation, it might "void" my current and extended warranty [thinking]

Xenos is a good brand, and go for one with Night Vision, its better to get it done at A.S.S.
As later they can't deny if something goes wrong, with the electricals.

Hi sudharshang, congrats on the Scorp. Good to know you have covered 17K kms in 7 months (I read this on the Mahindra Scorpio problems and woes thread). I'm keeping track of all the mHawk ownership threads, to do a comparison of service costs (labour, parts etc).

Also, to know which workshop is better among SKS/Sireesh/IG. So, please do share details of the 3 services that you have completed and some pictures of your possession. This thread has been waiting for a long time (7 months) to see your Scorp.

Thread Starter #53
Thanks for the wishes Avindu. I bought it from IG, so giving service there only.

My company CEO has a scorpio and he used to give in Sireesh for service. He does not recommend there. I am planning to try Chrome Motors (Mysore Road) or SKS for the next service.

I am fedup reiterating all my issues with IG service folks. They don't correct them in the first attempt.

Sorry for not posting ownership review and photos of my "Bheem Boy". Ever since I got him, I am travelling and travelling....

Will soon post by end of this month.

Thread Starter #54
I finally got the opportunity to do a small write-up. Apologies for such a long delay. My personal constraints did not allow me to do so far. I have already shared my booking experience in the beginning of this thread.

Having driven 50,000 km in these 2 years, how do I feel about this machine? Well, I am always eager to drive it whenever I get a chance. The vehicle has managed to keep this enthusiasm factor kicking.

Much has been discussed in this forum about the dynamics, ride, handling, suspension etc of Scorpio which celebrated its 10th birthday last year. I
have not done any serious off-roading, so can't comment much on that. I will list out salient features (both +ve and -ve):

* Suspension is much better than pre-refresh models

* The tick-tick sound that I had mentioned in page 3, was coming from A/C cutoff sensor. I got this confirmed from all the service workshops that I have visited. The sound comes only when A/C is switched on. It regulates the temperature inside the cabin.

* The first 5000 km was butter smooth. There were loose nuts/bolts/screws that needed tightening and proper lubrication. Failure to do that correctly
during service was the cause for rattling noises inside/outside the car. I also noticed that seats and especially the gigantic rear door caused noise before
the first service. Also checked for ski-racks, door beadings and improper fitting of roof chiller.

* For front disc brake noise and hard gear shift, see my post

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...chnical-problems-solutions-11.html#post267675

* Stock tyres - Bridgestone Dueler H/T, no issues so far. 5th tyre did not come with alloys. There is a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System sensor on it but is not displayed on the tell tale. Temperature and Pressure readings are shown only for 4 tyres. But if the pressure/temp of any tyre (including spare) is over/under the limits, there is a visual and audio indication (beep). There is always a +/- 2 psi difference in what the TPMS shows and the reading at
various air filling stations.

* During service, unless clearly told, the technicians fill the tyres with air, there by voiding the very purpose of having nitrogen in the tyres. I was filling nitrogen for the first 10,000 km and the ride was good. Mileage was also decent - 14 km/l with 90% AC (80% highway and 20% city driving). Now, I use air only. Not much difference. There was a puncture in one of the tyres but it took some days to detect as the air leak was gradual. When the
pressure was low, TPMS immediately sirened and I got it repaired. Tubeless tyres and TPMS are really a boon.

* I get all the 5 tyres rotated with out fail every 5000 km as mentioned in the owner's manual. It ensures gradual and even wear of tread on all the
tyres.

* As per manual, I get Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing done every 20k kms and whenever there is a puncture

* In idling, the RPM needle stays at 900

* There is no door sensor for the rear door. Auto lock does not sense that there is a 5th door [frustration]

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...chnical-problems-solutions-11.html#post267904

* No alloys for the 5th wheel - only steel rim

* The 2-DIN Bluetooth Audio system from Nippon is decent and speakers with tweeters do a fair job. But the Seek button on steering wheel does not advance to next track when in Bluetooth mode. There are NO speakers on the doors for middle row. Front and rear door speakers do their job well.

* The 3 ultrasonic sensors do their job fantastically. Initially I thought I would go for a reverse camera, but I shelved it.

* Rear mud flaps do not come with body colour - only in black. Had to get it painted during first service.

* Lucky that Chrome Kit has lasted for more than 2 years

* Rain sensing wipers, Follow-me headlamps, Start-Stop (micro hybrid) functionalities have worked fine with out any issues

* Wish that the following were present in the top variant - VLX
- ABS with EBD (currently it is only pure ABS)
- All disc brakes
- Turn indicators on side mirrors
- Leather seats
- Automatic Climate Control
- Roof chiller (as there are no rear AC vents)
- Lumbar support in front row seats

Service details will follow in my next post.

Beast resting in its parking lot

Attachments

Last edited:
Fantastic pictures of your scorpio.

Care to explain again what vibrations did you experience in the gear lever.
I had faced vibrations only during starting and switching off the car.

Aah finally there it is..

Sunfilms still there on your car, or is it the old pic?

Congrats buddy on clocking 50000 kms in 2 years, mine has just clocked 50,545 kms as ow now in 52 months.

Waiting for your expense report of the hawk.

Thread Starter #58
Mukesh - you have an Eagle's err Hawk's eye for details [clap]
Yes, they were taken before the sun films were removed.

Roof Chiller

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

Last row jump seats can easily accommodate 2 adults with comfort. Why Mahi does not provide waist seat belts (similar to the centre seat in the middle row) for these seats?

DSC00005.jpg

Simple but classy bull bar from Mahindra

DSC00006.jpg

An exhaust cover looks good. Will it cause any problems?

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Driver seat fully extended back

DSC00011.jpg

Middle row leg room when driver seat fully extended back

DSC00012.jpg

Middle row door. It has child lock for both the doors. Has to be operated by turning a button using car key.

DSC00014.jpg

Driver-side door

DSC00015.jpg

See how the large the swing of rear door. Has a child lock too.

DSC00016.jpg

Co-driver seat fully extended back

DSC00017.jpg

Simple, functional but not classy centre console

DSC00019.jpg

Love this steering wheel. Good feedback and light weight for this nearly 2 ton monster. Happy with U-turns inside city [:D]

DSC00020.jpg

Scuff plates

DSC00023.jpg

Provision for additional speakers in the rear, but Mahi does not provide

DSC00024.jpg

Middle row leg space

DSC00027.jpg

3 adults can sleep when middle and last row seats are folded back

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Floor A/C console

DSC00049.jpg

RPAS controller (controls auto wiper, auto headlights etc) under co-driver's seat

DSC00050.jpg

ABS unit under driver seat

DSC00051.jpg

Attachments

Congrat's on reaching the 50K mark, it indeed is a very nicely maintained car[clap] that AC vent's for the second row,is it an aftermarket one?

Thread Starter #60
Thanks for all the wishes buddies [:D]

Congrat's on reaching the 50K mark, it indeed is a very nicely maintained car[clap] that AC vent's for the second row,is it an aftermarket one?
Yes, it is an accessory which I purchased from dealer itself. Costed 7000 in 2011.

There is one more variation in it where in additional A/C can be fitted in the vehicle and the roof chiller will throw the A/C. Costs around 20,000.

Don't know how and where the additional A/C is fit inside the engine bay [confused]

This one is not required as existing AC in Scorpio is very powerful. The simple roof chiller serves its purpose very well.

Top Bottom