Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Before I begin, I would like to thank TAI for giving me the opportunity to share my experience and also all the TAI'ans, who have shared theirs thoughts and opinions, which helped in buying this car.

Disclaimer : The experience I have shared in this thread is purely based on my own opinion and my views does not intend to disrespect the company, the car or any existing owners.

From what seemed to be an hunt for a hatchback, ended up buying a 'Second hand' and one of the most popular SUV in India [:D].

To give a little bit of backdrop, our first car was an Hyundai Accent GLE (Petrol), purchased back in 2005. The usage of the car was minimal for the first 3 years or so, (had done about 25K, around 800Kms/month) including occassional long drives. Over a period of time the usage increased and my every day travel of 60Kms/day was burning a hole in my pocket, with the ever increasing petrol rates. Hence we decided upon buying a diesel car and sold the Accent. We had not decided on what car to buy and also dint want to exchange the car as the value might be less, when exchanged, than selling it.

My priorities were :

1. 'Diesel' car
2. Budget : 7-8L
3. Reliable ASS
4. Mileage of 13-14 in city and 18 in highways.

June, 2010 : I casually started enquiring about different diesel cars and this is when I got the chance to drive my friend's diesel swift. This is the first time ever I sat inside a swift and I liked it. Its high driving seat position (than the accent), power delivery & handling, maneuvering around the city traffic, made me feel this was the car for me, but then, wanted to check the other cars as well, as the VW Polo diesel was just launched and also the i20 crdi.

June 27th : Visited the VW downtown showroom (Magrath Road), but the diesel polo was not available for TD. Drove the petrol version and was quite impressed, besides the space. Was told a week or two, for the TDI test drive.

July 17th : Got a call from VW, that the diesel car was available for TD. The car that I drove was the Highline version.

Liked :

1. Exterior design, with simple lines looked elegant. Stylish head lamps, 15" alloys, high ground clearance, made it look and is, a sturdy car for Indian roads
2. Interiors were simply the best among the class. The black and beige combination, was pleasing to the eyes.
3. The Integrated Music system, short slick gear shift, the multi information display, that shows DTE, Outside temp, Clock, time for the next service, Instant FE, were just too good.

Disliked :

1. Space : What is a car without space, no matter how good it looks? [frustration] This was the most disappointing, as the head room and the rear leg space was a concerning factor. With the drivers seat adjusted for a 6 footer like me, there was hardly any room to the passenger sitting behind the drivers seat and there was about a inch space between my head and the roof.
2. Loud clatter of the engine, even with the windows closed and AC on, that too for a 1.2L engine was irritating.
3. The petrol engine was much better than the diesel. Hardly any power felt on the TDI version, no matter how hard you press the accelerator in the 1st and 2nd gear.

VW Polo was dropped from the list.

On the very same day, visited the ORR Advaith Hyundai to TD the i20 crdi. Will share the experience in detail tomorrow. Till then some pics of newly acquired possession.

Attachments

Wow nice report and excellent pictures.
I am curious to know how you moved from Polo/i20 to mHawk. After reading your intro, I was assuming that you are zeroing to i20.

350Z

Core Team
Interesting. I'm curios to know what made you to opt an SUV when you were actually eyeing for hatchback. Congratulations anyways, and I must admit that it does not looks like a second hand car at all. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

welcome on board mate and congratulations on your new acquisition of MHawk, awesome machine from mahindra.Enjoy your ride and do share the remaining part of your buying experience.

Hello avindu, Welcome to The Automotive India. You have come in here with an interesting start. I am eagerly waiting for more to know how your search for a hatch ended up with you buying one of the most loved SUV.
Enjoy your stay here.
Cheers,
Akash

Yet another mHawk on the forum! I think scorpio is the most popular vehicle on TAI now!

Welcome to the gang buddy, waiting to read the full story soon. the car looks in a great condition. is this a 2008 model?

Yes I too love that beast .Heard a lot of stories that Scorpio is unstable ,not comfortable not good in breaking bla bla bla but the beauty really makes me love it.

Top Bottom