Mahindra Roxor Off-Roader

Thread Starter #1
Mahindra’s facility in Detroit to manufacture the Mahindra Roxor off-roader

Mahindra-ROXOR-coming-in-2018.jpg

Mahindra has set up a new manufacturing facility in Detroit, Michigan. The Mahindra Automotive North America (MANA) manufacturing facility is spread across 150,000 sq.ft. and is the first by a global automaker in the Detroit region in 25 years. As reported in March 2017, the company will launch a new off-road vehicle in the US made at this facility.

Mahindra-Automotive-North-America-MANA-Detroit.jpg

The production facility will roll out a new off-road vehicle for the American market called Mahindra Roxor. Details are sketchy at the moment as the vehicle remains under wrap. However, it is expected to be a derivative of the Mahindra Thar sold in the Indian market. According to the official release from Mahindra, the off-highway vehicle has been designed and engineered by MANA and it promises to
be “unlike anything currently on the market”.

According to a report from earlier this month, the UV will borrow the SsangYong’s Tivoli’s 1.6-litre engine which meets Euro VI emission norms. A 5-speed/6-speed manual gearbox is likely to serve as the transmission, sending power to all four wheels.

Mahindra Group Chairman Anand Mahindra said:

"This is an exciting day for Mahindra, our terrific employees and Detroit. I couldn’t be prouder to be here to help open this new facility today. This building opening represents our company’s growing presence in North America and locally in the Metro Detroit area where we have tripled our workforce during the past 18 months. We are committed to growing the Mahindra brand in North America and Michigan."

Source: indianautosblog

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to see an Indian manufacturer setting up a plant in Detroit. Mahindra has been doing a good job to become more of a global brand. Their bid on supplying the US Postal van update, and now this, is surely going to get them more interest.

The Thar, though quite bare basic in India, would have to be updated with a lot of features if they plan to sell it in the US. They would surely price it much higher, but it would be have to be loaded with better safety features and seating. Also, from what it sounds, they would be launching it with a Petrol engine form Ssangyong Tivoli, which would be Euro VI.

This would also build the way for updating the Thar in the years to come with some features trickling down from the US version slowly. They can even launch a higher priced version of the Thar with the features, so that it can compete with the Isuzu V Cross.

With being the leader in Electric cars in India, to now stepping out and setting up plants on the other side of the world, Mahindra is surely on a roll.

Thread Starter #3
Mahindra has released a teaser video which confirms that the Roxor will debut on March 2, 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG24TSZTGhw

In November 2017, Mahindra had announced that the Roxor would be the first model to be built at its new manufacturing plant in Detroit. The company has invested US$ 230 million in the Detroit facility which has an installed capacity of 10,000 units.

The Roxor is an off-road vehicle which has been designed and developed by Mahindra Automotive North America (MANA). The carmaker hasn't released any details about the new product, however the teaser video suggests that the Roxor is likely to be a utility vehicle (UTV) with two front seats, rollover protection and a loading bay at the rear. It is expected to get leaf spring suspension and off-road tyres.

The Mahindra Roxor will only be sold in the American market.

Friends,

Mahindra & Mahindra has unveiled the Roxor Off-Roader. Here is the video and screenshots of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAgh6MfOF8

Video Credit: ROXOR Off Road

Regards

Akash​

I'm really lost for words bewildered, whether to laugh cry or whot.

No one in their senses would have thought of launching this juggad thing ever in Cambodia, how much more nasty the grill can be, my denter would have done a better grill than that.

How much $$$$ will they ask for this, I don't think it should fetch more than a grand (I'm being generous, or stupid).

Best of luck M&M.

Regards
Vinod​

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I'm really lost for words bewildered, whether to laugh cry or whot.

No one in their senses would have thought of launching this juggad thing ever in Cambodia, how much more nasty the grill can be, my denter would have done a better grill than that.

How much $$$$ will they ask for this, I don't think it should fetch more than a grand.

Best of luck M&M.
Sir, for a advanced market like the US this product seems very elementary to be honest. A brand like M&M which offers much better products in a developing market like India (Thar) & XUV etc should really have given a bit of thought before rolling out this one. In India, this type of mods can be actually carried out on M&M's Classic Jeep or even in Thar. Secondly, US has got liking for the pick up trucks which GM is there to provide among others too so what purpose does this serve? I really expected a more modern off-road vehicle from M&M keeping in mind their history in the SUV space. Even in gulf countries, people do off-road adventures in advanced SUV(s) so in today's time coming up with a vehicle of this type is surprising. In fact, their Stinger concept still felt much better in looks than this one. The front grill in the Stinger concept was much better than this crooked looking one. One thing I did note though, the color is quite similar to the Wrangler. I have seen the Wrangler Jeep in person in this type of color.

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

20160208_140812.jpg

20160208_140617.jpg

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Adding a few more details:

1. It is using the 2.5l Turbo DI engine, and not the petrol engine from GM, as was predicted earlier. The Petrol engine from GM is for the US Postal services van, which is being developed in the same facility. The output is only 62hp and 195Nm torque.
2. This vehicle is not road legal , and is being marketed as a pure off roading vehicle.
3. With a max speed of 45mph, I don't think it would be safe to be used, and also it would need far more safety features to become road legal.
4. It's priced at 15600USD for the base model and 19xxxUSD for the higher variant.

More details in this First look video:

https://youtu.be/B-21ulCHnPw

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Adding a few more details:

1. It is using the 2.5l Turbo DI engine, and not the petrol engine from GM, as was predicted earlier. The Petrol engine from GM is for the US Postal services van, which is being developed in the same facility. The output is only 62hp and 195Nm torque.
2. This vehicle is not road legal , and is being marketed as a pure off roading vehicle.
3. With a max speed of 45mph, I don't think it would be safe to be used, and also it would need far more safety features to become road legal.
4. It's priced at 15600USD for the base model and 19xxxUSD for the higher variant.
Nearly 10L for base model? and with a speed of 70 odd Km/h and a average engine, I am really in doubt as to who will consider this one over a full blown used pick up for an off-road! What are the safety features offered in it any idea?

Regards

Akash

Nearly 10L for base model? and with a speed of 70 odd Km/h and a average engine, I am really in doubt as to who will consider this one over a full blown used pick up for an off-road! What are the safety features offered in it any idea?

Regards

Akash
As its not street legal, it is sold like farm equipment, hence it does not have to stick with the emission or safety norms which are standard in the US. From the look of the dashboard which is fully plain and the thin steering wheel, I don't think it has airbags. Similarly, I haven't heard ABS being mentioned in the features. The only safety feature I can think is the anti roll bar and a rear view mirror [:D] (as that was mentioned in the first look video). Taking into consideration the guy had to mention a rear view mirror, I guess that is how less features it has.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
As its not street legal, it is sold like farm equipment, hence it does not have to stick with the emission or safety norms which are standard in the US. From the look of the dashboard which is fully plain and the thin steering wheel, I don't think it has airbags. Similarly, I haven't heard ABS being mentioned in the features. The only safety feature I can think is the anti roll bar and a rear view mirror (as that was mentioned in the first look video). Taking into consideration the guy had to mention a rear view mirror, I guess that is how less features it has.
Seeing this, I doubt if it even has basic seat belts either to keep the driver in place[lol] Even if it is not road legal still it could have been loaded with basic safety features after all it is very much driveble. 10 L for this Lego Toy of a Jeep is too much. Never imagined M&M shall roll out something like this.

Regards

Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
What is Mahindra trying to do?
A 62 HP engine with 75kmph top speed. In a land called USA where people have V8s and v10s as beaters and daily driver. And they do have custom buggies making 500HP with 54 inch wheels for any kind of off road duties. I do appreciate Mahindra Launching vehicles Internationally but here they seem to have put their Wrong foot forward.

Launching a jeep with lawnmover engine.

Last edited:
I don't think that it's entirely a misfit. The Willy's jeep had some major fan following back in it's time, and it seems to that Mahindra is purely trying to take advantage of the heritage. In the reaction to the video and some other links people do seem to be interested.
There are some of the opinion that Jeep does not build true off roaders anymore and that this is the real deal. A tractor engine in a Jeep is a charming prospect for some.

Being a huge market, I am sure it will find a few buyers at it's price point. However, I am disappointed that Mahindra decided to go with this as it's first entry into the North American market. I was going through the reviews of Mahindra tractors that are sold there and they are not too good, and this in my opinion will only worsen the brand image. Any proper road legal product, launched by Mahindra in the future would not be taken seriously if they are coming across as a company which builds cars for agricultural or pure recreational purposes.

A better option was to bring in the XUV Petrol, or the Rexton along with it for better brand building.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mahindra Roxor Automatic priced approx Rs 2.7 lakhs more than Manual

mahindra-roxor-at-launch-price-india.jpg

Mahindra is offering the new Roxor AT with some additional goodies as well. Apart from the 6-speed AT, customers also get two optional rear passenger seats and a rollover protection system. However, these additions come at a cost.

mahindra-thar-automatic-roxor-india-launch-3.jpg

The Roxor AT retails at $ 18,999 (INR 13.79 lakh), while the regular MT Roxor is sold at $ 15,999 (INR 11.09 lakh). Power is still drawn from a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder turbocharged diesel motor, though now customers can choose between a 5-speed MT and a 6-speed AT. As the vehicle has been promoted as a proper off-highway machine, 4 wheel drive functionality comes as standard.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mahindra Roxor Roxbox concept SUV debuts with off-road accessories

mahindra-roxor-roxbox-india-1.jpg

The Roxor Roxbox concept features a flat work bed with retractable steel cage instead of pickup-like loading bay. The aim is to portray the Roxor as a versatile workhorse that can take on challenging off-road conditions. The concept is also equipped with numerous accessories including a steel bumper with winching kit, meaty off-road tyres, steel roof with 360 degree LED roof lights, and a body made of tough grainy material which is dubbed as Roxliner. The design with 4.5-slat grille (Mahindra has agreed not to use 7-slat grille in its US-spec models since they mimic FCA-owned Jeep’s design identity) sees no change.

mahindra-roxor-roxbox-india-6.jpg

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mahindra Roxor new face launched – After losing lawsuit to Fiat

2020-mahindra-roxor-facelift-launch.jpg

Mahindra lost legal battle with FCA in the US. As a result, 2020 Roxor gets a new grille and some other cosmetic updates.

After completing around 2 years with the Roxor in the US, Mahindra has now brought in a mid-life facelift of the Thar based off-roader. The most prominent change in the Roxor is the new honeycomb grille which has replaced the controversial Jeep-inspired vertical slat unit.

Both, Mahindra and FCA have been at loggerheads due to the ongoing court-case related to Roxor’s Jeep-inspired design and looks. Fiat filed lawsuit against Mahindra for giving the Roxor, Jeep like grille. With the update, resemblance with the iconic Jeeps have gone down considerably. Hopefully, Fiat will no longer have issues. But, is the facelifted Roxor grille inspired by the 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40?

Read:

Top Bottom