Mahindra Quanto Review | Test Drive | Pictures

Re: Mahindra Quanto Road Test Drive Review

I am not good at using expert Auto language there[:)]
Oh c'mon, stop being humble.
No one with two green dots under his name could be bad at using automotive language[;)].

Any other things that you would like to itierate out of your test drive of the Quanto? Something that Iron Rock might have missed here (@Iron Rock: No offence meant please)?

@Sam, IR has almost covered everything and small details too with lot of pics, but I felt two more things not good in Quanto

1. Low end torque is not good as Scorpio
2. Jump seats are just waste of time and not safe too and I get a claustrophobic feeling with small tiny windows on the sides. For this Xylo is really excellent and even Scorpio is very good and again XUV is not good[;)]

@Gurrala74: Low end torque is not good? I have read a few reviews that have praised its low end pulling power due to the twin scroll turbo. Did you drive it in crowded traffic conditions?

Seriously, you should do a road test for TAI someday. Its amazing how you manage to eke out missed but relevant points. Adding reps.

@Sam,

See, My way of doing a TD may be different from others, As I will do a TD of any vehicle treating it as my enemy in first place, so my entire approach and observations will be different from others most of the times as the same happened in Storme and XUV threads earlier where my view was different from others[:)]

My approach is very practical always and never keeping its data sheet in mind. So I always believe in practical thing which is happening on the road while driving, example : the moment I have in my mind that Quanto is equipped with twin scroll turbo, so it would be defenately excellent, then even it misbehaves on the road also I will be in a trans of its superiority and keep saying all is well OR excellent. So my way of dealing with the things is different

I do the TD to satisfy myself first, if it fails then I express it out immediately. So I drove Scorpio number of times and that I could make out comparing Quanto, Scorpio is really good in low end torque. I drove Quanto twice(in Hyderabad(soon it was launched) and in Mumbai)

No offence to anybody here, I always stick to what I felt[:D]

@Gurrala74: I guess that's the correct way of doing things. Kudos to you. Please let out further observations if you have any.

@Iron Rock: Coming back to the thread, what do you have to say about Gurrala74's observations? I am expecting some enlightenment on the Twin Scroll turbo thingummy.

Hey Sam I have already warned you not ignite fight between me and IR here[lol], if you do so, I will never answer anything to you frankly in future and say just " All is well "

Those were my personal observations only

@Gurrala74: No hard feelings[lol]. Just weighing one opinion against another. I guess we are lucky indeed to be a part of this forum where so many different opinions could converge on the road towards automotive enlightenment.One man's goose is another man's gander. Here's three cheers to the TAI camaraderie!

@Iron Rock: Comments on the twin scroll turbo please!

Thread Starter #38

@Gurrala74: I guess that's the correct way of doing things. Kudos to you. Please let out further observations if you have any.

@Iron Rock: Coming back to the thread, what do you have to say about Gurrala74's observations? I am expecting some enlightenment on the Twin Scroll turbo thingummy.
Infact i fully agree with Gurrala's observation, as i mentioned it has a Jekyll and Hyde characteristic to it :-

Driver A :- might not rev and shift early(read normally) and might find it underpowered.
Driver B :- might shift late and ride the turbo wave and find it nippy.

Both are right, but to get the best out of the vehicle one has to be driver B. Its all about adapting to the vehicle's characteristic.[cheers]

@Iron Rock: Classic Moderator reply[clap]! So the bottomline is that twin-scroll or not, one must know how to keep the engine on the boil to extract driveability.[;)]

There is no God.

+100 IR on your view, but unfortunately

you will find most of the driver A kind of buyers in India including me[lol], end up selling the car by the time one understands it properly and sync[lol]

Thread Starter #41

@Iron Rock: Classic Moderator reply! So the bottomline is that twin-scroll or not, one must know how to keep the engine on the boil to extract driveability.

There is no God.
Shift late is the mantra with the Quanto especially in 2 to 2.3k rpm ranges.

+100 IR on your view, but unfortunately

you will find most of the driver A kind of buyers in India including me[lol], end up selling the car by the time one understands it properly and sync[lol]
Sir I wish people in India were all rich enough like you to sell their cars if they dont like a characteristic [;)] and more so I hope people in India are smart enough to understand a car before they actually buy it - its called informed smart buyers!

IR, it is not the matter of rich or poor here

It is the matter of how many of those car owners who check their RPM meter before changing the gears. To be frank I never knew there is something called rpm meter in car before two years. I only know crank the engine and start driving[:)]

Yes there are smart buyers across the forums like us in few thousands and rest are in crores

Last edited:
Thread Starter #43

It is the matter of how many of those car owners who check their RPM meter before changing the gears. To be frank I never knew there is something called rpm meter in car before two years. I only know crank the engine and start driving[:)]
Sir i dont know the better way of explaining this engine characteristic of quanto may be - if it helps you can try shifting at grtttttttttttttmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and when the 18th m comes its ideal as the turbo spools well by then.
So to get the drift Numbers are 'means' to give proper reference points, those arent a reason to shove your head in the dashboard - Lets not get too literal about everything.

IR

You don't need to explain so badly to a mechanical engineer.
If you have time then, please do some study on how a common buyer of India drives car. I am adding this topic too into to the list of our across the table discussion

1. Low end torque is not good as Scorpio
Scorpio has mhawk and quanto with lesser cc, obviously there would be presence of turbo lag, even storme was not tweaked like scorpio, but true even I did not like this approach, because all of their vehicles in the market doesn't have turbo lag except Quanto, (hope they resolve the issue in the next updgrade)

Jump seats are just waste of time and not safe too and I get a claustrophobic feeling with small tiny windows on the sides. For this Xylo is really excellent and even Scorpio is very good and again XUV is not good[;)]
Jump seats has significance there, people who are above 5'8 definitely dislikes sitting there, but people who are of medium height can suit there very well.

FYI Xylo and XUV isn't offered in bench seats.

Top Bottom