Mahindra MM540 Technical Issues

Thread Starter #1
This is my first thread on Automotive Indian site.Please forgive me incase of any Mistakes on writing.
I brought a MM540 with pegout engine in 8. months before.Its a 1992 model.Body and painting looks pretty cool.
problem 1 :
But my mM540 only reach 60 kmph on highways.Incase of increasing throttle the jeep makes a Big Sound.

Mechanic says :
Need to check the gear box and crown for that big sound problem.

problem 2 :
The another one problem is my jeep did not start i a cool climate.I think its a battery problem.

Mechanic says :
Need to check and replace the ignition coil.

Hon.Members say your advices and quote a price of the Ignition coil.Please help me friends.

James,
Little confusing statements for me,- I owned MM540 with Pegeout for more than 15 years.
Hope the fuel you use in the MM540 is Diesel.
Pr.1. Check whether the Diesel pump is ever opened or tampered. Check the revolutions of the Engine. Check the Clutch plate and assembly.

Pr.2. There is no Ignition coils in the Diesel Engines, to my knowledge. You might have mistaken for the heater plugs.
Check the 4 nos of plugs and the electrical circuit. Pre heating is very important in these engines.
For which good battery is a must.

Consult with an expert mechanic in Pegeout engines. Calibration of the Diesel pump requires special test bench and experience. I used to do it in Chennai Lucas (Mount Road) on those days, who were very prompt on same day delivery, because I am sending it from Kerala. Very good service also.
Good luck.

Thread Starter #3
Thank you Peejay. Now no problem with ma MM540. Just clean the Battery terminals and reconnect the battery.Now the problem solved...i would like to ask a frw questiona to you Peejay.Because of the owner of MM540 for 15 years.!
qus 1:
How to know the Engine head is ok or not.? How it cost.?
qus 2:
Where is the Heater Plugs ? and where is the Engine oil cap?

i will post a photos of my MM540 Engine soonly.

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

Check the exhaust tail pipe. If it is too dirty, you may open the top of the engine to have a look inside. Again a good mechanic can help you a lot. NO idea about the present cost. I can check and let you know later.

Send me a photograph I may be able to mark the heater plugs on it for you.

Rgds

PJ

James,
Little confusing statements for me,- I owned MM540 with Pegeout for more than 15 years.
Pr.1. Check whether the Diesel pump is ever opened or tampered. Check the revolutions of the Engine. Check the Clutch plate and assembly.

Pr.2. There is no Ignition coils in the Diesel Engines, to my knowledge. You might have mistaken for the heater plugs.
Check the 4 nos of plugs and the electrical circuit. Pre heating is very important in these engines.

Consult with an expert mechanic in Pegeout engines. Calibration of the Diesel pump requires special test bench and experience. I used to do it in Chennai Lucas (Mount Road) on those days, who were very prompt on same day delivery, because I am sending it from Kerala. Very good service also.
Good luck.

Hello

I'm New to automotive webpage, want know new tips here regard automobile .[A) Am owning MM540 peugeot 1989 model bought 2 years ago. Its done good job so far i spent near 50k (changed Clutch plate , Foundation work of engine, Steering Road, Rims & Tyres many more so far. Now have an issue with white smoke problem. Mechanics Suggesting me to Change the GASKET, RINGS & Slaves.

Secondly am taking care of my friend's MM550 with Peugeot engine of the year 1998. This jeep also having White Smoke problem, before to this has Engine oil leakage. Mechanics said to change the Gasket, Rings and Slaves, whole work cost me 12K. This vehicle haves power break, Advance features than MM540 .

So the Above both Vehicles getting timely repaired at Same mechanic. Even the Spare parts not get in original. Some takes takes many days, or mechanic fix the suitable one which gives problem later.

I want some suggestions for both cases, from your best experiences as a jeep owner.
1. Any Suitable Engine for both variants
2. Solution for white smoke issues

Thanks ,

Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Friends, i am a new member i need your help to find out some reasons abt my mm540. From the last eight months i am using a mm540 1999 model, i am very happy with its performance. Since i am a jeep lover but very week in the technical side, my question is How can i find out which engine using in my mm540, Some of my friends told me it is a xd3p enging, other one told me it is a 540dp one more word i heared is 540xd. Could any one help me how can i find out which engine is it. if posdible please ecplain xd3p, 540xd and 540dp.

James,

Good luck.
Hi Friends, i am a new member i need your help to find out some reasons abt my mm540. From the last eight months i am using a mm540 1999 model, i am very happy with its performance. Since i am a jeep lover but very week in the technical side, my question is How can i find out which engine using in my mm540, Some of my friends told me it is a xd3p enging, other one told me it is a 540dp one more word i heared is 540xd. Could any one help me how can i find out which engine is it. if posdible please ecplain xd3p, 540xd and 540dp.

Hello

I'm New to automotive webpage, want know new tips here regard automobile .[A) Am owning MM540 peugeot 1989 model bought 2 years ago. Its done good job so far i spent near 50k (changed Clutch plate , Foundation work of engine, Steering Road, Rims & Tyres many more so far. Now have an issue with white smoke problem. Mechanics Suggesting me to Change the GASKET, RINGS & Slaves.

Secondly am taking care of my friend's MM550 with Peugeot engine of the year 1998. This jeep also having White Smoke problem, before to this has Engine oil leakage. Mechanics said to change the Gasket, Rings and Slaves, whole work cost me 12K. This vehicle haves power break, Advance features than MM540 .

So the Above both Vehicles getting timely repaired at Same mechanic. Even the Spare parts not get in original. Some takes takes many days, or mechanic fix the suitable one which gives problem later.

I want some suggestions for both cases, from your best experiences as a jeep owner.
1. Any Suitable Engine for both variants
2. Solution for white smoke issues

Thanks ,

Adrian
Sir I am searching one mm550, if you want to sale it I am here. Hope it is a army disposed jeep.

If it is 2WD then there is 540dp and if it is 4WD then there is a 540xdp engine friend I also want to buy same jeep can you give me any army jeep dealers number.

Hello friend I have a starting problem in Jeep 540 in cool weather so I've change a new battery but it's still same so I would like to request you all to help me solve it please. Thank you

Sir I am searching one mm550, if you want to sale it I am here. Hope it is a army disposed jeep.

If it is 2WD then there is 540dp and if it is 4WD then there is a 540xdp engine friend I also want to buy same jeep can you give me any army jeep dealers number.
I have Jeep 540 Nagaland registration 1998 if you want.

Hello.
Can anyone guide me on the problem i face in my MM550-XD which has an XDP3 engine. I have water in my radiator, and the side bottle has water filled too but from a few days i have been noticing water loss after driving for about 60-80kms the water from the bottle is lost completely and the radiator loses water too. Any solutions to overcome this? My oil dip-stick has no white material nor water has oil mixed in it in the radiator, the exhaust is also clean with proper black smoke. Any suggestions??

Hi Gearhead,
I don't know the engine type you are talking about. But, assuming that the coolant is not leaking from a hose externally, or water pump or thermostat housing. I expect the problem is a cracked or warped cylinder head. If you are lucky it may only be a damaged cylinder head gasket. Either way you need to get it checked soon. If the problem gets worse coolant may leak faster into a cylinder/cylinders when the engine is stopped (sometimes even with the engine running). Then it will "hydro lock" and bend a con rod or damage a piston. More often than not, if the engine is running faster than tick over the con rod will fail and punch a hole through the cylinder block.
You need to get this checked soon. Start with a pressure test of the cooling system to see if you can identify the leak. The coolant may even be leaking from the heater core. After that take the cylinder head off, the combustion chamber and piston crown will usually be cleaner at the defective cylinder.
Good luck, Neil

Hi Gearhead,
I don't know the engine type you are talking about. But, assuming that the coolant is not leaking from a hose externally, or water pump or thermostat housing. I expect the problem is a cracked or warped cylinder head. If you are lucky it may only be a damaged cylinder head gasket. Either way you need to get it checked soon. If the problem gets worse coolant may leak faster into a cylinder/cylinders when the engine is stopped (sometimes even with the engine running). Then it will "hydro lock" and bend a con rod or damage a piston. More often than not, if the engine is running faster than tick over the con rod will fail and punch a hole through the cylinder block.
You need to get this checked soon. Start with a pressure test of the cooling system to see if you can identify the leak. The coolant may even be leaking from the heater core. After that take the cylinder head off, the combustion chamber and piston crown will usually be cleaner at the defective cylinder.
Good luck, Neil
Hey thanks for the reply. I got it checked i was lucky turned out the problem was damaged cylinder head gasket.

Top Bottom