Mahindra Marazzo: New MUV By Mahindra

Absolutely true. Also, do you think, the variants of Eco Sport which fall in price range of 10-12 Lacs will get to see some competition? Eco Sport being 5 seater.

Regards

Akash
Yeah, at that price range, people looking for a 7-8 seater will have to look beyond the Ecosport

I havent seen the vehicle yet, but from the pics, I like the car, as compared to many other recent Mahindra designs. It looks quite appropriately designed for an MUV.
Has anyone driven the car here? Very curious to try out the body on frame with front wheel drive configuration.
I couldn't find the kerb weight details on the brochure, and I think that is an important factor for this one. The Ertiga is surely underpowered, but I think it would be much lighter, and even though the Marazzo has a higher output, the power to weight would be a more important factor.
The rear legroom looks impressive, and would be a great option for a chauffeur driven car. I can expect the Taxi segment to go for it, but I don't think it will affect the market of Innova or Maruti a lot. There have always been competitors for these cars, but they still sold good numbers due to their brand value and reliability.
Mahindra, though has a great brand value in India now, it would still take a lot to convert the Maruti and Toyota loyalists to consider a newly launched Mahindra car.

* It is not going to compete with the likes of Innova or Hexa

* Height of the vehicle is somewhat close to the TUV-3OO
Except for length, it matches Innova in size. Interior space is better than Innova. I don't see why it can't compete with Innova or Hexa?

Attachments

Seriously looks interesting. Thinking of suggesting this as our next family car, hopefully. :)

Need to check out its interior space as compared to Ertiga.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Except for length, it matches Innova in size. Interior space is better than Innova. I don't see why it can't compete with Innova or Hexa?
See bro, the Marazzo is a good effort by M&M no doubts. However, if they were benchmarking it with the Crysta, then firstly, they should have provided the following to it to make it an even more tempting alternative to these big MPV(s).

1) An option of 4WD in M8

2) Option of AT / AMT

3) Minimum 4 Airbags in M8

4) An engine of 2.0 L Diesel

5) Why will anyone consider an M8 version over an XUV 500 with a bigger engine and far better performance in terms of Power and Torque?

6) When then can give a 2.2L engine in Scorpio and XUV why didn't M&M consider that for the Marazzo and not to forget, M&M did make 1.99L engine too in Diesel for some period of time.

7) A 2.0L diesel engine could have been a worthy competitor to the 2.4D of Crysta

8) Aesthetically, people who'll pay about 15 big ones would like to have basic comforts of Sunroof, electric adjustment of seats etc.

9) Also, Marazzo isn't as cheap too as it might appear to be. Top Spec is about 15L on road so do you think based on the features provided to M8 it is any better to XUV? or Mid Variant Hexa?

10) Hexa XM is also around 15-16L but compare VFM quotient of M8 Marazzo over Hexa XM. Hexa also offers AT in XM version.

So based on above, I feel targeting Innova or Hexa with this one is too much to ask for. But if realistically we assess, Marazzo is definitely a very good option presently over the Ertiga and over priced flopped Captur.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Friends,

My observations on the Mahindra Marazzo MPV

* It is not going to compete with the likes of Innova or Hexa
I think a blanket statement like that may not be correct. Typically buyers cross shop across segments be it any product, especially the immediate above and below segments.

Now Mahindra has been very clever in this regard , positioning it right in between the ertiga and hexa and innova. Our car buying fraternity is still very much driven by the 'kitna deti hai question'.

Marazzo will give more mileage than Hexa or innova, is cheaper than both and can seat seven in comfort.
Ofcourse , its an another matter that the Marazzo cant compete with the hexa on off road ability, but seriously how many buyers are going to take these cars offroad.
Its also another matter that the Marazzo in its current avatar easily passes Indian crash test norms.(Somebody please tell me what that means) and that chassis can be modified/strenthened furthur to pass crash test norms in other regions. Wish Mahindra could clarify on that themselves. I read it in one of the reviews of the Marazzo from a reputed publication.

So from a buyer prespective , it will compete with both , now its upto the marketing team of TATA to differntiate the products and get the message across. Well, as far as Innova goes, what can I say... thou humble people mover in other countries, when will thou be dislodged from your pedestal in India and brought to earth??[roll]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I think a blanket statement like that may not be correct. Typically buyers cross shop across segments be it any product, especially the immediate above and below segments.

Now Mahindra has been very clever in this regard , positioning it right in between the ertiga and hexa and innova. Our car buying fraternity is still very much driven by the 'kitna deti hai question'.
Buddy, Cross shopping isn't an issue but while cross shopping, among other things, what also is an important criteria is the VFM aspect. Top model M8 Marazzo Vs Hexa XM & XMA, you may compare the features and see for yourself that whether the pricing is good or not. This MPV is good alternative to equally priced 5 seater C-SUV and some diesel sedans in that price range alongwith the Ertiga. In comparison to Innova Crysta maybe M&M is hoping high but if a competitive alternative is to be seen then I feel more than Marazzo now the XUV 5OO feels a better deal and VFM. If given a choice, Will you go for a XUV or Marazzo? Had Marazzo got the 2.0L Diesel engine then to an extent I would have agreed that in Innova Crysta 2.4D Vs Marazzo, latter is a suitable VFM competitor.

The sales numbers will show the trend how well is this MPV standing against the competitors. Let us not forget, even the new Ertiga is round the corner so once that also gets launched, it will be clear as to how much share of market is there between these two.

Regards

Akash

Buddy, Cross shopping isn't an issue but while cross shopping, among other things, what also is an important criteria is the VFM aspect. Top model M8 Marazzo Vs Hexa XM & XMA, you may compare the features and see for yourself that whether the pricing is good or not.
The sales numbers will show the trend how well is this MPV standing against the competitors. Let us not forget, even the new Ertiga is round the corner so once that also gets launched, it will be clear as to how much share of market is there between these two.

Regards

Akash
Friend,
I am not saying the Hexa is not value for money, its a great product but somehow Mahindra enjoys much better brand recall among the customers, and that explains why the XUV sells thrice the units of Hexa. Mahindra has built up its reputation with the rugged and reliable Bolero, has lesser legacy issues compared to TATA and therefore the Marazzo will find itself in a much stronger footing straight away. Ultimately its the product that keeps the sales ticking.

Now to your question of whether I would choose the Marazzo over the XUV, with due respect to XUV owners, I would choose the Marazzo given the improvements in ride handling and transmission departments , going by initial reviews. I also prefer the restrained styling of the Marazzo over the cheetah. Ofcourse the product has to be reasonably reliable.
Between Marazzo and HEXA , its a no brainer [:)] but.......T.A.S.S ..OH MY GOD T.A.S.S !

Buddy, Cross shopping isn't an issue but while cross shopping, among other things, what also is an important criteria is the VFM aspect. Top model M8 Marazzo Vs Hexa XM & XMA, you may compare the features and see for yourself that whether the pricing is good or not. This MPV is good alternative to equally priced 5 seater C-SUV and some diesel sedans in that price range alongwith the Ertiga. In comparison to Innova Crysta maybe M&M is hoping high but if a competitive alternative is to be seen then I feel more than Marazzo now the XUV 5OO feels a better deal and VFM. If given a choice, Will you go for a XUV or Marazzo? Had Marazzo got the 2.0L Diesel engine then to an extent I would have agreed that in Innova Crysta 2.4D Vs Marazzo, latter is a suitable VFM competitor.

Regards

Akash
I too agree that Marazoo could have added a few more features, but as it is its still a very good buy
MPVs dont need awd, so the Marazzo is fine on drive train part.
Hexa too has some issues like its an over weight, despite all the HP and torque, I felt Hexa to be strained between 3000-4000 rpm, blame it on the humungous 2 ton kerb weight.
Havent driven Marazzo so will judge how its new power train compliment the chassis.
For someone looking for a long tunning MPV for say a 1 akh kms or running every 3 years or so, they will be absol fine with Marazzo ,
I find it striking a clean balance between the likes of Ertiga,Mobilio,BRV, and the Innova, the Innova and Hexa to be precise, the Innova used to be great value, not anymore, the Hexa is great but with Marazzos interior space and over all feel, I felt its M8 variant felt like a better deal.
The lack of 8 airbags is a sole miss in safety.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mahindra Marazzo MPV petrol, automatic launch confirmed – Rival Toyota Innova Crysta

Mahindra has invested Rs 1,400 crores towards design and development of the Marazzo MPV. Designed by Mahindra teams in USA, Italy and India, the product aims to be a rival to Maruti Ertiga and Toyota Innova Crysta.

Launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.99 lakhs to Rs 13.9 lakhs, ex-showroom, the new Mahindra Marazzo is only offered with a 1.5 liter diesel engine with MT as of now. But, that will change, as Mahindra has plans to launch automatic petrol as well as manual petrol variant in the near future.

Diesel engine makes more sense for large cars, but it is petrol engines which are gaining in demand. Not only they are cheaper as compared to diesel, the rising diesel price in India has reduced the benefits one used to enjoy from a diesel engine car in the past.

mahindra-marazzo-customized-ipad-leather-dc-design-26.jpg

This trend has show automakers to launch new petrol engines for their cars. Mahindra too will launch a new 1.5 liter petrol engine in the future. They aim to launch the Marazzo with petrol engine by April 2020. It will come with manual as well as automatic transmission.

Speaking about Marazzo, initial reaction of consumers and enthusiasts has been impressive. People are surprised at the VFM (value for money) package Marazzo offers, and when the same is compared with Innova, they are left surprised.

Marazzo is being offered in both 7 and 8 seater layouts and gets a host of shark inspired accents. Shark inspired exteriors can be seen in its chrome toothed grille, double barrel headlamps with pilot lamps, eye shaped fog lamps with LED DRLs and large ORVMs. It also gets shark tail inspired tail lamps connected by a thick chrome slat while it sits on 17” alloy wheels.

Interiors are seen in a color scheme of piano black and beige. The top spec Mahindra Marazzo gets a multifunction steering wheel, dual pod instrument cluster and beige colored leather seats. Interiors also include a 7.0” touchscreen infotainment system with cruise control, automatic climate control and Android Auto along with Mahindra Telematics. A notable feature is its roof mounted air conditioning vent system for all round cooling. Seating in the 7 seater Marazzo is with a captain seat in the middle row while the 8 seater variant gets a foldable bench in a 40:20:40 split layout.

Source:

Friend,
Between Marazzo and HEXA , its a no brainer [:)] but.......T.A.S.S ..OH MY GOD T.A.S.S !
Sorry going OT here but,

Well my question haveyou experienced TASS? I know about 50 odd Safari owners who have no problem with TASS. I had very good experience with TASS for last 5 years, so would like you to reconsider your statement. TASS has improved from wht it was years ago. you will find a few lemons here and there, however, on a whole the TASS has improved.

Marazzo launched by mahindra is to fill in the gap between Ertiga, Lodgy,Brv and old Innova pricing affairs which is rightly filled by mahindra.Its a people mover MPV where no buyer of neither Hexa nor Crysta would be looking at going for Marazzo.
Both the vehicles have their potential buyers specifically looking at them and not elsewhere.Mahindra had been working on bringing in their right MPV with right pricing which the first gens innova was.Crysta is all together different game now with pricing and their buyers which has no threat from this new MPV.
I came across a wide range of Marazzo accessories available on the Mahindra M2all mall, quite a good collection and at decent prices too.
https://www.m2all.com/autocare/car-accessories/mahindra-cars/marazzo.html#/page/1

It is good that a manufacturer plans these things in advance so that buyers can get proper accessories too while getting their vehicles.

Last edited:
See bro, the Marazzo is a good effort by M&M no doubts. However, if they were benchmarking it with the Crysta, then firstly, they should have provided the following to it to make it an even more tempting alternative to these big MPV(s).

1) An option of 4WD in M8

2) Option of AT / AMT

3) Minimum 4 Airbags in M8

4) An engine of 2.0 L Diesel

5) Why will anyone consider an M8 version over an XUV 500 with a bigger engine and far better performance in terms of Power and Torque?

6) When then can give a 2.2L engine in Scorpio and XUV why didn't M&M consider that for the Marazzo and not to forget, M&M did make 1.99L engine too in Diesel for some period of time.

7) A 2.0L diesel engine could have been a worthy competitor to the 2.4D of Crysta

8) Aesthetically, people who'll pay about 15 big ones would like to have basic comforts of Sunroof, electric adjustment of seats etc.

9) Also, Marazzo isn't as cheap too as it might appear to be. Top Spec is about 15L on road so do you think based on the features provided to M8 it is any better to XUV? or Mid Variant Hexa?

10) Hexa XM is also around 15-16L but compare VFM quotient of M8 Marazzo over Hexa XM. Hexa also offers AT in XM version.

So based on above, I feel targeting Innova or Hexa with this one is too much to ask for. But if realistically we assess, Marazzo is definitely a very good option presently over the Ertiga and over priced flopped Captur.

Regards

Akash
Not everyone needs AWD/4WD. Some only need people movers to move people in comfort, Innova is the best in class and it doesn't provide one.

AT is a missed opportunity but Mahindra is working on it and will launch later.

Airbags are a bummer, especially when the competition offers them. But some bigger SUVs also offer dual airbags only and that doesn't mean they are demoted to a different segment.

I too wish the 2.2 was offered. Not sure if it can fit into the compact engine bay of Marazzo though. CRV is going launch with 1.6 diesel similar priced UVs offer upto 3.2 liter engines and it won't bring CRV down a segment. Engine is one of main reason for me saying that this car is second best to Innova.

The features you mention do add some snob value but are not necessarily a deal breaker for many. I for one, don't like electric seat adjust without memory function. My driver and I have two extreme positions and it takes forever to adjust. After a few months of buying XUV 509, sunroof has been untouched for months now.

I prefer Marazzo over XUV500, just because it has a spacious third row and much better ride. I don't trust Tata as a brand worth paying over 10 lakhs just yet. All Tata ownership reports indicate service cost to be higher than the competition and also the question about long term reliability remains.

Hexa is probably the best from Tata stable. But there is a reason XUV sells much more than that of Hexa. I feel that would extend here.

My two cents on the Marazzo(and i dont like the name!).

I feel its the most balanced and neutral effort from Mahindra for many many years. It ticks more boxes than it doesn't. For a change Mahindra design isn't overdone, even interiors are pleasant for the money it comes for. Its an extremely smart packaging for the size and very interesting positioning from the pricing perspective.

Mahindra usually does a decent job with engine/gearbox combination - so hoping that is true here as well. Lets also see what they have done with ride quality as that is a sore department for them.

I dont think they should even bother AWD and all that - this is a people mover MPV and should remain so. And more than anything else I do want it to challenge the innova - because its far too long Toyota is grinning with a way too overpriced product and i hate that aspect - so hope all the other MPV/MUVs give it a tougher time. The toyota brand has to be challenged by the likes of Marazzo, Hexa etc.

Only thing to watch out for is the initial Mahindra gremlins - time will tell on that front.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Not everyone needs AWD/4WD. Some only need people movers to move people in comfort, Innova is the best in class and it doesn't provide one.
Fair but if benchmarking to Innova then along with price & space wouldn't it be a good move? Also, in the Mahindra stable if we see, XUV gets AWD then why can't Marazzo too. Agreed that not all need the AWD/4WD but if a brand offers a AWD in XUV then why cant it give it in M8 version. Even if we leave XUV, if Mahindra can give 4WD in S11 Scorpio what stops them to give it in M8 Marazzo.

AT is a missed opportunity but Mahindra is working on it and will launch later.
I hope it doesn't launch later than the new Ertiga. Reason being, MSIL is known to play it's cards well and no matter what, even if priced at premium, Ertiga will be a damn tough competitor to this one.

But some bigger SUVs also offer dual airbags only and that doesn't mean they are demoted to a different segment.
It is not about getting demoted to lower segment it about pricing and feature provision. If at 13-14 Lacs or so Ford provides 6 Airbags to Eco Sport Top model then why didn't Mahindra think on giving atleast 4 in M8? You see, if keep aside the price, just we take the Top model safety for comparison, Innova Crysta, Hexa, Eco Sport all provide 6-7 airbags then why didn't M&M give a thought to that? Even Top Model XUV 5OO gets more than 2 airbags.

CRV is going launch with 1.6 diesel similar priced UVs offer upto 3.2 liter engines and it won't bring CRV down a segment.
As I said, demotion of segment is not the concern. The concern is brands are providing a VFM aspect by downsizing the essentials of the Car/SUV. Anything less than a 2.0L engine on a full size SUV will surely leave a lot of questions in the minds of buyers when at present there are lower segments SUV giving bigger engine and better performance. A good refined 2.0L Diesel engine can definitely make the buyer think before closing the deal. As far as FE is concerned, there is always a difference between figures of ARAI & Real World driving.

Engine is one of main reason for me saying that this car is second best to Innova.
Respected! To me it is only because of the engine that I feel a top spec XUV 5OO with an AT is good competitor to Innova.

The features you mention do add some snob value but are not necessarily a deal breaker for many. I for one, don't like electric seat adjust without memory function. My driver and I have two extreme positions and it takes forever to adjust. After a few months of buying XUV 509, sunroof has been untouched for months now.
See bro, Buyers are different and their needs are different no doubt. But, when the average buyer begins to compare the features among the cars in a specific price range, he or she surely compares the extra features which one brand provides over the other. After buying whether one uses it or not is a personal choice. I bought a Tigor Optional Petrol and in that so far, I have very seldom used the touchscreen, the rear center cup holders and the cooling feature of glove box but that does not mean that TML should omit them from offering in Tigor top end.

I prefer Marazzo over XUV500, just because it has a spacious third row and much better ride.
If from people mover's perspective we see then surely 3rd row space matters. Like the Xylo was being used by Call Centres and Cabs owners. But if I consider it from a personal ownership's point of view, I would say, will all 3 rows up, the boot space gets compromised and it is not fit to accommodate lot of luggage for long trips which family often go for. This issue is pretty much there with most of the 7 seaters. Either one fits 7 pax in the 7 seater by reducing luggage or puts luggage by reducing the number of passengers. About ride quality, I'll say, TML, M&M quite often does a good job in this department and secondly, point of views can be different to some extent among 2 or more people.

I don't trust Tata as a brand worth paying over 10 lakhs just yet. All Tata ownership reports indicate service cost to be higher than the competition and also the question about long term reliability remains.
I respect your viewpoint and believe that to change a perception it definitely takes alot of effort.

Hexa is probably the best from Tata stable. But there is a reason XUV sells much more than that of Hexa. I feel that would extend here.
The low sales volume of Hexa is because of a defined production value i.e a particular number of units to produce. As far as I know, TML is quite happy with the volumes their vehicles are selling in. I feel, a niggle free customer ownership matters more than selling in high volumes. Prior to introduction of Tiago, we all know, the kind of perception generally people had for TML & it's cars and more so, the ARIA didn't fly off the shelves so as a second inning in this segment, TML introduced all new Hexa and possibly also worked out the sales target per month for it. Secondly, Hexa came in quite late as compared to XUV. By 2017, XUV had garnered a lot of buyer base. In a shade over 1.5 Years of Hexa's launch in our market, I feel, it has pretty much lived up to TML's expectations.

I dont think they should even bother AWD and all that - this is a people mover MPV and should remain so. And more than anything else I do want it to challenge the innova - because its far too long Toyota is grinning with a way too overpriced product and i hate that aspect - so hope all the other MPV/MUVs give it a tougher time. The toyota brand has to be challenged by the likes of Marazzo, Hexa etc.
Over confidence of anyone or any brand does not last long. Competition in today's time is surely very very tough in auto industry.

Only thing to watch out for is the initial Mahindra gremlins - time will tell on that front.
[clap]

I am not saying the Hexa is not value for money, its a great product but somehow Mahindra enjoys much better brand recall among the customers, and that explains why the XUV sells thrice the units of Hexa. Mahindra has built up its reputation with the rugged and reliable Bolero, has lesser legacy issues compared to TATA and therefore the Marazzo will find itself in a much stronger footing straight away. Ultimately its the product that keeps the sales ticking.
I would say if it's about the brand recall, then even TML has built a strong one with vehicles like Sierra, Sumo, Safari, Safari Storme. People still have a strong recall of the Safari & Sumo. Yes, I agree, there might be legacy issues in TML however, that did not stop the Safari from being the heartthrob of many enthusiasts during it's time. It did not stop Sierra from becoming a favorite of many earlier in the day. You are correct in saying that a product helps in sales ultimately and same has been the case with TML and M&M. I sincerely wish Marazzo does equally good for M&M. I want that Marazzo should give tough challenge to likes of Ertiga & BR-V etc.

Between Marazzo and HEXA , its a no brainer but.......T.A.S.S ..OH MY GOD T.A.S.S !
I suppose the fly in ointment for you is TASS. Rest assured, being 1st time TML car owner, I am actually happy with the way the servicing has been done for my car. Yes, there are bit of rough edges but at the end those haven't made me wait for roadside assistance in the middle of road so far.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom