Mahindra & Mahindra: The Story Of “Rise”

Re: Mahindra - Rise.

Well,as much I remember the AXE is not a 4X4 vehicle?Correct me if I am wrong.
Also please take some time in finding and mentioning the specs of the AXE if possible.That's a humble request as I myself was unable to find it myself.

Thread Starter #17

Well,as much I remember the AXE is not a 4X4 vehicle?Correct me if I am wrong.
Also please take some time in finding and mentioning the specs of the AXE if possible.That's a humble request as I myself was unable to find it myself.
The Axe is a 4x4, not available in 4x2.

Specs -

2696 cc 5 cyl diesel engine
173 bhp @ 4000 rpm
346 Nm @ 1800 rpm
4400 mm length
1980 mm height
305/70 R16 tyres
5 speed A/T gearbox
2500 kgs kerb weight

Thread Starter #19

Mahindra = Soul
Mahindra = Attitude
Mahindra = Passion
Mahindra = Off Road
Mahindra = Trust
Mahindra = Pride
Mahindra = Ruggedness
Mahindra = Durability
Mahindra = Toughness
Mahindra = 4x4

Mahindra = Rise.

P.S.: Pics sourced from Google.

Attachments

Thread Starter #20

i was thinking you will create such thread hehe .

thanks for giving so much information .
I understood what you meant! Look at the post dates- this thread was made first & later gimmicked!

Some more pics -

Attachments

Last edited:

@raj bhai sorry about that didn't saw date :redface:

must say amazing set pic collection you have raj [clap]

poor rang rover being pulled by thar haha . no matter how expensive or cheap is car if it has to stuck it will

My wish if only safari design was made by mahindra not tata

I wish Mahindra will launch Mini XYLO with 4X4 option. Then it will be Sone pe Suahaga [cheers]. It will be winner in its own segment (not explored much after Gypsy).

Thread Starter #24

Wow the 1st pic of Thar 4X4.

Loved the Scorpio's in those slush.

Thar on air.....
I have always wanted to have a 4x4 Mahindra. For some reason or the other, we could never buy one. When we bought the mHawk, the 4x4 variant was not launched.

One day I will buy a used 4x4 Thar or Bolero or Getaway.

@raj bhai sorry about that didn't saw date :redface:
Arre, its okay man! Dont be so formal!

must say amazing set pic collection you have raj [clap]
Thank you.

poor rang rover being pulled by thar haha . no matter how expensive or cheap is car if it has to stuck it will
From what I have learnt from experts, off roading is all about driver's skill. a good driver in a thar can easily conquer the terrain whereas a bad driver in a LR can get stuck.

My wish if only safari design was made by mahindra not tata
Mahindra can never make such classy designs, that is not in their genes!

I wish Mahindra will launch Mini XYLO with 4X4 option. Then it will be Sone pe Suahaga [cheers]. It will be winner in its own segment (not explored much after Gypsy).
Mini xylo is targetted more at the hatchback buyer. It will be in the Premier Rio segment, so I doubt Mahindra will launch it with 4x4.

More so, since in the Indian market, the Xylo does not have 4x4.

Thread Starter #25

After having bought some radical changes & introducing many firsts in the segment, Mahindra soon launched the Scorpio Automatic.

Apart from being the first diesel Automatic below 18 lakhs, it is also the country's first A/T diesel SUV, not considering the high end SUVs. Also, they launched it with a 4x4 soon, making it the first & only 4x4 diesel A/T SUV in that segment. Till date, it has no competitors.

Also, it is a 6 speed box & not a compromised 4 speed box (25 lakh fortuner is going to be launched with a 4 speed A/T). It has a winter mode to reduce wheelspins in slippery conditions & a 'M' mode which is equivalent to sports mode.

The six-speed transmission is completely sealed so that it does not require an oil change for an entire lifetime. It is competitively priced at Rs. 10.62 lakh making it cheaper than even the Safari & Innova's manual transmission top end variant. The Scorpio 4x4 A/T top end is cheaper than the safari 4x4 M/T by more than a lakh.

0-100 kmph as tested by ACI is 15.39 seconds, which is about half a second off the manual’s time. It goes on to a top speed of 157kph. Fuel efficiency measured was 9.0kpl and 13.2kpl for our city and highway cycles respectively. The manual mhawk returns 10.6kpl and 13.6kpl for the same cycles, as per ACI.

Thread Starter #27

The Scorpio Saga -

Since the day the Scorpio was launched, it was a runaway success. BUT, Mahindra has never rested on it's laurels & have always strived to make the product better & better. Every year, we saw some on the other update on the Scorpio, as shown below -

2002 - The Scorpio was launched. It looked gorgeous, had one of the most powerful engines in the business and cost less than its competitors.
The Scorpio was awarded "Car of the Year" by CNBC-Autocar, Business Standard Motoring and BBC World Wheels.

It had a DI Turbo-intercooled diesel engine designed in collaboration with AVL, Austria with 109 bhp, 2600 cc.

2003 - In 2003, the Scorpio got a SZ2600 Plus DI engine. This engine used a chain to drive the camshaft rather than gears. This made the engine quieter, smoother and more economical. The interior too got a makeover with new dual-tone fire-resistant upholstery and a six-vent AC.

2004 - In 2004, came the Scorpio SLX. The Scorpio got a two-tone exterior as well as a two-tone grey and beige interior. The centre console now had a matt-wood finish. What was truly revolutionary was the Voice-Assist system that welcomed the driver as soon as the door was opened and voiced a warning if the parking brake was engaged, fuel and oil levels were low, engine temperature was abnormal, if any door was partially open or the passengers forgot to strap in. This was India's first talking car!

2005 - In March 2005, The Scorpio engine came in for its first major upgrade, gaining a common-rail direct-injection system. The Scorpio was rebadged as the Scorpio CRDe. The new engine pushed up the Scorpio's power to 115bhp. The new engine was quieter, more refined, smoother, quicker and more fuel efficient. Scorpio CRDe was the first Indian car with COMMON RAIL DIESEL engine.

- The new improved Scorpio with 43 new features was launched. Apart from the mechanical changes, the new Scorpio got a serious cosmetic makeover as well. Some of the key changes were:

5-zone Cushion Suspension
Tower tail lights
Sliding middle seat row
Sporty bonnet scoop
Illuminating rear spoiler
'Follow me home' headlamps
Theater style interior lighting
Tiltable Steering
Sporty ski racks

- The Scorpio mHawk was launched in November 2007. The engine was now 2179cc but generated a pacy 120bhp. It was significantly lighter, quicker, smoother and also more frugal. The Scorpio also introduced ABS in keeping with changing consumer needs. The high-tech engine was complemented by a basket of high-tech features like steering mounted audio controls, intelligent rain-sensing wipers, light sensors, 'Tyre-Tronics' - the tyre pressure and temperature monitoring system, 'Intellipark' - reverse park assist, an engine immobilizer and cruise control. The mHawk Engine was a runaway success. Acknowledging its popularity, M&M worked on standardising this engine across the various variants. Today the mHawk powers most of the Scorpio range.

June 2007, saw the launch of the Scorpio's global lifestyle variant, the Scorpio Getaway in India. Based on the Scorpio platform, it sports a grand deck to carry all the equipment and gear that customers' lifestyle demands. The Getaway is powered by the popular 115bhp CRDe engine and also available in 4WD to make it a go-anywhere vehicle.

- September 2008 saw yet another offering - the Scorpio Automatic - which came as a boon to people in urban India, plagued by the miseries of traffic snarls and the constant 'clutch-brake' syndrome. In fact, Scorpio was the first in its segment to offer a fully automatic six-speed gearbox. The Scorpio Automatic came with in-built, intelligent driving modes to tackle various driving conditions with ease, giving customers the benefit of gearless, effortless driving.

- From the time the Scorpio was launched, it has always been ahead of its game. 2009 was not going to be any different the Scorpio Refresh was launched. The most telling change to the exteriors was to the front end. It sported a new grille. There was a smarter new bonnet scoop and the front bumper looked like it had been chiseled off a Greek god's biceps. It also got Bluevision bulbs designed to take the stress out of night driving. The chunky, pull-type door handles, new side cladding and the integrated footstep on the rear bumper rounded up the facelift. The most important addition was the introduction of dual airbags in the front to complement the Scorpio's ABS. The Scorpio also got the innovative Micro-Hybrid system. The interiors too got more goodies. The Scorpio now had a swanky new 2-DIN audio system with CD, MP3, SD card and USB drive. It also got Bluetooth connectivity, plus power mirrors along with new dual-tone upholstery and a new gear lever. The twin-pod instrument system too was new. Its BS IV compliant variant adheres to the latest Indian emission standards. The Micro Hybrid technology limits the consumption of fuel, helps reduce pollution and therefore, conserve the environment.

Source - www.mahindrascorpio.com

Thread Starter #28

Mahindra's Engineering Prowess -

Scorpio Hybrid - In a world where green house emissions are increasingly putting pressure on the ecology, the importance of moving to alternative fuel technologies is paramount. Keeping this in mind, Mahindra has focused its research & development to this area.
Across fuel platforms, be it CNG, HCNG, bio-diesel, hydro-electric, electric or hydrogen, M&M has been steadfastly working towards developing sustainable and viable vehicles to meet tomorrow's needs.
This endeavour has already shown real results with the development of the world's first hydrogen powered 3-wheeler, India's first diesel-electric hybrid vehicle, a Scorpio driven on bio-diesel, as well as a range of CNG and HCNG vehicles. The company remains determined to tackle the fuel challenge of the future, and continue in the path of developing superior, environmentally friendly technologies and vehicles.

Scorpio Bio-Diesel - Mahindra & Mahindra has been one of the pioneers in India in the sphere of bio-diesel fuel. It was one of the first automotive companies to set up a bio-diesel pilot plant way back in 2001. Since then, through advanced research and development, in addition to strategic partnerships, M&M has successfully developed three bio-diesel vehicles: the B10, B20, and B100 on Mahindra's Scorpio and Bolero vehicles.
The B100 Scorpio was the first vehicle in its class in all of Southeast Asia to run on 100% bio-diesel. These vehicles have been rigorously tested over 100,000 km long field trials in the most challenging conditions throughout India. From the vast deserts of Rajasthan, to the Himalayan mountain ranges in Kashmir, to flooded monsoon terrains, these eco-friendly vehicles have stood up admirably to all challenges.
The next step: launching commercially-ready bio-diesel vehicles. Mahindra's dedicated team of engineers is currently working on this task, and viable bio-diesel vehicles from Mahindra will soon be ready to take to the roads.

Scorpio Hydro Electric - In the arena of hybrid electric vehicles (HEV), Mahindra has been leading from the front as well. It was the first to showcase India's first HEV at the Delhi Auto Show 2006. Its diesel-electric hybrid Scorpio is a shining example of Mahindra's expertise when it comes to alternate fuel technologies. It is a frontrunner in this field, and is working on hybrid vehicles on multiple platforms with algorithms of varying complexities. At present, Mahindra is aggressively pursuing this technology to generate hybrid vehicles ready for commercial sale, thus remaining the hybrid vehicle leader in India.

Thread Starter #29

The awards the SCORPIO won -

- Auto Bild India Golden Steering Wheel for Technology of the Year
- Bronze medal at the International SAPPI awards for "The Legend of Scorpio" coffee table book

- Best Off -Roader Vehicle of the Year 2009 Award, from Carwale.com.
- Environment Initiative of the Year 2009 Award, for start-stop technology, from Carwale.com.
- Green Award for the Scorpio M2DI Micro Hybrid at the annual NDTV Profit Car and Bike Awards.
-Best Innovation Award at the UTVi-Autocar Awards 2009. Mahindra received the award for its path-breaking MicroHybrid FuelSmart system for Scorpio VLX, M2DI and Bolero SLX BS3 variants in the Indian market.

- CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2007 for 'Development and Commercialization of Scorpio'. Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh gave away the award at a function in New Delhi on December 20, 2008.
- TNS 'The Voice of the Customer' Award.
- Renowned market research firm IMRB, ranks Scorpio in the highest level in its 'Olympic' category, second year in a row. It is the only four-wheeler from the automobile segment in the Olympic category.

- TNS Voice of the Customer Award SUV-MPV Segment
- Diamond Jubilee Technology Award for "Development & commercialization of Scorpio"
- Golden Peacock Award for Innovative Product / Services in the automobile segment.
- Renowned market research firm IMRB, ranks Scorpio in the highest level in its 'Olympic' category. It is the only four-wheeler from the automobile segment in the Olympic category.
- CNB-AAA Creative Print Campaign of the Year 2007. CNB-AAA Awards are showcased in the NDTV Profit's highly acclaimed 'Car and Bike' and "All About Ads" shows.

- 'Best Travel Companion' Award.
- Best Creative Print Campaign (NDTV Car and Bike Awards)
- Golden Peacock Product Innovation Award by IOD
- NID Business World Design Excellence Award

- Winner of 'Brand Derby' by Business Standard for the most successful brand launch.
- Winner of 'Best SUV in Total Customer Satisfaction' in the SUV segment in NFO Automotive's Total Customer Satisfaction Study.
- SP Jain Marketing Impact Award

- National Award for R&D 2003 in recognition of Mahindra's pioneering R&D efforts, which culminated in the indigenously engineered and highly successful vehicle, the Scorpio.
- 'Car of the Year' Award from Business Standard Motoring
- 'Best SUV of the Year' award from BBC on Wheels
- 'Best Car of the Year' award from BBC on Wheels
- 'Car of the Year' award' from CNBC Autocar
- Indian Express Award for Excellence in Marketing & Brand Building
- 'Launch of the Year' Award, India Leadership Summit
- EMVIES Award by Bombay Ad club for Innovation on Radio, for live coverage of Scorpio Launch Cavalcade
- EFFIE Award by Bombay Ad club for advertising effectiveness for Scorpio launch
- Winner of 'Brand Derby' by Business Standard for Most Successful Brand of 2003
- Subject of case study in Harvard Business School
- Scorpio Overdrive NFO Automotive Study
- Most successful brand launch of 2003
- Car of the Year
- BBC World Wheels
- CNBC Autocar
- Business Standard Motoring

The second last pic of the Mahindra car which is captured while in the air is awesome. When I was kid may be 12-13, me and few frnds decided when we grow up we will buy Mahindra Classic which comes in Red color. But we were never able to. But I still like Mahindra Classic. :-)

Nice Pics Raj. [clap][thumbsup]

Top Bottom