Mahindra KUV100 NXT (K4+ Petrol): Ownership Review

Thread Starter #91
The wheel will be replaced this weekend. In the meantime, the battery died just after one year (the stock battery was Exide) and unfortunately just out of warranty. I had a few warning signs of this last month, when the car refused to cold-start one early morning (it was cold and raining which probably didn't help either). Then last week, the car refused to start when my father wanted to take it out and had to push-start again. Subsequently again it failed to start. When my father took it to the local battery shop, he found that some of the cells had died and battery's voltage was down. Hence, I have now got it replaced with an Amaron battery which was suggested as long-lasting. Sad that the stock manufacturer fitted battery is of such poor quality. Will definitely bring it to the attention of the Mahindra ASS.

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member
Stock battery would be non-maintenance free type and they won't bother checking specific gravity or adding distilled water at services causing their early demise. I was shocked when many claimed running OEM battery for 6-7 years and none of my OE lasted more than 2 years. The key was checking condition every 3 months for non-MF. I never bought a non-MF type in my life. Maintenance free - fit it forget it, replace it at the expiry data aka the warranty period. There are some idiots who adds water in MF battery and screw them royally, mention specifically at time of service not to.

The wheel will be replaced this weekend. In the meantime, the battery died just after one year (the stock battery was Exide) and unfortunately just out of warranty. I had a few warning signs of this last month, when the car refused to cold-start one early morning (it was cold and raining which probably didn't help either). Then last week, the car refused to start when my father wanted to take it out and had to push-start again. Subsequently again it failed to start. When my father took it to the local battery shop, he found that some of the cells had died and battery's voltage was down. Hence, I have now got it replaced with an Amaron battery which was suggested as long-lasting. Sad that the stock manufacturer fitted battery is of such poor quality. Will definitely bring it to the attention of the Mahindra ASS.
Could you mention what model you had on your vehicle .There are basic and then long lasting variants of the battery .My previous exide on the T-fort lasted for 6.5 years ! Almost thrice the expected life of a maintainence battery

bhvm

Honoured Member
The oem on my Xuv lasted a good 6-7 years. The key was checking water & charge level Every month. Flooded batteries last longer than sealed ones when looked after.

Well said @deville_56 bro
Just a point of addition , after 2 years from installation date , just check for level (don't top up the water from service centre ) , take it to the authorised shop . In my case my OEM lasted exactly 4 years , which was an Amaron .
My Glistening Grey Maruti Suzuki Swift Reborn ZXi (2015) AKA Grey Beast

My present one is SF sonic , which has indicator in it , thereby what my dealer told was , only if its colour changes , it needs top up .

Another reason , which I had mentioned already why stock batteries become dead soon is , they usually fit low MAH ones than required MAH.

Thread Starter #97
Could you mention what model you had on your vehicle .There are basic and then long lasting variants of the battery .My previous exide on the T-fort lasted for 6.5 years ! Almost thrice the expected life of a maintainence battery
Unfortunately my dad had got the battery exchanged before I came back from my official tour so I did not get the details of the old battery.

With regard to the wheel, the local tyre repair shop mechanic suggested to beat it back into shape and keep it as spare since steel rims are tough and can take some abuse. He said, had it been Alloy, it would not be usable and I would need to buy new.

Initially he tried fitting some other spare steel rims of same size which he had, but none of them fitted properly (the wheel nuts were out of position). For now I have taken his idea and using the spare tyre now since new original Mahindra wheel rim costs Rs. 1500/- + labour. The mechanic said the damaged wheel was fixable and he got the tinker shop to straighten the edges. Total cost Rs. 450/-.

Thread Starter #98
Done around 17800 kms recently. Here are some pics:
2019-09-29 12.59.23.jpg

Odometer at 17771 km
2019-09-30 22.20.08.jpg

It's been only a year and 3 months (Bought on July 2018.).

So far, issues noticed:

1. Mileage is poor in city driving conditions hovering around 10-11 km/l
2. Even with AC on there is some smell from outside, even with the re-circulation mode on.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #99
I am planning to get a single DIN modern music system to replace the ageing Alpine system which has aleady seen 3 cars in its time and which has only a CD player (no AUX, no USB nothing). I am looking to keep the budget within 2.5-5K (speakers not required, since I already have perfectly good speakers).

Looking for a system with ideally bluetooth connectivity for phone call and also audio playing. Suggestions welcome.

deville_56

Honoured Member
I am planning to get a single DIN modern music system to replace the ageing Alpine system which has aleady seen 3 cars in its time and which has only a CD player (no AUX, no USB nothing). I am looking to keep the budget within 2.5-5K (speakers not required, since I already have perfectly good speakers).

Looking for a system with ideally bluetooth connectivity for phone call and also audio playing. Suggestions welcome.
There are lot of models from Pioneer, JVC and Sony. Check personally at some shop, felt newer Pioneer models flimsy and they don't entertain warranty for online purchases. JVC got some great models, but newer models hard to find online.

Thread Starter #102
Today I had gone to office on my two wheeler and when I came home, I was in for a surprise.

Even as I was contemplating the music system, my mom and dad gifted me this Pioneer MVH-S 219BT for my upcoming birthday.

2019-10-04 20.50.36.jpg

Must say it was unexpected and a pleasant surprise. [music][music]

Thread Starter #103
Today an arrogant autorichshaw deliberately (I think) scratched the front bumper and though I got angry initially found that it wasn't deeply scratched, only the autorickshaw's paint had made marks on the bumper and some damage to the silver sticker surrounding the fog lamp. I then bought this scratch removal formula at a shop in Walajah Road (near Woods road).
2019-10-10 18.48.04.jpg

It did a good job though I was not very confident (sorry didn't take the before picture for the car, out of oversight):
2019-10-10 18.48.20.jpg

As you can see almost nothing is found of the yellow marks.

Also for my Hero Maestro edge scooter I tried removing some scratches. Except the deep scratches most of the scratches got removed:

Before:
2019-10-10 19.50.41.jpg

After:
2019-10-10 19.59.12.jpg

Partially successful with a few other scratches (deep ones where paint is chipped or damaged cannot be fixed)

Before
2019-10-10 19.53.15.jpg

After:
2019-10-10 19.58.56.jpg

Today an arrogant autorichshaw deliberately (I think) scratched the front bumper and though I got angry initially found that it wasn't deeply scratched, only the autorickshaw's paint had made marks on the bumper and some damage to the silver sticker surrounding the fog lamp. I then bought this scratch removal formula at a shop in Walajah Road (near Woods road).
View attachment 264394

It did a good job though I was not very confident (sorry didn't take the before picture for the car, out of oversight):
View attachment 264395

As you can see almost nothing is found of the yellow marks.

Also for my Hero Maestro edge scooter I tried removing some scratches. Except the deep scratches most of the scratches got removed:

Before:
View attachment 264396

After:
View attachment 264397

Partially successful with a few other scratches (deep ones where paint is chipped or damaged cannot be fixed)

Before
View attachment 264398

After:
View attachment 264399
Most of these are temporary fixes, these marks will reappear during the course of time.
This is my experience, hope I'm proved wrong.

Thread Starter #105
Most of these are temporary fixes, these marks will reappear during the course of time.
This is my experience, hope I'm proved wrong.
Can you let me know what product you tried? This one is a whitish paste with a pleasant smell which I apply on clean cloth and rub on the affected area. I think (hope) the light scratches (i.e. paint marks) are gone for good. But the deep ones cannot be removed and are only slightly faded. Hope they don't resurface.

Where paint itself is damaged, nothing can be done except to repaint, which will cost a lot more.

Top Bottom