Mahindra KUV100 NXT (K4+ Petrol): Ownership Review

Done the 2nd free service at 9860 kms (10000 km service) at VST Motors (India Garage) and it costed around 3297/-. I was wondering why they billed so much when I found that they did an "engine protection coating" for Rs. 799 without my approval and I am annoyed about it. Since today is a Sunday I am unable to raise this issue. But I want to bring it to their attention that they cannot do "Extras" without my approval next time. By the way, is the engine protection coating really of much use or is it just a fancy padding for the bill? I want to give the SA a piece of my mind for doing such work without getting my approval first. Since it is financial year ending I think they are doing such things to boost revenues, but it appears to be a highly unethical action on the part of an authorized dealer.
This is highly unethical and 2nd free service cost is high. I thought Renault dealers do this. Surprise to see others also doing. If engine oil was not replaced then its just ridiculous. Compared to this my Tiago's 2nd free service costed me Rs. 0. Third free service which included engine oil change was charged only Rs. 1100 that too for the oil which was changed in front of me. I never knew Tatas were so cheap to maintain (if you get a good asc)

Thread Starter #47
This is highly unethical and 2nd free service cost is high. I thought Renault dealers do this. Surprise to see others also doing. If engine oil was not replaced then its just ridiculous. Compared to this my Tiago's 2nd free service costed me Rs. 0. Third free service which included engine oil change was charged only Rs. 1100 that too for the oil which was changed in front of me. I never knew Tatas were so cheap to maintain (if you get a good asc)
I will share the bill copy here. Please give your feedback. I think being March, and financial year end, these people are busy thinking of ways to boost revenues at the last moment.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Done the 2nd free service at 9860 kms (10000 km service) at VST Motors (India Garage) and it costed around 3297/-. I was wondering why they billed so much when I found that they did an "engine protection coating" for Rs. 799 without my approval
The 2nd Free Service is costing Rs.3297/-? Totally unrealistic. I have done 1st & 2nd services on my Tigor and the Bill was Rs.0 (of course no oil change). Why the engine suddenly required 'protection coating' and a service center do it without taking permission from the car Owner? It is simply a money making (or call it ''looting'') business and nothing else.

Hope you have already settled the bill.? Anyway, suggestwrite an email complaint to them with a copy to Mahindra and ask for an explanation and possibly a refund of the amount paid for Paint coating !

Thread Starter #49
The 2nd Free Service is costing Rs.3297/-? Totally unrealistic. I have done 1st & 2nd services on my Tigor and the Bill was Rs.0 (of course no oil change). Why the engine suddenly required 'protection coating' and a service center do it without taking permission from the car Owner? It is simply a money making (or call it ''looting'') business and nothing else.

Hope you have already settled the bill.? Anyway, suggestwrite an email complaint to them with a copy to Mahindra and ask for an explanation and possibly a refund of the amount paid for Paint coating !
Yes, I settled the bill since I did not want to make a fuss. But I am planning to write to Mahindra regarding this blatant rip off. I was tired on that day and just wanted to bring the car back home. But definitely I plan to take up this issue. In fact, I just submitted the feedback form in the india-garage website expressing my dissatisfaction. Let me see if I get a response.

Last edited:
this engine protection could be some spray which was just applied on the plastics and wouldn't matter in the long run !if that was the case they should be more concerned with what goes inside to prolong the life and do an oil change instead which actually would prove more useful in the life of the engine .High time the service personnel stop deciding things for themselves ! make it clear to them that you wouldn't pay for anything more than what is recommended in the service booklet /approved by you.

Thread Starter #51
this engine protection could be some spray which was just applied on the plastics and wouldn't matter in the long run !if that was the case they should be more concerned with what goes inside to prolong the life and do an oil change instead which actually would prove more useful in the life of the engine .High time the service personnel stop deciding things for themselves ! make it clear to them that you wouldn't pay for anything more than what is recommended in the service booklet /approved by you.
The service manager of India Garage called me this morning and offered sincere apologies when I told him of this. First he started explaining the benefits of engine coating ,but I cut him short and said that, whatever may be the merits / demerits of the actual coating, it should not have been done without my prior approval since it is an additional charge. I got him to admit that it is not part of the free service. Then how can they simply do it. He assured me that it would not happen next time and told me that he would ensure that no other customer is also charged like this. I hope he takes it seriously, otherwise next time I will escalate to Mahindra.

Done the 2nd free service at 9860 kms (10000 km service) at VST Motors (India Garage) and it costed around 3297/-. I was wondering why they billed so much when I found that they did an "engine protection coating" for Rs. 799 without my approval and I am annoyed about it. Since today is a Sunday I am unable to raise this issue. But I want to bring it to their attention that they cannot do "Extras" without my approval next time. By the way, is the engine protection coating really of much use or is it just a fancy padding for the bill? I want to give the SA a piece of my mind for doing such work without getting my approval first. Since it is financial year ending I think they are doing such things to boost revenues, but it appears to be a highly unethical action on the part of an authorized dealer.
Engine Protection Coating is a liquid sprayed on the complete Engine bay which leaves a very high Glossy look to the bay.
It protects the Engine from Dusts and Rat bites.

Firstly, is your engine bay sparkling and shining after the the treatment?
If YES, then atleast they have done the treatment.
If NO, take them to the cleaners,complain to the highest Authority with an explanation and Compensation.

And Secondly,
Of course they cannot just add any services to your bill and charge it to you, without your consent. Its the basics for any Service Centres.
You have to mail a letter to higher authority and ask for compensation.

Thread Starter #55
Engine Protection Coating is a liquid sprayed on the complete Engine bay which leaves a very high Glossy look to the bay.
It protects the Engine from Dusts and Rat bites.

Firstly, is your engine bay sparkling and shining after the the treatment?
If YES, then atleast they have done the treatment.
If NO, take them to the cleaners,complain to the highest Authority with an explanation and Compensation.

And Secondly,
Of course they cannot just add any services to your bill and charge it to you, without your consent. Its the basics for any Service Centres.
You have to mail a letter to higher authority and ask for compensation.
Yes, the job was done. The engine bay looked quite shiny and glittering. But yes, I am planning to take it up seriously.
This is shameful. He should have offered you refund atleast.
Yes, they should have. But I did not raise a fuss this time. But it is in my mind to take it up at the time of next service. They will get to know that I remember these things and will be more careful not to mess with me.
nice mahindra kuv 100 nxt was on my list but it did not have amt so i settled for ignis, however kuv 100 nxt has lots of space and looks quite beefy.
Yes, it has good space and has a tall stance, which is quite comfortable especially for 6 footer like me. That is part of the reason I bought it. Also though not automatic, the gear shifting is extremely good - considering the position and the armrest makes it almost effortless (almost, clutch still has to be used). In the city, this car glides smoothly enough though. On highways, I find that I can do about 100 kmph comfortably but I keep it around 90-100 for fuel economy.

Thread Starter #58
Recently did a trip to Salem again and the mileage was good in the highway but remained poor in city conditions. In pure highway driving I estimate that I get between 17-19 kmpl and in city between 10.5 - 11 kmpl. So in mixed conditions (as per tank fill to tank fill) I have got between 14.5 - 16.5 kmpl.

I am not happy with city mileage but it is difficult to find out what causes such a massive drop in mileage in city conditions (I drive conservatively and not even in bumper-to-bumper traffic most times).

Thread Starter #59
As per my mileage log recently:

Chennai City driving -
182 kms - 17.24 litres - mileage returned 10.5 kmpl

city + National highway driving - (Chennai salem and around 80-90 kms inside Salem)
415 kms - 24.83 litres - mileage returned 16.71 kmpl

Again in mixed State highway + villages driving with 5 people on board
237 kms - 18.05 litres - mileage returned 13.13 kmpl

Again in mixed State highway + National Highway driving
356 kms - 24.18 litres - mileage returned 14.72 kmpl

So I think the best mileage was returned when I drove maximum in NH roads and a bit in city.

As per my mileage log recently:

Chennai City driving -
182 kms - 17.24 litres - mileage returned 10.5 kmpl

city + National highway driving - (Chennai salem and around 80-90 kms inside Salem)
415 kms - 24.83 litres - mileage returned 16.71 kmpl

Again in mixed State highway + villages driving with 5 people on board
237 kms - 18.05 litres - mileage returned 13.13 kmpl

Again in mixed State highway + National Highway driving
356 kms - 24.18 litres - mileage returned 14.72 kmpl

So I think the best mileage was returned when I drove maximum in NH roads and a bit in city.
Are you filling full tank always? Otherwise its not possible to determine the correct mileage. Use some app like Fuelio, always fill full tank till auto cut (never fill more than autocut else your mileage will be incorrect). Are these figures with 100% AC usage? In that case city mileage is little less but highway mileage is decent.

Top Bottom