Mahindra Duro - The Power Scooter!

Thread Starter #1
My wife wanted to gift a new gear less scooter to her father as a surprise. As you guys know, we have plenty of options available now, like:

- Honda (Activa, Aviator)
- Suzuki Access 125
- Mahindra (Duro, Rodeo)

It was easier to eliminate Aviator based on some of the owners feedback. Suzuki Access 125 was even simpler to remove from the list for following reasons:

1. The dealer in Calicut - Kerala offers no test drive. What ever they have, you are supposed to buy with out any preview.
  2. The entire showroom was so arrogant that I felt myself as if I am there to brow a big amount of cash from them.
  3. They even didn't bothered to attend any of the customers (including me) for at least the first 15 minutes.
Honda Activa DLX was our choice, despite its 4 months long waiting period (for black color). However, all turned upside down when we entered to the Mahindra 2 Wheeler showroom - Panama Motors.

The showroom was just 20 days old. The dealership was too premature that they didn't had a photocopier machine or a credit / debit card felicity arranged. Sadly, there was no drinking water felicity arranged too. They are still just getting started up.

However the staff was really good in attending all the customers, explaining each and every details of the vehicles. The involvement of the personals made us to listen to them patiently. Both the Duro and Rodeo where on display with various color options.

Test Drive:

I agree to the fact that Duro is a copy of god old NOVA. However, Mahindra has done a great job with this scooter. The engine is excellent (its the same 125cc, 8bhp engine for both the models). I tested both the models in uphill roads and was really impressed by the pulling power. Both Duro and Rodeo are unique in their respective aspects. To summarize:

Duro: For family use and users who likes wide body, roomy platform and big storage areas.

Rodeo: For youngsters / ladies / and for those who likes peppy driving.

After much thought and calculation we decided to go for Duro inmetalic dark brown color. We will get the vehicle next week. In fact the the dealership was ready to give the delivery the next day as our color was there in stock. But due to personal reasons we pushed the delivery to next week.

I will update more on this scooter soon.

PS: The dealership personals were always asking whether we need some thing to drink as they can order it from near by cool bar. They also apologized for the inconvenience caused as its a fresh set up. I think, this pushed all the customers (including us) to a comfortable zone.

Last edited:
Nice reviw Shynish.

I think you had met good guys to mahindra dealership. If the person is informed and polite, i am sure customers will come to them. Facilities are next.

I have not see any Duro on road, will wait for your pictures, when you have.

Hey Great to hear Shynish!

Congratz on your new ride.

I should say its an nice choice. I badly hate honda for the worst waiting period ever!

But Suzuki in Chennai was good, sad to here your experience with those guys.

Try writing to the higher authorities & get that showroom closed. Its better not to have a dealer rather than spoiling the name of such a nice brand!

I hope you are the first owner of Mahindra 2 wheeler here & you deserve the credits!

Expecting the ownership report soon.

Would love to hear the feedback on a new product from a new (?!!) 2W manufacturer!!

Thread Starter #6
Due to some personal problems, I am away from internet for while and was not able to update on this too.

We took the delivery of our Duro on 11th after noon. The dealer service was excellent and everything was on time. However the dealer told me that M&M has increased the price for Duro and Rodeo by Rs.2500 , w.e.f 15 Jan 2010. I will post the pictures soon.

As I mentioned earlier, the SYM engine in Duro is really good. This is realy a power scooter and M&M claims. You can feel the power especially when you are in the signals and want to push hard when it is green [:)]. Huge storage space under the seat is perfect and is really useful. I will summarize my observations below:

2. Large storage space
3. Powerful head and tail lamps.
4. Nice indicator lights.
5. Highest ground clearance
6. Longest wheelbase
7. Comfortable seats.

Dislikes:
1. Bad positioning of left side mirror.
2. M&M logo in the front is of poor quality.
3. The lock and security system could have been the same as in Rodeo.
4. Front suspension is not that good (compared to Rodeo)

Not sure:
1. Fuel efficiency

Last edited:
Dislikes:
1. Bad positioning of left side mirror.
How tall are you??
At 6'1'', I find the mirror positioning on most 2 wheelers inadequate for good rear visibility, and I normally have to manhandle the mountings on my bikes to get to a comfortable position.
Worst case, bend the stay a bit. And a word of advice when you are doing that, use a wide pipe wrench and use cloth in between, unless you want bite marks and paint scratches on the stay ... I did that once!!

Congrats for your new purchase. We all are eagerly waiting for some pics of your DURO.

Hey congrats on your new ride! Waiting for some pics of the ride now! And if you can give a proper detailed ownership report soon then maybe i can recommend others to buy Mahindra Scooters![:)]

Thread Starter #11
Unfortunately, I had to travel back to Copenhagen with in three days of purchase and during those days, I was compeltely with my father (expired) (who was hospitalized then). I will write the complete review and put the pictures by end of this month, when I am in India [:)]

Thread Starter #13
Yes, K. Nova was 135 cc. Still it failed to score due to poor performance. However, SYM engine in Duro is doing a great job. You will feel the difference as soon as you give the throttle. Its really a powerful scooter, and based on my experience the response is better than Activa.

it’s a nice scooter. According to the reviews I have heard it gives you a mileage of 40-45 kmpl. Post some pics pls and a review. I hope you must be enjoying your ride.

Top Bottom