Mahinda Xylo D2 - The Basic Family Mover

Thread Starter #1
When I landed in Patna, Dad gave me the shocking news that we need a car for office purposes. I was obviously very happy that finally we have our own car in Patna because until now, we used my uncle’s Manza. Dad claims it is for “office purpose” but its more like for us. I was also very happy that finally I will get a chance to TD some cars in India. So I asked Dad that what cars he has shortlisted. He said that he has shortlisted a few and that he is going to take me for TD session in the Xylo. So on the 26th, 4 people went to the showroom. Four includes Dad, me, our driver, and an office staff. The office staff is also a car buff just for information. That actually surprised me. Anyways we entered the showroom and a Xylo D2 in white was standing at the entrance. I asked my dad that this model is too basic. Get colored bumpers version at least. I asked a salesman whether I can sit inside and get a feel of it. Salesman replied,” Abhi nahi sir, 10 minute ke baad, jitna aapko bethna ka mann karega, utna bathyega.” (Not now, after 10 minutes, you can sit how much ever you want.) I was like ok but then realized that Dad and the office staff were gone missing. I saw them near the counter and they were paying some cash to salespeople. That’s when Dad came out and said,” Son, this is our car!” I was shocked for a moment. I always wanted a huge MUV as a car. Then took some pictures with it. But as it came to notice, this did not come with mEagle engine but with another mCrdi engine. Also it had no ABS and Airbag on passenger seat. Im not sure whether driver side there is airbag or not. Did not notice. Also Dad opted for the Captain Seat version. So I went to inspect the car. Some puja was done on the car when it had reached the stockyard last week. So there was no need of puja now. But the car was bone stock and super basic. No wheelcaps, no foglams, no stereo, no clock, no rear wiper, no sidestep. I told dad that we must accessorize the car so we can enjoy it atleast. So after some formalities, me and driver left to accessory shop with the staff. Staff followed us in his Activa. Dad went back to office.

First Passenger Impressions:
After sitting in my Civic, this car was feeling like mountain. Like I mean it, it was feeling so high. But it felt good. Also since sitting high, the view was awesome. Everything was visible from inside. Also surprise, all four windows have power windows. Though initially, some diesel clatter was audible, it was all silent after we got going. Doors need a strong push to close. Also the doors have very satisfying thump.

First Driving Impressions:
Steering is too light for a big car. This MUV is much to easy to drive. Too much. I couldn’t believe it at first. Clutch was also lighter than the Manza’s. Low end torque is amazing. It was a breeze to drive in the city. Though when starting the car, the gear stick wobbles a lot. Gears also slot easily. I thought it to be easier to drive than the Manza even. Seat comfort was decent too. Ok it isn’t the most comfortable front seat but it wasn’t bad. Steering size is also good. Not too big or too small. Once the revs go up, not much torque is left to pull. It’s not a fast car. It’s more of a mile muncher. Overtaking does require a downshift and some extra planning. Braking is good even though there is no ABS.

Accessories fitted:
- Wheelcaps
- Front bull bar and rear bar.
- Music system head unit and 4 speakers
- Carrier
- Side step
- Tints

Overall, I love this car. Looks decent and drives decent. Loving it all the way also now i'm missing it now that I am back. Civic feels too low and unsatisfying.(though that could be because of manual gearbox which i love compared to dull automatics). [clap]

Attached are some pics in the showroom without accesories

Attachments

Re: Mahinda Xylo D2-the Basic Family Mover

The only colour in which Xylo looks good is white and your car nice and have a happy mile munching.[drive]
I heard this engine gives more mileage than M-eagle so for office use and the fact you have a driver I think your dad took a good decision.

Congratulations buddy , that was a pretty quick decision from your dad and a good one too.

Sitting in a Xylo after having seated in a Civic all this while will be a huge difference , try the Fortuner and see it will be massive![evil]

See how good and addicting the low end torque is , i love diesels!!

The car is a bit basic but i understand it's purpose , so no issues.

Thread Starter #4

Now driving Civic after Xylo feels like burden. Civic has almost no low end torque. Also Civic's interiors feel to dark compared to Xylo's. I love my civic but this Xylo has created a new space in my heart.

seems your dad had already done the homework before taking you to the dealership :tongue:

for the intended purpose your dad was spot on.

Nice choice! Perfect for a people mover and this trim makes for a perfect buy! agree with Superbad your dad did his homework right. I like Xylo in Red too, and black. But this trim is best in white.

Great mile cruncher!

350Z

Core Team
Congrats Archit. That’s a perfect choice considering the type of usage of this car. Surprisingly the base variant is fairly well equipped and interiors are decent. Exteriors would look better with body colored parts in my view. Can you put up some fresh images after it was accessorized?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Accessories pics will posted in a bit. still waiting to get it from sister.

Final OTR price was 7,85,000 rupees. There was some discount on all Xylo variants. E8 had the most like almost 50-55,000 off. Also was offered 3 litres of free fuel and free insurance. Thats it really. We tried to haggle for Mahindra Genuine Wheelcaps for Xylo but it was 1800 rupess and what we got was a china make which looks exactly same for 750. :P ALso now seat covers are in place. Got a basic sound system with JVC HU that has aux and usb and 4 JVC Speakers. Also got some extra lights on the front bull guard.

Finally the ownership report is online!

For the purpose, even I feel your dad took a good decision. Infact, bare basic variant means lesser electronics & hence lesser chances of things going kaput. You have got a workhorse archit!

Love the pulling ability/low end torque of diesels na? Just imagine the tug if it was the mEagle & not the mCrdi !!! :-)

Regarding accessories, you should have painted the front & rear bumpers instead of going for guards. Now your Xylo will look like a cab, isnt it?

yes, it is every 5000 kms. The actual service is at 10k, 20k, 30k and so on.

At 5k, 15k, 25k, they just do a check up service which wont cost you much, unless any part is replaced or repaired.

Thread Starter #15
well then car will be going for servicing or i think it may have been done already. But it truly is a work horse and hope it can live up to its name.

Top Bottom