Low Running Diesel Car. Need Advice.

Thread Starter #1
I have been following TAI for a long time, yet this is my first post.

This is something thats puzzling me for quite a while.

I own fiat punto 2012 emotion which is now 6 months old. I bought considering the rising petrol prices and due to the awesome discounts that I recieved. Now that I got shifted to a location which is close to my house, my daily running is reduced to mere 10kms, but have decent runs during weekends, still I have just done 4000 odd kms in 6 months. Since I am now running around only in the city the FE that I am getting is also around 14kmpl.

Now, coming to the issue: I have a feeling that I am just not runnning enough for a diesel pot, I'm just worried about the EMI's I am paying for it. Sometimes I feel that I should have gone for a petrol swift/brio.

So I am wondering what to do with the scenario. Sometimes I feel that I should sell off the car, and buy a less expensive petrol car. Or should I keep this for long years, like maybe 8-10 years so that the value of the car can be utilized? [confused]

I am sorry for such a negative post, but pelase advise on this!

Mods: Please move the post if I have posted in the wrong place.

I would advise you against selling your car, unless you get a lipsmacking deal for this car, but again you never know what future holds for you what if in the future your travelling increases?
The depreciation which your car will have to go through now will not compensate in term's of lower EMI of petrol car's which you might buy.

no harm in exploring the 2nd hand car market / online sites which valuate the car and see what can u get. once you get a figure, it will be more easy for you to take the decision.

@wroom: Don't sell your car. The losses in depreciation and opportunity cost would far outweigh the low running. Keep the Punto for 10 years and you are certain to do much more than just break even. And believe you me, the mechanicals and build of this car are tough enough to survive our conditions for a decade or so.

Hi wroom, This is not the negative post. In fact I have not seen any other person considering that sort of calculation and accepting the current situation is not favorable.

I would not suggest you to re sell the car, as you would loose more in depreciation value of the car. Still you could contact few dealers, put up some ad on online sites and see what quote you get and then calculate how much you are getting. Then how much would be left, if any, after pre paying your loan amount and then for how much you would buy a new car.

There is no point in selling car now. Already your car has got the depriciation. Even if you sell the car now,you can not off set the difference amount. Rather you will loose the benefit of the diesel . So keep the car.

@wroom - there is no point selling your existing car. Given the current scenario today, can expect the petrol prices to go up further in comparison with diesel. Also just as your daily commute has shorten now, it may go up again in the future.
Diesel makes sense more so as you have already paid the premium for it. Enjoy it and go out for long weekend drives [:)].

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the inputs. Even my mind doesnt agree to sell her.
Today after I parked my car and was walking to the office, one guy asked me 'Hey! U own a Punto? Wow! '. [;)]
I checked the sites mentioned above and saw the maximum price that I could be getting, considering the fact that the car is in 'excellent' condition would be around 6.75 Lakh, but I assume no body would be willing to buy at that price, since there are plenty of offers in the new one.
Let me wait n see how it turns up.

Thanks for the inputs. Even my mind doesnt agree to sell her.
Today after I parked my car and was walking to the office, one guy asked me 'Hey! U own a Punto? Wow! '. [;)]
I checked the sites mentioned above and saw the maximum price that I could be getting, considering the fact that the car is in 'excellent' condition would be around 6.75 Lakh, but I assume no body would be willing to buy at that price, since there are plenty of offers in the new one.
Let me wait n see how it turns up.
good decision buddy [clap]
dont sell that punto
punto is an awesome car.

PUNTO, indeed the best diesel hatch buddy. dont sell it unless you have some serious issues. and btw you dont see swift n brio in the games like NFS Most Wanted..but in the case of Punto..you do see her.. [;)]

Good decision mate of not selling your car. It have to do nothing with what PUNTO have in terms of features or what car it is. But it would not made sense to sell it. And this is true for any other car you would have owned.

it wont be a bad deal if you could find somebody ready to pay what you had in your mind ,say 6 lakhs!
Whats wrong in driving a newer car which suits you daily need.

Just give a try in ad sections.

I have been following TAI for a long time, yet this is my first post.

This is something thats puzzling me for quite a while.

I own fiat punto 2012 emotion which is now 6 months old. I bought considering the rising petrol prices and due to the awesome discounts that I recieved. Now that I got shifted to a location which is close to my house, my daily running is reduced to mere 10kms, but have decent runs during weekends, still I have just done 4000 odd kms in 6 months. Since I am now running around only in the city the FE that I am getting is also around 14kmpl.

Now, coming to the issue: I have a feeling that I am just not runnning enough for a diesel pot, I'm just worried about the EMI's I am paying for it. Sometimes I feel that I should have gone for a petrol swift/brio.

So I am wondering what to do with the scenario. Sometimes I feel that I should sell off the car, and buy a less expensive petrol car. Or should I keep this for long years, like maybe 8-10 years so that the value of the car can be utilized? [confused]

I am sorry for such a negative post, but pelase advise on this!

Mods: Please move the post if I have posted in the wrong place.

Too late to revert back. If you try to undo you will end up in the same position or worse position (costing wise). Do not sell. Enjoy the torque.

Top Bottom