Loved Punto, Booked Micra and Got Jazzed

Thread Starter #76
One update to share:

Last Sunday, while taking a u-turn in an under-construction road, the car got stuck by a boulder hitting its underbelly. I had to reverse to move the car out of it.

The fault was all mine- although the boulder was not expected at the u-turn but I tried to take the u-turn too quickly in view of the traffic rush and totally missed the boulder.

After the impact, the car began to sound very coarsely. Engine note resembled that of a diesel engine. I looked under the car and found that metal plates near silencer has been damaged. But everything else looked OK & no leakage was observed. I called Honda W/S and they agree to pick up the car next day. This pick up & drop service is offered free of cost and very much convenient for people like us who are bonded by office hours.

Next day, they picked up the car as promised and after diagnosis informed me that silencer alignment has been distorted. Total repair cost came as Rs.550/- and car was delivered within 4 hours. Now the engine note is back to normal and car is running fine. [thumbsup] to Honda service from my side.

Last edited:
Nuvo, Congratulations for getting Jazz, I was want to buy a petrol car it has to be Jazz and then Fabia. This car is mini Innova in terms of space and honda reliability.[cheers]

Enjoy and post a detailed ownership review along with FE.

Jazzy,Congratulation for Jazz. This is one of the best colour for Jazz[clap]

Hi jazzy.. looking great in sunfilms, I am still waiting to get my select UT.. got some relief today.. atleast they are going to start some production. so there is a meaning in waiting and the queue is moving day by day. Also I have gone through this forum and understood that Jazz is the best available hatch back with lots of positives & less negatives in the petrol segment... Thanks guys... :-)

Nuvo, could you please tell me how was it like maintaining this car ? Its great that it cost you only Rs 550 for silencer adjustment. How are other service charges, parts replacement prices ? I heard that the spare parts are costly compared to others. Is it so ? I am planning to buy Select version of this car. I also have i20 in mind.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #84
Maintenance is not an issue.

1. First free service @ 1000 km = No charge

2. 2nd free service @ 3000 km = around 1000.

3. 3rd free service @ 5000 km = around 3000.

4. 4th Paid service after 6 months of 3 = around 4000.

I have changed one ORVM (not the casing, only mirror) which cost me around 300. I am glad they they did not insist on changing the entire casing/housing.

What I have gathered from the net is that labor cost of Hyundai has been increased considerably and Hyundai is no longer a cheap to maintain.

One point of caution: Availability of parts was an issue during Nov'11-Apr'12 due to Thailand flood. So if such natural calamity strikes again then this issue might appear again.

@akhilgopalg: Battery is amaron (sorry for the delay in replying)

Maintenance is not an issue.

1. First free service @ 1000 km = No charge

2. 2nd free service @ 3000 km = around 1000.

3. 3rd free service @ 5000 km = around 3000.

4. 4th Paid service after 6 months of 3 = around 4000.

I have changed one ORVM (not the casing, only mirror) which cost me around 300. I am glad they they did not insist on changing the entire casing/housing.

What I have gathered from the net is that labor cost of Hyundai has been increased considerably and Hyundai is no longer a cheap to maintain.

One point of caution: Availability of parts was an issue during Nov'11-Apr'12 due to Thailand flood. So if such natural calamity strikes again then this issue might appear again.

@akhilgopalg: Battery is amaron (sorry for the delay in replying)

Looks like your maintenance price is increasing by 1000 after each service [roll]
The issue is actually not with availability, its actually with cost. I found these prices online.
Jazz :
Air Filter : Rs. 442
Oil Filter : Rs. 158
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1995

i20 :
Air Filter : Rs. 345
Oil Filter : Rs. 85
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1309

This is one of the reason which is putting brake on my desire to buy this car [:)]

BTW, what about the mileage ? Hows that faring ?

Also, is it possible that your earlier damage to silencer was due to low ground clearance ?

Last edited:

You are right Hyundai's are getting reasonably expensive to maintain,i am sure Honda will be better prepared after the Thailand flood, they started increasing the localisation in India.

Also, is there defoggers for mirrors in Jazz? Sadly, Jazz dealer here is not offering any discounts where as Hyundai are offering Rs 20000 exchange bonus. You said you got corporate discount. I work in a software company here. If it is available, is it applicable for me ?

Thread Starter #88
@kumarprabhatan:

Two thing you should never miss in the calculation for ownership is the labour cost and child part policy (replace only the damage part in lieu of entire assembly).

One of my friend has scratched the tail light glass cover of his Santro. Hyundai replaced entire tail light assembly instead of the cover.

Considering that engine oil was replaced in 3rd service and 4th service is a paid one (with oil change), I am OK with maintenance cost. Additionally, Honda dealer is providing me free pick up & drop facility.

Now its time to answer your questions:

1. Mileage is around 14 kmpl with 100% AC and 70% city driving.

2. Impact on silencer is due to bad road condition, my oversight & low GC. But I do not expect such thing to happen again (boulder in U-turn and I could not see it). I will blame myself more than GC for the mishap.

3. Jazz does not have defoggers in the mirrors.

Now its time for one suggestion:

About Jazz & i20 comparison, I suggest you to take comprehensive test drive of both cars and specially drive the i20 in the highway.

I did not consider i20 at all during my hunt because:

1. Car is underpowered.

2. Handling & steering is scary for me specially at above 60 kmph.

I have no idea about the details of corporate discount (what are the companies listed by Honda) but one thing for sure - I have not heard of any discount going on Jazz (after the launch of face-lifted model).

I took a TD of of both cars. Following is what I found.
1. Jazz has far more space than i20
2. i20 has more power during initial pickup (1st and 2nd gear) compared to Jazz.

Considering Hyundai's Rs 20000 exchange bonus, I will have pay Rs 50000 more for Jazz compared to i20.

Rear AC would be a big + for Jazz. Hyundai guys told me that they removed rear AC vents in new igen i20..

We are planning to get the Urban Titanium Select. But waiting period for that model+colour combo is 3 months minimum ATM (as told by honda representative).

A lot of people have said that the after sales service and price of spare parts is very high for Jazz. Can anyone please tell me if this is true? How high is it compared to other manufacturers?

Top Bottom